Service Shifter

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Why a private message? Can't you/someone provide insight to all the angry consumers with this issue? My wife HATES driving her jeep because she never knows when the electrical gremlins strike. I'm not about to bring it to the dealership so they can try and chuck parts at it. I feel bad for all the people begging for help on here yet @JeepCares only wants to discuss privately?

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL (50k miles and conveniently out of warranty) with all the same craziness that others are explaining here.
Dropped mine off again last night for visit #3, they said it's #2 because the first one we told them to replace the aux battery thinking would do it. So in their mind that first time didn't count! Thankful it had error messages on the screen and when they scanned it, it had over 90 codes, about half were active.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Why a private message? Can't you/someone provide insight to all the angry consumers with this issue? My wife HATES driving her jeep because she never knows when the electrical gremlins strike. I'm not about to bring it to the dealership so they can try and chuck parts at it. I feel bad for all the people begging for help on here yet @JeepCares only wants to discuss privately?

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL (50k miles and conveniently out of warranty) with all the same craziness that others are explaining here.
Hi, yes, we do request that customers follow up with us in private message as it's easier for our team to track conversations and details. We also may at some point ask for private contact information, so for the customer's privacy, we do that via private message.

If you prefer a different form of communication, we can also be reached by phone at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Just an update: I picked up my Jeep last night after the dealer had it for 3 days. They say they figured out what was wrong. I had to have the star connector replaced/can buss connector behind the glove box. When they took it for a ride to test any time that star connector moved the error messages came up on the dash and when if moved again they disappeared. Crossing my fingers that this is the fix! And it was covered under my warranty/insurance.

kellywi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 4 Door
Just an update: I picked up my Jeep last night after the dealer had it for 3 days. They say they figured out what was wrong. I had to have the star connector replaced/can buss connector behind the glove box. When they took it for a ride to test any time that star connector moved the error messages came up on the dash and when if moved again they disappeared. Crossing my fingers that this is the fix! And it was covered under my warranty/insurance.
For me I reached in and just made sure everything was snug. Nothing seemed out of place but it has not happened again in 500 miles. I went ahead and replaced the aux and main battery a few days ago as well and it seems completely back to normal. Many fingers crossed.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
For me I reached in and just made sure everything was snug. Nothing seemed out of place but it has not happened again in 500 miles. I went ahead and replaced the aux and main battery a few days ago as well and it seems completely back to normal. Many fingers crossed.
Yes fingers crossed, it hasn't gone past 4 days without doing it so time will tell.

Sponsored

ProJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi Everyone! We seem to be back in business so I thought that I'd share what seems to have worked for us: Replacement of the CAN C IP (star) connectors/wiring harness (which lives behind the glove box.)
The situation in summary: Our 2018 started having this problem at about 35k miles. It took nearly nine months to resolve and during those nine months spent about 70 days in the shop. The initial repair was a battery replacement which didn't change anything. The next repair was to replace the ABS control module and booster pump. I pushed back on this repair - even in writing - stating that this repair has been proven unsuccessful in solving this problem and again trying to explain that it was a wire short but they insisted that they HAD to perform this repair. That the Jeep protocol would not allow them to follow a different procedure. As predicted, no change. We drove it home from the dealership and it wouldn't go into gear an hour later. It was back in the shop the very next day and showing the same ABS error code. I had been pleading with the dealerships for months to hear me out and not to simply go off the codes as I was certain this issue was caused by a wiring short but the dealerships and Jeep Cares insisted that they MUST follow the codes and cannot change their process based on customer suggestion or internet findings. Finally, I compiled and printed a copy of various online threads then used a highlighter to color code what has worked and what has not worked for others with this same problem and carried it with me to the dealership then, again, pleaded with them to review the notes rather than to continue going off of the error codes. They opened a star case with Jeep which led to a replacement of the wiring harness/star connectors behind the glove box. Hurray - it has been a week and we haven't experienced any issues since this replacement! I am so grateful to have our vehicle back in a reliable state! I do find it mind boggling that the process took nine months and $3000.00 in repairs ($2300 totally unnecessary) plus $5400.00 spent in car payments for a vehicle that we couldn't safely operate and didn't have access to for a significant amount of time. As well as several seriously unsafe incidents - when it refused to go into gear in the middle of busy intersections, a highway failure, and many times just not going into gear while in a dark parking lot late in the evening - all these scenarios occurring with my newly licensed 16 yo behind the wheel. Had the dealerships and Jeep Cares been willing to accept the information that we were providing a lot of time, money, and dangerous situations would have been avoided. I sincerely hope that Jeep does the right thing and steps up to put out a service note and recall for this problem before someone is seriously injured. But for now, I hope that this information will help anyone who finds themself dealing with this situation. Cheers

