dpd7558

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares My 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude is currently at my dealer for the service shifter issue with check engine light. I lost all power steering, which creates a major safety hazard while driving. It has been at Waxahachie CDJR in Waxahachie, TX for 10 days now. They advised me they have two other Wranglers in for the same issue, and they donā€™t know how to fix the issue. They have started a star case with Chrysler... when I brought up the possibility of the main wiring harness incorrectly routed and possibly rubbing and creating a short, as previously mentioned on this forum (which solved that userā€™s issue), my dealer wanted nothing to hear of that and dismissed me. It seems they have no clue how to fix it. On Monday, I am starting the Lemon Law process in my state, where FCA has 30 days to fix the issue. @JeepCares you might want to contact my dealer and try to get this problem resolved.. seems like a recall might be in order.
Sponsored

dpd7558

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on your dash harness fix? My 2018 has been in 3 separate times so far without any luck, and they are chasing their tail. When I told them about the harness rub, they dismissed me
Same here.. my dealer dismissed me like I didnā€™t know what I was talking about. But they admitted to me that they donā€™t know how to fix the problem. @JeepCares

dpd7558

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems to be a wiring harness issue. I had the same problem. The found a part of the harness was rubbing and causing a short. That was replaced and i havent had an issue since (been 1 day though). The part that is rubbing is up near the front bumper around the swaybar disconnect is what they told me.
Did your dealer fix the harness? If so, which dealer, because mine is clueless... @JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares My 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude is currently at my dealer for the service shifter issue with check engine light. I lost all power steering, which creates a major safety hazard while driving. It has been at Waxahachie CDJR in Waxahachie, TX for 10 days now. They advised me they have two other Wranglers in for the same issue, and they donā€™t know how to fix the issue. They have started a star case with Chrysler... when I brought up the possibility of the main wiring harness incorrectly routed and possibly rubbing and creating a short, as previously mentioned on this forum (which solved that userā€™s issue), my dealer wanted nothing to hear of that and dismissed me. It seems they have no clue how to fix it. On Monday, I am starting the Lemon Law process in my state, where FCA has 30 days to fix the issue. @JeepCares you might want to contact my dealer and try to get this problem resolved.. seems like a recall might be in order.
Hi, dpd7558. We can certainly assist you here; however, if you have already started the lemon law process, you will have to continue working with that team and we won't be able to help you. Send us a private message to discuss.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jasonlauren

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Acura RDX Technology Package, 2008 Scion xB Release Series
Another Service Shifter issue here.

I have a 2019 JLUR 3.6 with an A/T at about 21K miles.

My family and I were just coming back from a camping trip that did not involve anything too technical; mostly paved mountain roads and then about an hour of fire roads to our campsite. Drove over 100 miles back into civilization and stopped for coffee. I parked the Jeep, shut it down, and took the family for a coffee break.

About 15 minutes later, the engine would not turn over. We had a solid red indicator light in the dash cluster. I tried jumping it, but to no avail. The battery was not the issue as the cluster showed normal voltage at or around 12.8V, and all my electricals appeared to work normally: interior and exterior lights; auxiliary lights; radio; USB chargers; etc.

I disconnected the battery and all grounds, and waited about 15-20 minutes. We tried it out again, and this time the engine turned over. However, the shifter was stuck, and I noticed that I got the dreaded "Service Shifter" message. After a few hours, I had to manually override into neutral, and towed it home. The following morning, I had it towed again, this time to the local Jeep dealership service department. Unfortunately, I was advised that they couldn't run a diagnostic for another 3-4 days, which I had no complaints about. Other dealerships in my area advised that they wouldn't be able to look at the Jeep for another 1-2 weeks.

So, I'm eagerly anticipating a call back. I am hoping that it isn't too serious of an issue. Based on what I've read to far, looks like maybe some electrical gremlins?

I am quite shaken up though. We pretty much only use our Jeep for off-roading and camping, which means traveling to remote and secluded areas. A lot of these areas don't have any cellular service and would be extremely challenging to get towed out if this type of thing happens again. My confidence in Jeep has waned; even if the issue is ultimately resolved, I will always be asking myself, will it start up this time? I don't know if I'll ever feel 100% comfortable driving this Jeep up to a trail, especially with the family.

Has anyone seen this issue with a M/T? Considering maybe trading for a M/T once this is all sorted out, assuming this Service Shifter issue (or some other debilitating issue effecting drivability) hasn't scourged the M/Ts. It's either a M/T JLUR or a Toyota 4Runner...but I'm trying to stay in the Jeep family.

Sponsored

Nizar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Hi, I got today "service shifter" message twice while driving a dirt road at low speed, the message went away and I suspect its the same wires/harness issue reported in this thread, its JLR 21 done 400mils only! Can somebody post a photo of the wires/harness related to the issue in order to go check that!!

TGG

First Name
TGG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RUBICON JLU
I had this happen to me once... it was winter and very cold, I was easily 2 hours away from anything and had stopped to relieve myself. Immediately on putting the Jeep into Park the engine died and I saw a "Service Transmission" message then couldn't shift out of park. Panic set in.

Luckily I was able to disconnect the batteries, wait several minutes, reconnect and it started up as if nothing happened. Immediately headed for home, made it and it never happened again.

I don't know what caused it but there was a lot of snow and water where I was so I wondered if it was some kind of short down in the transmission area. I went out again the next day better prepared to try and recreate the situation and I couldn't.

2019 Rubicon 3.6L w/Auto Transmission.

Fingers crossed it never happens again.

Rubicon392

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
I just got the exact same BS with a brand new 2021 Rubicon 392. I canā€™t wait to see what the dealer has to say tomorrow.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just got the exact same BS with a brand new 2021 Rubicon 392. I canā€™t wait to see what the dealer has to say tomorrow.
Hi Rubicon392,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this concern. If you'd like to send us a PM, we'd be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance alongside your dealer.

