First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Planning a trip to the San Juan Mtns in September and looking for input on which town serves better as a base for the trails in the area. Planning on things like Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, Black Bear maybe some others.
Thanks!
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Silverton is about half the size of Ouray. It is right in the middle of where you want to be to access all the trails you mentioned but it might be a bit shy on amenities.

Ouray is farther away from the jump off points & trailheads but if you want to dine out, stay in a motel, get fuel and do some laundry then that would be a better choice.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m also headed there in September. I’ve been looking for a place to stay. There’s really not many choices in the entire area as far as nicer hotels or Airbnb/VRBO listings. There’s places, but they are not new, modern, or nice. My wife is something of a lodging snob. There’s a few decent condos in Durango which is further.

OP
OP
west tex

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m also headed there in September. I’ve been looking for a place to stay. There’s really not many choices in the entire area as far as nicer hotels or Airbnb/VRBO listings. There’s places, but they are not new, modern, or nice. My wife is something of a lodging snob. There’s a few decent condos in Durango which is further.
I hear ya.

Try looking at Trip Advisor for ideas on lodging and restaurants. I already have and either location looks like it'd work for us.

Fortunately for me, the wife isn't all that choosy when it comes to accommodations. Clean with indoor plumbing and hot coffee in the morning are her minimums.

Sponsored

OP
OP
west tex

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
west tex

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm 70 in 03/22 I hear you clearly.

I'm trying to get in some long-delayed Jeeping while I still have the energy to take it on. Did Moab in October and now Colorado is this year's journey. I did a lot 4-wheeling/off roading back in the 80s when I was still a youngster in my mid 30s. Still have the itch, though.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Fortunately for me, the wife isn't all that choosy when it comes to accommodations. Clean with indoor plumbing and hot coffee in the morning are her minimums.
Sounds like my wife. We stayed at the Triangle Motel in Silverton a couple of years ago. It's not much to look at but would meet your minimum requirements. There are a few restaurants in town but they can be busy in season. And, there's a coin operated laundry down the street.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
We stayed in Ouray last sept for the JJ Ouray event. It was great. We stayed in a historic hotel right downtown in walking distance to bars and food. The hot springs resort there is great also. It was nice and close to most trails.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
We settled on staying in Ouray to run the Badge trails. We’ll be there the first week of September. If you’re there at the same time and want to wheel together let me know.

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We will be in Ouray from the 6th - 9th of September and staying at the KOA. from there we will head into Moab for 10 days. We may see you up there.

Bass Fisher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Just made reservations at the KOA in Ouray for 2nd week in August. Collecting badges and staying in an RV.
Are there guides or any local clubs to reach out to for finding locals to go on the passes with?
Sponsored