fredrock80

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Hi Everyone! We seem to be back in business so I thought that I'd share what seems to have worked for us: Replacement of the CAN C IP (star) connectors/wiring harness (which lives behind the glove box.)
The situation in summary: Our 2018 started having this problem at about 35k miles. It took nearly nine months to resolve and during those nine months spent about 70 days in the shop. The initial repair was a battery replacement which didn't change anything. The next repair was to replace the ABS control module and booster pump. I pushed back on this repair - even in writing - stating that this repair has been proven unsuccessful in solving this problem and again trying to explain that it was a wire short but they insisted that they HAD to perform this repair. That the Jeep protocol would not allow them to follow a different procedure. As predicted, no change. We drove it home from the dealership and it wouldn't go into gear an hour later. It was back in the shop the very next day and showing the same ABS error code. I had been pleading with the dealerships for months to hear me out and not to simply go off the codes as I was certain this issue was caused by a wiring short but the dealerships and Jeep Cares insisted that they MUST follow the codes and cannot change their process based on customer suggestion or internet findings. Finally, I compiled and printed a copy of various online threads then used a highlighter to color code what has worked and what has not worked for others with this same problem and carried it with me to the dealership then, again, pleaded with them to review the notes rather than to continue going off of the error codes. They opened a star case with Jeep which led to a replacement of the wiring harness/star connectors behind the glove box. Hurray - it has been a week and we haven't experienced any issues since this replacement! I am so grateful to have our vehicle back in a reliable state! I do find it mind boggling that the process took nine months and $3000.00 in repairs ($2300 totally unnecessary) plus $5400.00 spent in car payments for a vehicle that we couldn't safely operate and didn't have access to for a significant amount of time. As well as several seriously unsafe incidents - when it refused to go into gear in the middle of busy intersections, a highway failure, and many times just not going into gear while in a dark parking lot late in the evening - all these scenarios occurring with my newly licensed 16 yo behind the wheel. Had the dealerships and Jeep Cares been willing to accept the information that we were providing a lot of time, money, and dangerous situations would have been avoided. I sincerely hope that Jeep does the right thing and steps up to put out a service note and recall for this problem before someone is seriously injured. But for now, I hope that this information will help anyone who finds themself dealing with this situation. Cheers
ProJeep - I am running into this issue now with my 2018 JL Wrangler. Curious if you have had any similar issues since you posted this?

ProJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
ProJeep - I am running into this issue now with my 2018 JL Wrangler. Curious if you have had any similar issues since you posted this?
Hello! So far so good!
It took a lot of work - and unfortunately a lot of misspent time and money - to convince the dealership to hear me out and complete this repair but we've had no problems since.
I urge anyone encountering this issue to file an NHTSB complaint so that Jeep will be forced to recognize and recall this failure before it causes a serious injury.
Good luck!

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
We had the same thing replaced after replacing the batteries and haven't had any issues yet. But now my high beams don't work - it's going to the dealer again today to see if it's related.

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - Crystal Granite
Jeep Wrangler JL Service Shifter PXL_20221127_185323774

My 2023 JLU started doing this with only 150 miles. Tried several times that day and got "service shifter", no power steering, transmission not leaving first, and start/stop error light. I had connected my winch to the battery after installing a new bumper for the winch, careful to disconnect negative terminal and isolate it while I connected the winch cables to the battery terminals. Everything worked fine afterwords and I drive it that evening to go go out to dinner. The next morning is when the errors came up.

The following day (Monday), I called the dealer and arranged a tow, but when the tow driver arrived, the errors were gone besides the check engine light. Since the dealer got it, they have already tried to blame it on me and called to say I might be on the hook for the electrical diagnostics for about $1100, and then tonight they called to tell me they need to replace a list of components, from what I understand includes the generator and the wiring from it to the 45V system, over $5200 for parts alone. They claim that it doesn't look like a factory defect so is be on the hook for this.

I have a ticket open with @JeepCares, so I emailed this to the agent who was supposed to be checking into this repair. But I just want to cry right now. I did nothing wrong, followed directions that are even in the manual, and I'm being blamed. Meanwhile, I just want to enjoy the new Jeep that I ordered 4 months ago, waited 3 1/2 months for, and only got to drive for 4 days before this happens...

