Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

On my new wrangler I opted for the Sky One Touch top as I couldn't resist the ability to open the top with a button and then close it back up to jump on highway / rain / etc. My question is does anyone has any info to share on care? I don't find any maintenance instructions anywhere - I presume it's black twill. Anyone with insight - much appreciated.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
On my new wrangler I opted for the Sky One Touch top as I couldn't resist the ability to open the top with a button and then close it back up to jump on highway / rain / etc. My question is does anyone has any info to share on care? I don't find any maintenance instructions anywhere - I presume it's black twill. Anyone with insight - much appreciated.
Nice choice :like:. My 2 cents worth - no auto car wash, hand wash only. I'd say the same for soft top, same material. Might not matter much but better safe than sorry.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I take mine through the auto car wash. In this car wash the long flaps are drug over the top. The beaters only touch the sides of the Jeep.

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
This has been discussed somewhat in many posts ... but seeking insights from actual owners who have the power top for a few months now.

How is the wind noise at speeds above 60 mph / 100 kph? Does the power top flutter / make too much wind noise .. whistling, etc ?
Anybody have any regrets getting the One-touch Skytop? Most notably, I have read things like its difficult to find even the basic after market accessories like grab handles if you have the power top.
How does the power top perform in the cold+snow? Does it preserve the heat? Some forum members have reported that the power top fabric transfers enough moisture (when not in use) to cause condensation buildup on the inside. Have you experienced this?

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Rubi with the power top and your insights will be valuable in helping me decide.

Sponsored

rubicon20032003

First Name
Joe wrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
This has been discussed somewhat in many posts ... but seeking insights from actual owners who have the power top for a few months now.

How is the wind noise at speeds above 60 mph / 100 kph? Does the power top flutter / make too much wind noise .. whistling, etc ?
Anybody have any regrets getting the One-touch Skytop? Most notably, I have read things like its difficult to find even the basic after market accessories like grab handles if you have the power top.
How does the power top perform in the cold+snow? Does it preserve the heat? Some forum members have reported that the power top fabric transfers enough moisture (when not in use) to cause condensation buildup on the inside. Have you experienced this?

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Rubi with the power top and your insights will be valuable in helping me decide.
I like mine.Had with snow here.Heat in cabs seems same as my 18 hardtop.Noise about the same .Happy I got it.Nice to push button to open and close it .Wont go with anyother top option besides it now

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
No louder if not maybe even quieter than the hard top. Absolutely zero flutter or movement of any kind at highway speed. Absolutely love it I am hoping it is here to stay for years to come as I will opt. for one on every Jeep I own moving forward. Can’t speak to how it handles snow being in Florida but it certainly stays cool in the sweltering heat with it closed and the AC on.

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As for heat retention, we’ll i have one in Milwaukee - super cold up here. Only time I noticed the top as an issue was when the ambient temp dropped to -15 below zero (ambient). Not sure how a hardtop would have faired but my wife’s LX570 was warmer.

Noise is only an issue when you’re under an over pass in the city.

I wouldn’t want to go on an all day interstate speed trip in it. But I wouldn’t want to do that in a hardtop JLUR either (call me soft).

If you love the convenience of having on demand open air I’d highly recommend.

I can drive to work in the rain and drive home in the sun with the top open!

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Plenty of 80mph drives with 20-40 mph crosswinds and gusts. It was definitely much quieter than a soft top. The same sound level as my old JKU freedom top.
As for heat retention... This compares to my old hardtop.
The new JLU seat heater seems a lot warmer than the JKU. My gloves got a lot of use in my JKU. With the new steering wheel heaters I never touched my gloves this winter.

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Agreed with the posts above from owners with the sky feature. It's great, no noise difference and no flapping (have had it at highway speeds with strong cross wind). The only question I have is care for the top - nothing in the owners manual about how to keep it in the best condition over time.

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I am especially happy with mine as I sit in a parking lot a lot of days waiting on the gkids to get out of school. The old fiberglass top was like a freezer in the winter and an oven in the summer. It did great in the cold weather keeping me comfortable without running the engine and on the few warm days we have had so far I can open it just enough while sitting to let the heat out and the interior stays comfortable.

As for noise, in extreemly high wind and driving at 70 mph it is real noisy. But all other times is reasonable.

I never hardly would fool with taking my freedom t tops off but with the push button I find myself cracking the roof open often (and easily).

It was the only reason my wife agreed to let me trade too.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR

How is the wind noise at speeds above 60 mph / 100 kph? Noise is less than full soft top, but more than a hard top. Seems perfectly acceptable. Does the power top flutter / make too much wind noise .. whistling, etc ? None.
Anybody have any regrets getting the One-touch Skytop? Absolutely not. In fact, I traded a JL I purchased in January for the one I have now, purchased in October...just for this top. Most notably, I have read things like its difficult to find even the basic after market accessories like grab handles if you have the power top. OEM grab handles wont work, and I've not looked at any others, but I'm sure there are some out there...I just don't need them.
How does the power top perform in the cold+snow? Seemed fine. No sagging. Probably as good as a full soft top, or better. Does it preserve the heat? No, not really. I mean, its a canvas top. No better or worse than any other convertible car out there from any manufacturer. Some forum members have reported that the power top fabric transfers enough moisture (when not in use) to cause condensation buildup on the inside. Have you experienced this? Not one time and here in TN, we have had our wettest winter on record. It actually rained for 14 days straight. No issues.

See my comments in red. Hope that helps some.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
See my comments in red. Hope that helps some.
Also note though that the JL has more factory built in grab handles than the JK

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. Excellent feedback. I am convinced and will be ordering the Sky One-touch Rubi.