Sarah
Jeep Cares

Rubicon392

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Hi Rubicon392,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this concern. If you'd like to send us a PM, we'd be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance alongside your dealer.

Sarah
Jeep Cares
Will do. Just got a call that they canā€™t reproduce the issue. Saw that coming.
Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored

Cinco510

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I recently took my 2020 JLU in for the ā€œService Shifterā€ notification for a second time. (Originally the dealership couldnā€™t duplicate the issue and did not find anything. It was new to them and they didnā€™t know what to do.) -They re-flashed the computer and said that was all they could do.

I was hesitant with it because my Jeep had stalled once and also my power steering had gone out before I brought it in the second time. It hadnā€™t been showing any problems, except an intermittent ā€œservice shifterā€ notification and then continue to run correctly.

After a severe episode, I brought it in again (about 6 months later) and this time they said that Chrysler knew of the problem and they had a wire repair kit for the problem. A wire harness was grounding out and they repaired it that day. So far, so good. Iā€™ll update if the problem shows up again, but it should be a known issue that can be repaired fairly easily from what my dealership described now.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Another Service Shifter issue here.

I have a 2019 JLUR 3.6 with an A/T at about 21K miles.

My family and I were just coming back from a camping trip that did not involve anything too technical; mostly paved mountain roads and then about an hour of fire roads to our campsite. Drove over 100 miles back into civilization and stopped for coffee. I parked the Jeep, shut it down, and took the family for a coffee break.

About 15 minutes later, the engine would not turn over. We had a solid red indicator light in the dash cluster. I tried jumping it, but to no avail. The battery was not the issue as the cluster showed normal voltage at or around 12.8V, and all my electricals appeared to work normally: interior and exterior lights; auxiliary lights; radio; USB chargers; etc.

I disconnected the battery and all grounds, and waited about 15-20 minutes. We tried it out again, and this time the engine turned over. However, the shifter was stuck, and I noticed that I got the dreaded "Service Shifter" message. After a few hours, I had to manually override into neutral, and towed it home. The following morning, I had it towed again, this time to the local Jeep dealership service department. Unfortunately, I was advised that they couldn't run a diagnostic for another 3-4 days, which I had no complaints about. Other dealerships in my area advised that they wouldn't be able to look at the Jeep for another 1-2 weeks.

So, I'm eagerly anticipating a call back. I am hoping that it isn't too serious of an issue. Based on what I've read to far, looks like maybe some electrical gremlins?

I am quite shaken up though. We pretty much only use our Jeep for off-roading and camping, which means traveling to remote and secluded areas. A lot of these areas don't have any cellular service and would be extremely challenging to get towed out if this type of thing happens again. My confidence in Jeep has waned; even if the issue is ultimately resolved, I will always be asking myself, will it start up this time? I don't know if I'll ever feel 100% comfortable driving this Jeep up to a trail, especially with the family.

Has anyone seen this issue with a M/T? Considering maybe trading for a M/T once this is all sorted out, assuming this Service Shifter issue (or some other debilitating issue effecting drivability) hasn't scourged the M/Ts. It's either a M/T JLUR or a Toyota 4Runner...but I'm trying to stay in the Jeep family.
What was the end result on your issue? It's great that Jeep knows about the problem and all, but I like you have no use for a dealership when I'm stranded with my wife in the middle of nowhere. I'd really like to know where this wiring problem is and proactively fix the issue before it happens.

Kola 18JL

First Name
Kola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
What was the end result on your issue? It's great that Jeep knows about the problem and all, but I like you have no use for a dealership when I'm stranded with my wife in the middle of nowhere. I'd really like to know where this wiring problem is and proactively fix the issue before it happens.
Did you ever find a fix for this issue?

kneelh

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Hey bam9382, thank you for the post. I have a new 2021 Wrangler Rubicon with just 1,000 miles and just ran into this problem. What dealer / service tech did you take your jeep to for the fix ? I am also in Texas so may go to same one since they already seem knowledgeable about the problem. Did you happen to obtain a photograph of the particular wiring harness ? The problem is intermittent which is the worst b.c. the dealer won't do anything until they are able to duplicate it. I have also noticed that my sway bar sometimes will not disconnect or reconnect on the first try. Maybe related ?

AussieJLOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Overland Unlimited
I just started having the service shifter message coming up on my dash at 47000klms while 4 wheeling in low range on some rough bush tracks. JLU Overland (Sahara to you yanks) 4 door auto 2019 build. Since then it's been randomly coming up while driving on the black top. Took it in to the dealer for its 48000klm service & brought it up. Its so far not causing any other issues just the warning beep & random service shifter message on the dash. Dealer as usual could not replicate it & wanted a photo. What I did realise on my hour drive to the dealer was that the service shifter warning was only popping up when I hit a reasonable road bump. No bumps no message/warning to service shifter. So on my way home from the dealer service I waited for a good bump & BAM! service shifter came up so got a pic for them. The only other thing that happened before the service shifter light started coming up on the trails was a service 4wd light came up but it went away after restarting my jeep & never came back but it was shortly after that when the service shifter warning started popping up & has persisted for a few weeks now while driving. The fact that it only comes up when I hit a bump leads me to believe there's a loose connection somewhere or a bad wire that the bumps affect. I emailed the pic to the dealer & we will see what happens (dealer appears clueless about the issue). For me it sounds like the harness rubbing or a bad connection but I'll keep watching this thread for any other clues or fixes. I did get under & check the wiring harness & can see where it is rubbing in a couple of spots but does not appear to have rubbed through at all yet.
Sponsored