Sky One-Touch Power Top Production Update

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I can't imagine getting that top. You can't take it off. You can only remove the side windows. It's nothing more than a big ass sunroof. You get that feature with the factory soft top. I can have the top open in 30 seconds. I run the safari look on mine allot. There is no cool look to the power top.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I don’t know what the draw to a 3/4 convertible sailcloth top is - essentially you are paying 4K for an almost “panoramic” sunroof.
I need a more secure top than a traditional soft top can offer as our corporate office is located in a meth user neighborhood. I want to leave the top up for security and dust.
However, when I jump in the Wrangler to drive a short distance I want the convenience of dropping the top at the push of a button.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I need a more secure top than a traditional soft top can offer as our corporate office is located in a meth user neighborhood. I want to leave the top up for security and dust.
However, when I jump in the Wrangler to drive a short distance I want the convenience of dropping the top at the push of a button.
I’ve read several places, including on this forum, that thieves break the window to steal what’s inside a Wrangler or any other convertible, regardless of whether or not it has a hard top or cloth top.

Does anyone in law enforcement or insurance know if this is, in fact, true?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’ve read several places, including on this forum, that thieves break the window to steal what’s inside a Wrangler or any other convertible, regardless of whether or not it has a hard top or cloth top.

Does anyone in law enforcement or insurance know if this is, in fact, true?
It’s all in where you live. If you live in an apartment complex, a Jeep is a great target. Parts can be sold to a large audience and they are simple to steal.

That said, it isn’t any more of an issue than any other car. I’ve kept the top of of mine in several places and never had an issue. But if you live in an area where car theft is high- you will have issues. Statistically the Jeep is lower than your more common vehicles (f150, civics, etc). You aren’t penalized on your premium because the stats don’t back it.

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I have had two convertibles with slashed tops. Once the mth heads slash the top they unlock the car. There really isn't any security with a JKU soft top. Just start unzipping windows. I do not know... Is the JLU more secure.
I have had a Freedom hardtop for the past few years and the local Meth-heads left it alone.
I suppose it depends on the thieves.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I will never understand why Jeep didn't go this route. MyTop has it available in fastback and squareback.

Literally up and down in 5 seconds minus the latches without ever having to leave your seat

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
FWIW, and it may be very little, I am working on a poor man's power top hack for the JL, and if/when I prove concept I will publish the results here.

I have no intention on selling it, so I'm fine to discuss the preliminaries, which I'll do on its own post.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will never understand why Jeep didn't go this route. MyTop has it available in fastback and squareback.

Literally up and down in 5 seconds minus the latches without ever having to leave your seat

That looks like shit in the down position. Looks like it's a one option top. I'll still take the premium soft top anyday. Sunrider, safari, and all the way down.

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
I wanted the power roof for a multitude of reasons. I travel with dogs, constantly. I have three of them. If I stop somewhere to pick up milk with the top down-the dogs are not likely to stay in the vehicle. The other reason is, I travel all over the country-and no, I don't have the time or energy to leave my hotel and wrestle with a damn top in a skirt and suit jacket. I will push the button and have a nice breezy ride to work. I also, likewise do not want to come out of my office in a panic when there's a downpour and have to again wrestle with the top. Some things, are not all about the coolness-some things just plain need to be about function and fitting your lifestyle.

mmazz22

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I wanted the power roof for a multitude of reasons. I travel with dogs, constantly. I have three of them. If I stop somewhere to pick up milk with the top down-the dogs are not likely to stay in the vehicle. The other reason is, I travel all over the country-and no, I don't have the time or energy to leave my hotel and wrestle with a damn top in a skirt and suit jacket. I will push the button and have a nice breezy ride to work. I also, likewise do not want to come out of my office in a panic when there's a downpour and have to again wrestle with the top. Some things, are not all about the coolness-some things just plain need to be about function and fitting your lifestyle.

I agree! for 12 years I have had 3 piece freedom top, two soft tops, it sucks. I had been dreaming of a push button roof for years. Once I saw it was coming bam I ordered it on 6/8! It got to the point where I took the roof off in May and didnt put it back on until October. Only took it out on for sure nice days. Drove my SUV the other days. Which completly sucks. So cool to turn in SUV, sold soft top two door jeep and am loving this power top jeep. Im telling you in a 5 minute drive I might open and shut the roof 8 times just because I can. hahahha. I love this vehicle more than any vehicle I have ever had.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I agree! for 12 years I have had 3 piece freedom top, two soft tops, it sucks. I had been dreaming of a push button roof for years. Once I saw it was coming bam I ordered it on 6/8! It got to the point where I took the roof off in May and didnt put it back on until October. Only took it out on for sure nice days. Drove my SUV the other days. Which completly sucks. So cool to turn in SUV, sold soft top two door jeep and am loving this power top jeep. Im telling you in a 5 minute drive I might open and shut the roof 8 times just because I can. hahahha. I love this vehicle more than any vehicle I have ever had.
With the sliding top open, how does it compare to having an entire soft top folded down?

mmazz22

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I’m not sure it looks as “cool”
But the feel to me is amazing!!!!

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now you can have the sunrider for the hardtop. Throw it open on the fly. That's what I'm getting for my hard top. At 600 for the premium is a nice option compared to the power top

joecitrix97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 YJ Sahara, '18 JLU Sahara
I saw a Rubicon with a Power Top in person at the dealership showroom floor today as I was waiting on an oil change for my JLU Sahara. I must admit it looks impressive. I wonder however in 5-10 years what kind of maintenance problems that top is going to have?

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW Z4, 2015 Edge (to be replaced by 2019 Sahara UL)
We had this on hubby’s 2009 Liberty and LOVED IT! It was called a Sky Slider then. We didn’t have leakage that I recall, but it was really noisy on the freeway. When we saw this is back on the Wrangler it was a done deal. We were going to buy out hubby’s Edge lease that’s almost up, but that roof made him decide to return Edge & buy a Wrangler. It was all over except the signature as soon as that showed up!
Sponsored