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

My 2023 JLU started doing this with only 150 miles. Tried several times that day and got "service shifter", no power steering, transmission not leaving first, and start/stop error light. I had connected my winch to the battery after installing a new bumper for the winch, careful to disconnect negative terminal and isolate it while I connected the winch cables to the battery terminals. Everything worked fine afterwords and I drive it that evening to go go out to dinner. The next morning is when the errors came up.

The following day (Monday), I called the dealer and arranged a tow, but when the tow driver arrived, the errors were gone besides the check engine light. Since the dealer got it, they have already tried to blame it on me and called to say I might be on the hook for the electrical diagnostics for about $1100, and then tonight they called to tell me they need to replace a list of components, from what I understand includes the generator and the wiring from it to the 45V system, over $5200 for parts alone. They claim that it doesn't look like a factory defect so is be on the hook for this.

I have a ticket open with @JeepCares, so I emailed this to the agent who was supposed to be checking into this repair. But I just want to cry right now. I did nothing wrong, followed directions that are even in the manual, and I'm being blamed. Meanwhile, I just want to enjoy the new Jeep that I ordered 4 months ago, waited 3 1/2 months for, and only got to drive for 4 days before this happens...
Your frustration is understood. If you need our team to dig into your case and provide an update, send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Mitoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - Crystal Granite
Your frustration is understood. If you need our team to dig into your case and provide an update, send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Considering that all the Jeep Customer Care agent I was working with on this was able to do was call the dealer and have the dealer reiterate exactly what they told me, I don't really feel like "Jeep Cares" right now. Apparently, when dealing with warranty coverage, correlation DOES equal causation, as I am being told that because i disconnected the negative battery terminal, and there is an electrical issue that shows up a few days later, that it must be something I caused, and my brand new $55k vehicle will not be covered for a repair that the dealer has currently estimated at $1103 for diagnostics, and over $5000 for the MGU that they claim they need to replace. I had the vehicle in my possession for 4 days and there is nothing to say that this problem is unrelated, yet instead I am being blamed.

No, I really don't feel like "Jeep Cares" when they want me to foot the bill for a $6k+ repair and a couple thousand dollars to pay for a rental car for the weeks I am being told it will take to get in the part they want to replace...

RMK7871

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 4-Door
2018 JLU

I am having this same issue. Randomly the wipers come on then it throws all kinds of errors on the dash, high speed fan kicks on, lose power steering, wont turn off when pushing ignition button, sometimes wont turn on....

printed things from this thread about wiring harness issue.

Dealer has had vehicle over a week and still trying get diagnostics from error codes.

They said wiring harness looks fine.

Can someone at Jeep Customer Care help? Hard to believe with this 3 year long thread there are not go to instructions provided to dealers when this problem arises.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2018 JLU

I am having this same issue. Randomly the wipers come on then it throws all kinds of errors on the dash, high speed fan kicks on, lose power steering, wont turn off when pushing ignition button, sometimes wont turn on....

printed things from this thread about wiring harness issue.

Dealer has had vehicle over a week and still trying get diagnostics from error codes.

They said wiring harness looks fine.

Can someone at Jeep Customer Care help? Hard to believe with this 3 year long thread there are not go to instructions provided to dealers when this problem arises.
Hello, our team would be happy to look into your concerns as well. Feel free to send us a private message or call Jeep Cares directly at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

ProJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

I had a 4xe Rubicon on order while we were going through this experience. I made it very clear with Jeep that if it wasn't resolved when my Rubi came in that I wouldn't accept delivery. Guess what I don't have? It took 6 months for the Jeep that we ordered to come in and longer to get our service shifter issue resolved. The service advisor at the dealership we ordered from actually told me that he wouldn't buy a Jeep right now based on the issues that he sees with the new deliveries. I think he said that he sees the Service Shifter issue on about 1/20 brand new deliveries. The dealership didn't even blink an eye or have any care when I told them that I couldn't take delivery due to our ongoing problem. The response was - we have several other buyers lined up to purchase your Jeep so we just need for you to release it so that we can sell it. This all goes to show that Jeep is aware of this issue and isn't proactively managing the failure. I am so hopeful that they do fix the issue before it causes a serious crash. So sorry to read about your experience - good luck to you. Also, I suggest that you demand they go straight to opening a star case with Jeep. Or use your lemon law protection.
Sponsored