Simple OBD2 Code Reader

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a friend that is elderly and needs a code reader and reset device. He's tech challenged and something simple yet maximizes the information is what I'm seeking for him.

Your recommendations are appreciated.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have a friend that is elderly and needs a code reader and reset device. He's tech challenged and something simple yet maximizes the information is what I'm seeking for him.

Your recommendations are appreciated.
Unfortunately, with the JL Wrangler it's not that simple. The JL utilizes a security gateway module that complicates things a bit. The security gateway module prevents access to the vehicle from the OBD2 port by anything other than the dealer diagnostic tools. In order to use an OBD2 reader/scanner, you need to bypass the security gateway module. You can purchase this and then use an OBD2 reader/scanner of your choice.

The other option is to purchase a bypass cable like this, an OBD2 reader/scanner like this and use the JSCAN app to read and clear codes.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Unfortunately, with the JL Wrangler it's not that simple. The JL utilizes a security gateway module that complicates things a bit. The security gateway module prevents access to the vehicle from the OBD2 port by anything other than the dealer diagnostic tools. In order to use an OBD2 reader/scanner, you need to bypass the security gateway module. You can purchase this and then use an OBD2 reader/scanner of your choice.

The other option is to purchase a bypass cable like this, an OBD2 reader/scanner like this and use the JSCAN app to read and clear codes.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why data on the torque app is so limited. It's mostly emissions related data. I have a 4xe, so that's near useless, lol.

It should be illegal for manufacturers to block access. Going to get the bypass on principle. Any issues leaving it in for service?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Is the bypass cable required with the bypass gateway? I think I read the cable was needed for writing and clearing codes.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Did a good read through, thanks. Ordering the cable to experiment with. I'm not sure if JScan supports any hybrid options yet.

Getting to understand how Tazer works now. It's a combo gateway bypass/writer. Only thing Tazer seems to lack is being able read/display live data.

Does having a bypass in disable telematic system?

Sponsored

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Really?
My regular 3 year old OBDLink MX device and app “just worked” for me on my 2021 JLUR with the 3.6 V6. I needed to reset the check engine light after loosening a ground wire flipped it on. Nothing special with regard to cables or apps.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
For just reading codes no bypass cable is needed but if you say want to write info to the Jeep to change perimeters you will need to get a bypass cable or module to get past the SGW

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Really?
My regular 3 year old OBDLink MX device and app “just worked” for me on my 2021 JLUR with the 3.6 V6. I needed to reset the check engine light after loosening a ground wire flipped it on. Nothing special with regard to cables or apps.
It only gets very basic parameters. I suspect anything possibly needed for emissions testing. It won't read any other modules. I confirmed with JScan I'm locked but I just got the bypass cable today.

I'm my case, I'm hoping to get access to the hybrid data, if or when it will ever be available.

It would be nice if there was a switchable bypass cable, so we could reneable the firewall without removing.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It only gets very basic parameters. I suspect anything possibly needed for emissions testing. It won't read any other modules. I confirmed with JScan I'm locked but I just got the bypass cable today.

I'm my case, I'm hoping to get access to the hybrid data, if or when it will ever be available.

It would be nice if there was a switchable bypass cable, so we could reneable the firewall without removing.
I’m a bit more risky than most I have my SGW bypassed all the time and just have my cable tucked under the dash, I will at some point most likely get a bypass module from Zauto so I can get rid of the cable, having the module will make it easier as I can just plug my reader/programmer into the OBDII port and be done.

Sponsored

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a Tazer Mini which allows me to clear the CEL. Do I still need the gateway in order to use a reader? Like swap them out? Thanks

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have a Tazer Mini which allows me to clear the CEL. Do I still need the gateway in order to use a reader? Like swap them out? Thanks
@Caymanedge

With your Tazer JL Mini installed/ in place .... it provides the necessary Security Gateway Bypass.

So, you can just plug in your OBDll Scanner into the OBDll port and have at it... as the Tazer JL Mini is handling all SGW bypass duties.

That Tazer JL Mini in the mix/connected will have no negative impact.

Sponsored