Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Overland
How many people have had this problem -

Service Shifter message shows
Power Steering goes
Then whole host of other messages such as no stability control, no start stop feature, throttle response

Exactly what this guy has.

Just want to know if anyone found out what the issue is?
Sponsored

cool_it

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ballardphotos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon; 2008 Liberty
Occupation
Fire Protection / Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@UK_Jeepey , the jeep is still in the shop. I am expecting an update tomorrow I spoke to the tech on Friday and he told me he has gone through all of the grounds as Star had recommended. The video is of my second occurrence.

As for seating the fuses and relays, I checked them during my first occurrence and verified that all of the relays were secured and the main ground was secure. The first dealer spent their time going through the wiring harnesses.

cool_it

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ballardphotos.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update!
The service manager called this afternoon and stated they believe the issue is within the swaybar disconnect. They traced the issue to an erroneous voltage to the bus which appears to be involving the swaybar disconnect. They have removed the wire and the tech will drive the vehicle home overnight to verify the issue does not reappear. In the meantime, they have ordered a replacement sway bar disconnect and will call me when it is installed. For those experiencing the same issues, has your sway bar disconnect been replaced? If so did it resolve the issues?

OP
OP
UK_Jeepey

UK_Jeepey

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Overland
Update!
The service manager called this afternoon and stated they believe the issue is within the swaybar disconnect. They traced the issue to an erroneous voltage to the bus which appears to be involving the swaybar disconnect. They have removed the wire and the tech will drive the vehicle home overnight to verify the issue does not reappear. In the meantime, they have ordered a replacement sway bar disconnect and will call me when it is installed. For those experiencing the same issues, has your sway bar disconnect been replaced? If so did it resolve the issues?
Thatā€™s great news that they think they found the issue. Mine is still in the garage - their words ā€˜itā€™s looking like an involved jobā€™

Iā€™m just puzzled that they can be this relaxed about it. If I was going any faster and the steering went like last Sunday then it could have been a whole lot worse.

Sponsored

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2015 Lexus GS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
Mines been going through this same exact issue for months now. Got video of mine recently as well and has been in the shop for 12 days now. STAR ticket opened on it as well and HOPING to get a technician out this week to look at it. Hopefully sway bar disconnect is the issue and can be resolved quickly!

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Dealer has had it for almost 2 weeks now...not for sure, but I would imagine they have probably done that.
There have been other reports that dealers didnā€™t check. Remember, these are the same dealerships that are putting in 6 quarts of oil and JLs require 5 quarts. And Jeep dealerships service departments rank in last place in the 2018 JD Powers survey.

OP
OP
UK_Jeepey

UK_Jeepey

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Overland
UPDATE: They thought they fixed it this week as they had 17 safety updates that needed updating. They updated them and test drove it but the fault came straight back. They now say it is an earthing wire that has come loose or has not been fitted correctly so they are replacing this before trying again.

It has only been in the garage for a week now but any longer and I am considering handing back for a full refund as is law in the UK for cars under 6 months old.

Sponsored

cool_it

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ballardphotos.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update for mine: They replaced the Sway Bar Disconnect Motor on Friday 7/5 and now determined the main wiring harness needs to be replaced as well.

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There have been other reports that dealers didnā€™t check. Remember, these are the same dealerships that are putting in 6 quarts of oil and JLs require 5 quarts. And Jeep dealerships service departments rank in last place in the 2018 JD Powers survey.
Itā€™s at a dealer that has an off-road/custom shop thatā€™s been in business for over 20 years...These guys live everything Jeep. Been in contact with the owner, and heā€™s got the crew going over it pretty thoroughly. Iā€™m pretty happy with their service. There are at least 5 closer dealers I couldā€™ve probably taken it to and still had the same issue.

OP
OP
UK_Jeepey

UK_Jeepey

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Overland
UPDATE: so they thought it was a ground wire and sorted that but then they found 6 other faults with the electrics.

Jeep technical are now involved and are being really good. Let see what tomorrow brings.

canuk688

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (White)
How many people have had this problem -

Service Shifter message shows
Power Steering goes
Then whole host of other messages such as no stability control, no start stop feature, throttle response

Exactly what this guy has.

Just want to know if anyone found out what the issue is?

I'm having the same issues, here's my timeline, still waiting to see if "Power steering module" replacement actually fixes anything. My guess is no, since the computer issues seemed to trigger that as a symptom not a cause. Pretty disappointing since I've just bought this Jeep and its under 3k miles on it.

1. Purchased new 2018 JL Rubicon May 15.
2. At 2,000 miles service shifter error plus traction control error, completely locked power steering. (June 17)
3. Took it to shop, dealer said needed two software updates but there was like 30 error codes thrown. Claimed it was fixed.
4. Next three weeks ā€˜service shifterā€™ appears but then nothing happens, finally on i70 service shifter appears again followed by a full lock up of the power steering while going 70mph with check engine light popping up. Thankfully pulled over and was able to get control back with a full restart. Immediately took it back to dealer. June 12. This has got to be some sort of red flag safety recall. Nearly crashed on a turn!
5. Dealer calls me June 17, they need to replace power steering module/console but arenā€™t sure if this is the issue. Said they had the same lockup just movin it in the shop to parking lot. Waiting a couple days to hear back if the fix worked, according to them itā€™s the first thing they have to do but no guarantee itā€™s the right fix.

Honestly pretty freaked out at this point, spend 40k+ on a vehicle to have the steering fully lock me out on the highway!? Am documenting all fixes and starting to think this will be a lemon. Iā€™m coming up on 7 days in the shop and 2 attempts at fixing the same issue. They did cover my rental but an economy car which has been a bummer. Am curious to hear anyoneā€™s thoughts or experiences.

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same issues, here's my timeline, still waiting to see if "Power steering module" replacement actually fixes anything. My guess is no, since the computer issues seemed to trigger that as a symptom not a cause. Pretty disappointing since I've just bought this Jeep and its under 3k miles on it.

1. Purchased new 2018 JL Rubicon May 15.
2. At 2,000 miles service shifter error plus traction control error, completely locked power steering. (June 17)
3. Took it to shop, dealer said needed two software updates but there was like 30 error codes thrown. Claimed it was fixed.
4. Next three weeks ā€˜service shifterā€™ appears but then nothing happens, finally on i70 service shifter appears again followed by a full lock up of the power steering while going 70mph with check engine light popping up. Thankfully pulled over and was able to get control back with a full restart. Immediately took it back to dealer. June 12. This has got to be some sort of red flag safety recall. Nearly crashed on a turn!
5. Dealer calls me June 17, they need to replace power steering module/console but arenā€™t sure if this is the issue. Said they had the same lockup just movin it in the shop to parking lot. Waiting a couple days to hear back if the fix worked, according to them itā€™s the first thing they have to do but no guarantee itā€™s the right fix.

Honestly pretty freaked out at this point, spend 40k+ on a vehicle to have the steering fully lock me out on the highway!? Am documenting all fixes and starting to think this will be a lemon. Iā€™m coming up on 7 days in the shop and 2 attempts at fixing the same issue. They did cover my rental but an economy car which has been a bummer. Am curious to hear anyoneā€™s thoughts or experiences.
Anyone have any updates on their service shifter issues? Mine was out of the shop for 9 days before the service shifter came back after they determined that the sway bar disconnect was the issue.
Sponsored