Service Shifter - Power Steering

JLNOFO88

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JLU Sahara
After reading numerous threads on this issue it seems that their is no CLEAR solution to this problem.

MY STORY:
I have a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara. about 2 weeks ago I was driving on a busy street. as I was making a left turn I heard a chime and at the exact same time I lost power steering. looking down on to the dash I see service shifter, service 4x4, service transmission, and probably a few more errors as well as the wipers going off and a high pitch hum coming from the engine which I assumed was the fan. I managed to pull over and try to turn it off. the push to start button wouldn't work and the jeep kept running. after a few times of pushing the button it managed to shut off. I let it sit for about 15 minutes hoping that it would reset or something. After turning it back on all the error messages came on again as well as the windshield wipers. After that I had the Jeep towed to the dealer the next day. After servicing, they determined that the AUX battery and the main battery needed to be swapped out. The guy from the dealer told me to go pick it up, when I get there I see them still working on it and they tell me that they can't get it to work. thankfully they were able to get me an UBER to work. The next day I reached out to them for an update and they told me that they had to reach out to "mopar STAR" which I guess is a special unit that handles cases like this because they've never seen anything like this before. luckily this happened as I was going no more than 20mph on a city street. but I feel like this is a VERY dangerous problem to have on a car especially when losing power steering. its been pretty frustrating also because I do drive a lot for work and the dealer says that they don't have a loaner car available and no time line for a solution.
Sponsored

Jdt589

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlu Sahara
I have a 2019 JLU Sahara - 50,700 miles and have been having intermittent problems with check engine light coming on and going off a day or two later and then coming back. I've gotten the Service Shifter message a few days ago and have had issues recently with remote start not working. Today was the last straw when it left my wife stranded and would not let her put the car in Drive. After shutting off the car and sitting for a minute or so, she was able to start back up and start moving and suddenly power steering went out. This has turned from an annoyance to a huge safety issue. I have the Jeep at the dealer now and sent him this thread as I believe it is likely a shorted wire somewhere. WHY hasn't JEEP addressed this issue with a proper fix/recall - something? I get that shorted wires are being seen everywhere but the common themes I see in this thread are wires are ran near places they can easily rub overtime. Wires should be ran wisely and most imporantly, put in proper wrapping material so this doesn't become an issue. And lose fuses/relay - even on vehicles on the showroom floor? This thread and issue(s) are very concerning...I'll post updates as I hear from the dealer...

Update: Dealer got back to me...
replace faulty clockspring and faulty star connector block, labor
includes diag (found dtc for b2225-00 steering column module
internal caused by faulty clockspring (sccm), also found star
connector block cracking per technical service bulliten)

Last edited:

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Besides the worn wiring harness, the green can bus connection block behind the glove box is a common culprit in the CEL & multiple warning lights on the dash, and loss of power steering.

I was getting those things daily and since I replaced the block (about 3,000 miles ago), no issues.

$13 on ebay and 10 minutes to replace.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225158191142