First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I just received a second email from Chysler confirming third quarter availability and indicating they would send word to Jeep Customer Assitance informing them to the current delay. Here is the email from Nicole at [email protected]
Once again my first name is Dave:

Dear Dave:

Thank you for your reply!

As the Jeep Brand Marketing Mentor for FCA US LLC; the information I have provided would be the most accurate and up to date. I will be sure to send word to our Jeep Customer Assistance agents in order to educate them on the Sky One-Touch Power Top timing. Again, this option is slated for sometime within the 3rd Quarter of 2018.

Again, our best suggestion would be for you to keep in contact with your preferred Jeep dealership as the ordering system changes on a frequent basis. Your preferred Jeep dealership will be first informed as to when they are capable of placing an order on your behalf and are the best resource for the most up-to-date factory order timing and product information.

If you have any further product questions about the current Jeep lineup, you are always welcome to reply back to this email and I will respond back to you as promptly as I can. If you prefer, you can also reach us directly with your questions at the Jeep Product Information Center by calling 1-877-426-5337. When you call, we can connect you directly to your local dealership, providing your call is during the dealer's hours off operation.

Thank you for your email, Dave. Please stay tuned!

Sincerely,

Nicole
Jeep Product Information Center​

Templeton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Sport; Lexus GX
I just received a second email from Chysler confirming third quarter availability and indicating they would send word to Jeep Customer Assitance informing them to the current delay. Here is the email from Nicole at [email protected]
Once again my first name is Dave:

Dear Dave:

Thank you for your reply!

As the Jeep Brand Marketing Mentor for FCA US LLC; the information I have provided would be the most accurate and up to date. I will be sure to send word to our Jeep Customer Assistance agents in order to educate them on the Sky One-Touch Power Top timing. Again, this option is slated for sometime within the 3rd Quarter of 2018.

Again, our best suggestion would be for you to keep in contact with your preferred Jeep dealership as the ordering system changes on a frequent basis. Your preferred Jeep dealership will be first informed as to when they are capable of placing an order on your behalf and are the best resource for the most up-to-date factory order timing and product information.

If you have any further product questions about the current Jeep lineup, you are always welcome to reply back to this email and I will respond back to you as promptly as I can. If you prefer, you can also reach us directly with your questions at the Jeep Product Information Center by calling 1-877-426-5337. When you call, we can connect you directly to your local dealership, providing your call is during the dealer's hours off operation.

Thank you for your email, Dave. Please stay tuned!

Sincerely,

Nicole
Jeep Product Information Center​
GREGODAV, they just announced we can order Power Top April 12th!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Removeable top not recommended to be removed? What do the hardcore rock climbers do? If it’s $4k from the factory than how much to repair if you roll? I get the convenience but if Jeep’s goal is to turn the JL into a soccer mom platform than why not just go full integrated hard top with non-removeable front window and lose the roll bars? Slant everything for better MPG. Wait. They have that already. It’s called a Grand Cherokee.

Not hating. Just trying to grasp the market niche. I’m good with pulling out the carpet, removing the hard top and if needed putting on a bikini top. Granted been a while since I had my Jeep but have those gotten more difficult to put on?

It’s a Jeep. It’s an off-road monster that’s gotten pavement friendly but now it seems Jeep is reversing the polarity of why it was created in 45. Plus is it really $6k to replace the pump post warranty? Wouldn’t that be better spent on rear Dana 60 with spare cash to add other goodies?

Gotta admit it’s convenient but I have to be able to take it all off. Otherwise I don’t see the incentive to roll around town in a box with a nose that will never ride like an Escalade. Bad enough that box is pushing north of $50k. Now it’s costing $3,500-$4,000 to add a sunroof when that’s usually an $1,100 to $1,400 on the typical soccer mom SUV.

BTW, the math doesn’t seem right when comparing this to dual tops and hard top liner. Why? Because you actually get to full tops. Not the sides and back of one and top part of the other. Added cost must be the pump.

