Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sr. Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning on a trip to Colorado in August and I would really like to run the full Alpine loop, but I only have one day to spare that I could use to run it. I don't mind long days on the trail, but wanted some input on whether or not it was even possible.
The route I have mapped out is Mineral creek up to Engineer Pass and then over to Lake City followed by Cinnamon Pass back over to Animas Forks and then California Pass, Hurricane pass and Corkscrew Gulch back to HWY 550 and back to Ouray. Is this crazy or is it doable?
Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
It's doable but long. Some slow stretches on that return through Hurricane / Corkscrew if I am remembering correctly, anyway - been a long time for me and it may have changed considerably.

HOWEVER... if your day is getting away from you, you can always abort the loop at Animas Forks and head down to Silverton and out to the highway that way instead of heading up to the Corkscrew leg. From Silverton its a quick zip back to Ouray once on the highway - and still gorgeous scenery through the canyon down into Ouray.

DO NOT abort at Lake City unless you have no choice - it is a LONG drive on pavement back to Ouray from there (several hours). If you find that the first leg to Engineer Pass has gotten you to mid afternoon or later, you might also just swing back down to Animas and out one of the two ways already stated...

It will take several hours to get down to Lake City and back over Cinnamon to the Animas bail point to Silverton. Rather deceiving distances on those trails... Engineer Pass down to Lake City is almost road-car driveable, but coming back over Cinnamon is a bit of a longer, slower drive.

I always spend a couple nights up in those vales and prefer not to bother coming down for a few days. Too peopley at low altitudes...

OP
OP
B_AIRS

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's doable but long. Some slow stretches on that return through Hurricane / Corkscrew if I am remembering correctly, anyway - been a long time for me and it may have changed considerably.

HOWEVER... if your day is getting away from you, you can always abort the loop at Animas Forks and head down to Silverton and out to the highway that way instead of heading up to the Corkscrew leg. From Silverton its a quick zip back to Ouray once on the highway - and still gorgeous scenery through the canyon down into Ouray.

DO NOT abort at Lake City unless you have no choice - it is a LONG drive on pavement back to Ouray from there (several hours). If you find that the first leg to Engineer Pass has gotten you to mid afternoon or later, you might also just swing back down to Animas and out one of the two ways already stated...

It will take several hours to get down to Lake City and back over Cinnamon to the Animas bail point to Silverton. Rather deceiving distances on those trails... Engineer Pass down to Lake City is almost road-car driveable, but coming back over Cinnamon is a bit of a longer, slower drive.

I always spend a couple nights up in those vales and prefer not to bother coming down for a few days. Too peopley at low altitudes...
Thanks for the input, I'm glad to hear my idea isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. Thank you for sharing the info on the alternate way out from Animas Forks, I will definitely keep that in mind if things don't go as planned.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input, I'm glad to hear my idea isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. Thank you for sharing the info on the alternate way out from Animas Forks, I will definitely keep that in mind if things don't go as planned.
I should have added that Animas to Silverton will take a little while too just for distance, but it is non-technical (a little rocky / bumpy for the first part out of Animas) and faster / easier driving even if it's getting dark - eventually turning into a well-maintained dirt road with motorhomes, etc. 2WD cars make it to the ghost town at Animas and I've seen small camper trailers pulled almost all the way there, so that gives you an idea.

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I’ve only driven a car on 550 from Durango thru Silverton to Ouray, that some beautiful country (and the train). Definite bucket list trip for the Jeep. Then drive back up and do Black Bear.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As others have said, that's a LONG day. I personally wouldn't do it - it would just become a death march for me at some point.

There's possible, and then there's good ideas. But it's your time, good luck

OP
OP
B_AIRS

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, that's a LONG day. I personally wouldn't do it - it would just become a death march for me at some point.

I appreciate the feedback, I will see how things go. If I can’t get it all in, it will just give me a reason to go back.

Endless Summer

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 AMG E63S

Well said.. At some point - the day will get overly long and the ROI will plummet.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I also say it is doable, but skip lunch in Lake City and eat while on the move. Don't doodle at overlooks and the top of passes and you can do it. It will be a long day. We stopped and had lunch in Lake City and ended coming off the trails in the dark. We were on the trails by 8am and back after dark. It will be a long day, but not as long as driving back to finish it from Michigan.,,,,,,,,

Our starting point and ending point was also Ouray.

Sponsored

OP
OP
B_AIRS

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I also say it is doable, but skip lunch in Lake City and eat while on the move. Don't doodle at overlooks and the top of passes and you can do it. It will be a long day. We stopped and had lunch in Lake City and ended coming off the trails in the dark. We were on the trails by 8am and back after dark. It will be a long day, but not as long as driving back to finish it from Michigan.,,,,,,,,

Our starting point and ending point was also Ouray.
Thank you for the input. Good advice on not stopping for lunch in Lake City, I was planning on packing some snacks, but lunch on the trail definitely won't be a problem and is a good way to save some time.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just looked thru old photos of my last Ouray trip. Stopped a lot for photos and checked out all the scenic spots. Also had lunch at Lake City. It was a long day, but the awesome views never quit. We could have easily done the whole loop in 2 hours less. I’m planning the same route again next month.

Wont bore you will all the photos, but here are the time stamps along the way for planning.
8:23am - air down at Alpine Loop sign on 550
8:48am - intersection where Engineer Pass trail starts
10:03am - top of pass
12:10am - arrive to Lake City and found a place to eat (cant remember restaurant because it sucked)
2:00pm - start towards Cinnamon Pass
3:28pm - top of Cinnamon
3:50pm - arrived at Animas Forks
4:17pm - started up California Gulch
4:49pm - top of Calif Pass
5:10pm - top of Hurricane Pass
6:10ish - back to 550

OP
OP
B_AIRS

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just looked thru old photos of my last Ouray trip. Stopped a lot for photos and checked out all the scenic spots. Also had lunch at Lake City. It was a long day, but the awesome views never quit. We could have easily done the whole loop in 2 hours less. I’m planning the same route again next month.

Wont bore you will all the photos, but here are the time stamps along the way for planning.
8:23am - air down at Alpine Loop sign on 550
8:48am - intersection where Engineer Pass trail starts
10:03am - top of pass
12:10am - arrive to Lake City and found a place to eat (cant remember restaurant because it sucked)
2:00pm - start towards Cinnamon Pass
3:28pm - top of Cinnamon
3:50pm - arrived at Animas Forks
4:17pm - started up California Gulch
4:49pm - top of Calif Pass
5:10pm - top of Hurricane Pass
That is awesome information. Thank you very much!

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow... that is quicker than I would have guessed, especially with lunch in Lake City. But then again, I always had stock pickup trucks and probably was more tentative negotiating those longer wheel bases and no lift vehicles over and around things.

Great thread for memories!!

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I am planning on a trip to Colorado in August and I would really like to run the full Alpine loop, but I only have one day to spare that I could use to run it. I don't mind long days on the trail, but wanted some input on whether or not it was even possible.
The route I have mapped out is Mineral creek up to Engineer Pass and then over to Lake City followed by Cinnamon Pass back over to Animas Forks and then California Pass, Hurricane pass and Corkscrew Gulch back to HWY 550 and back to Ouray. Is this crazy or is it doable?
@B_AIRS - have you done your trip yet? I'm heading to Ouray next week and planning trails and was curious about your experience.
Sponsored