Bad enough you have to purchase extended warranty for $170 on top $130 labor to flash for bigger tires we all know many Jeepers will seek but to charge $3,500 plus so you don’t ruin your nail polish is nuts. Don’t get me wrong. I pay gladly for convenience but where’s the convenience of fully topless which is what makes this off-road/on-road beast so attractive? Want to gauge me? How about Dana 60 from the factory versus selling it to me after market via Mopar? With 37” tire options and 2” remote reservoir Fox shock lift.

It’s an option. Shouldn’t affect EPA MPGs. I’m sure a few more robust and adventurist soccer moms will order them. I know for a fact lots of fanatics who have to settle for a Rubicon definitely will. Guessing $4k seems about right upgrade price to Dana 60 from the stock 44s. Gotta be dollars on the lift with most of it remote reservoir and a grand from 33 to 37?

Who cares? We will pay it if we are willing to dish out this many Benjamins for a glorified rolling fabric. Am I nuts?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Removeable top not recommended to be removed? What do the hardcore rock climbers do? If it’s $4k from the factory than how much to repair if you roll? I get the convenience but if Jeep’s goal is to turn the JL into a soccer mom platform than why not just go full integrated hard top with non-removeable front window and lose the roll bars? Slant everything for better MPG. Wait. They have that already. It’s called a Grand Cherokee.

Not hating. Just trying to grasp the market niche. I’m good with pulling out the carpet, removing the hard top and if needed putting on a bikini top. Granted been a while since I had my Jeep but have those gotten more difficult to put on?

It’s a Jeep. It’s an off-road monster that’s gotten pavement friendly but now it seems Jeep is reversing the polarity of why it was created in 45. Plus is it really $6k to replace the pump post warranty? Wouldn’t that be better spent on rear Dana 60 with spare cash to add other goodies?

Gotta admit it’s convenient but I have to be able to take it all off. Otherwise I don’t see the incentive to roll around town in a box with a nose that will never ride like an Escalade. Bad enough that box is pushing north of $50k. Now it’s costing $3,500-$4,000 to add a sunroof when that’s usually an $1,100 to $1,400 on the typical soccer mom SUV.

BTW, the math doesn’t seem right when comparing this to dual tops and hard top liner. Why? Because you actually get to full tops. Not the sides and back of one and top part of the other. Added cost must be the pump.

Bad enough you have to purchase extended warranty for $170 on top $130 labor to flash for bigger tires we all know many Jeepers will seek but to charge $3,500 plus so you don’t ruin your nail polish is nuts. Don’t get me wrong. I pay gladly for convenience but where’s the convenience of fully topless which is what makes this off-road/on-road beast so attractive? Want to gauge me? How about Dana 60 from the factory versus selling it to me after market via Mopar? With 37” tire options and 2” remote reservoir Fox shock lift.

It’s an option. Shouldn’t affect EPA MPGs. I’m sure a few more robust and adventurist soccer moms will order them. I know for a fact lots of fanatics who have to settle for a Rubicon definitely will. Guessing $4k seems about right upgrade price to Dana 60 from the stock 44s. Gotta be dollars on the lift with most of it remote reservoir and a grand from 33 to 37?

Who cares? We will pay it if we are willing to dish out this many Benjamins for a glorified rolling fabric. Am I nuts?
What do the harcore guys do? Probably just pick another option. I gotta say, most of your rant is about personal preference. The power top is not for me, but I can certainly see it being for a lot if others. How many young people do you see driving a jeep? I see a lot. How many do you think actually off road? I doubt many.

Ultimately the more choices, the better! You don't have to think that someone else's choices would be your choice to understand why their choice makes sense to them.

As far as I am concerned, the better question would be: why the hell do I see so many hard tops on a vehicle meant to be a convertible?!?!? Just buy a regular SUV!!! ;)

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

The Sky One-Touch is not for everyone.

Driving into work, on this morning's commute, it started to spit rain two blocks from the house. Pulled over - closed the front-flip Sunrider front seat top and continued on my way. Three minutes later the rain stopped. It is that simple. 98% of my Rubicon driving is in town. My wife is in the Jeep maybe 10% of the time. She always wants the windows up and the AC on. I always want the windows down and the top open. On my commute I see half a dozen Jeeps. Everyone one of them had their top up due to the threat of rain.

I hope to increase my top down driving by over 100% with the Sky One-Touch. My big reason for the Jeep, is to enjoy the outdoors. The Sky One-Touch Power Top will me enjoy more of Mother Nature.

It is true you can never completely remove all of the top. But, from the driver’s perspective most of the remaining top is hidden behind the roll cage or in only visible in the rear view mirror.

We just finished a six hour road trip in my 2014 JKU with the soft top. On the first leg of the trip, I fought 35 mph crosswinds and the noise inside was deafening. According to early reviews, the new Power Top will alleviate much of the noise.

To have a top that is quieter and will let me enjoy the great outdoors twice as much, I would probably have paid more than Jeep was charging, but I am glad they kept the price reasonable.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I can see how that came across as a rant so let me amend it. Why not just put an actual hardtop as in any SUV and have a better solution? Structurally better. Probably quieter. Can still have removable side panels. Lose the roll bar as the target market for this would be choosing another option. I think it would look nicer viewed from outside without that bar in the back or use a different roll bar where the rear lines up with the rear pillar and hidden.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
This looks bad ass. Obviously in an Unlimited.

CABF091A-A1E5-4F73-A77D-D59AAD69657D.jpeg

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I spent most of Mother’s Day researching this top trying to grab every glimpse on nugget of information. Until you posted this. I know it’s persinal preference and really not knocking another’s choice but have to question the marketing and design team who came up with this thought. It’s as if that prior pic I posted was a concept and just slapped it together with what they had without refining it. Perhaps it’s just me but relocating the rear roll bar might help aesthetically. If you can’t take it off than might as well look the part having to live with it.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I aggree with you on the looks of rear trailing Rollbar. I am guessing designers kept it to retain engineering, keep pricing down, and speed up production by utilizing the existing jeep bones.

The "Sky" One-Touch Power Top will be my eighth convertible. Myfirst was a 66 Willys' CJ5. I do love to go on thrilling trails, but lets face it, I want to put a 70,000 miles on this commuter before I a sereiously risk scraping up all the paint on rocks and trees.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I spent most of Mother’s Day researching this top trying to grab every glimpse on nugget of information. Until you posted this. I know it’s persinal preference and really not knocking another’s choice but have to question the marketing and design team who came up with this thought. It’s as if that prior pic I posted was a concept and just slapped it together with what they had without refining it. Perhaps it’s just me but relocating the rear roll bar might help aesthetically. If you can’t take it off than might as well look the part having to live with it.
Well, a couple things. To redesign the top and lose the roll bar would be a significant change (structurally) to the current Wrangler. That would mean they would have to have 2 separate body's for the 4 doors and 2 for the 2 doors. Secondly, that would also mean 2 separate certifications/crash tests/etc.. financially, it just doesn't make sense to me.

In response to your comments about the pictures of the concept and the new design. The concept is a 2 door. The 4 door doesn't look as "clean" because it has the empty space of the rear doors. Also, the concept indeed dies have a roll bar, it's just padded in black and camouflages itself.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
How many new Jeep owners will know this top doesn’t come off? I didn’t. I’ve known dealers that would be upfront on this considering it’s common knowledge jeeps go top less. I’ve also known those who are either clueless or not voluntarily any info that might steer Sales away.

Why these discussions are needed. At least that’s how i view them. Inform the consumer. Buyers regret is the worse. I know. Been there. Too often.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
This looks bad ass. Obviously in an Unlimited.

CABF091A-A1E5-4F73-A77D-D59AAD69657D.jpeg
Was referring to current JL where only the Unlimited gets the power top. Wasn’t worded well. We all know that’s a two door. :)
Sponsored