Sponsored

Selec-Trac full time 4x4 4WD system discussions

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Wow, drama much? I know many who drive Rubicons in the snow belt without select-track and zero issues. Just don't be a moron driver and zero issues.

My 16 year old son has zero issues in the snow with the Rubicon and it's open diffs - perhaps he can give you a drivers lesson?
I owned a TJ with open diff, a JK with LSD, a JLR and now a JLR with the Rock-Track full-time 4x4. I agree with what Aldo wrote. I also agree with you.

Open or LSD really did not make a difference to me. I never had issues with any of the Wranglers in snow. And some was record deep stuff. They all got me to where I needed to go. I just had to throw the lever more between 2WD and 4x4 High on some days. On some days I had to throw the lever back and forth between plowed and un-plowed streets and roads a lot. Transitioning from a slushy street onto a plowed dry street in 4x4 High during a turn can induce a little wheel chatter. That does not happen with the Rock-Trac full-time 4x4. It's also kind of nice not having to throw the transfer lever back and forth. Rock-Trac is not necessary but it is convenient.
Sponsored

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our Wrangler has AT tires. 2019 JLU.
Have the proper size Blizzak winter tires on during winter.

Better on ice for sure. Tread fills with snow; there's not much difference in snow. But it's ice (and black ice) that worries me. So the Blizzaks are a bonus.
Totally agree. Steering and braking on icy surfaces is where winter tires shine. And on inclines. Big time.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We have so many people here with no winter driving skills who drive unprepared cars. They either lead a long line of slow moving vehicles, or drive too quickly and may lose control.

Province of Quebec has legislation that requires winter-rated tires. We don't have that in Ontario.

I want to have the extra traction winter tires have to give me an advantage staying away from them.

On snowy days I leave early and get to work early, or stay late and work because I'm going to be held up anyway.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I agree, but everything you mentioned relates to road manners. My comments related to off roading. A u-joint will be less prone to damage, withstand more abuse, doesnā€™t rely on a fail prone rubber boot to keep grease in and mud out, and came be replaced on a trail assuming you have a back up, if not itā€™s still a much easier job in your garage than a CV joint.

yes I have had both. I love the NP242 t-case in my old XJ, excellent for winter driving. I would still prefer Rock-Trac for off-roading.
Actually a U Joint is weaker than a CVJ and more prone to catastrophic failure.

The only benefit of a U joint is there is no boot to tear. That's a big deal for many. But to characterize a U joint as able to "withstand more abuse" is simply wrong.

CVJ's fail catastrophically FAR less often than U joints and are less likely to leave you stranded.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
We have so many people here with no winter driving skills who drive unprepared cars. They either lead a long line of slow moving vehicles, or drive too quickly and may lose control.

Province of Quebec has legislation that requires winter-rated tires. We don't have that in Ontario.

I want to have the extra traction winter tires have to give me an advantage staying away from them.

On snowy days I leave early and get to work early, or stay late and work because I'm going to be held up anyway.
People think that because they have a 4wd Jeep they have a good winter driver. Here are some facts.

1) tires tires tires. - Tires are the most important determinant when it comes to how well your vehicle does in the snow. My wife's AWD Volvo Wagon on a set of real snow tires is far far superior to my Jeep on AT tires. Tires help you go, turn, and stop. Its not just about not getting stuck.

Actually, I lied. Experience is the most important thing. Tires are #2.

2) MT tires are terrible in the snow. If you think big open lugged tread is good in the snow, then you haven't updated your knowledge in 25 years. Its all about sipes.

3) Stability control and BLD is your friend. Stability control can do something that even the most skilled driver can't do. It can brake on one side of the vehicle only. Imagine you are driving on slushy roads at relatively high speed. You drag a wheel out of the groove and put 2 wheels into heavy slush.

The vehicle tries hard to yaw to the right dragging you off the road. Stability control can and will brake both left wheels to negate the yaw and keep you headed straight ahead.

4) Nokian is the only company that I know of that makes real snow tires in sizes for Jeeps. But they are sold out for this year. TheNokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 is available in 285/70 and 315/70-17 sizes.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Around here we have people trying to drive around on summer performance tires in the winter.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Around here we have people trying to drive around on summer performance tires in the winter.
Yeah, back when I owned SRTs in California, Iā€™d find out the shortcomings of the stock high-performance tires whenever I visited my family in Canada over the holidays.

It is shocking how useless high performance tires become when temps drop close to freezing.

Might as well drive on totally bald tires... šŸ˜«

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Yeah, back when I owned SRTs in California, Iā€™d find out the shortcomings of the stock high-performance tires whenever I visited my family in Canada over the holidays.

It is shocking how useless high performance tires become when temps drop close to freezing.

Might as well drive on totally bald tires... šŸ˜«
I have a Corvette HTC Z51 on order since March of 2021. Wasn't going to do a Museum pickup in Kentucky because I wouldn't be able to drive with summer tires in the winter. Now that it is delayed until April I think me and my college roommate Marc will fly out tour the factory and museum and drive it back! Lord willing of course!

Last edited:

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
People think that because they have a 4wd Jeep they have a good winter driver. Here are some facts.

1) tires tires tires. - Tires are the most important determinant when it comes to how well your vehicle does in the snow. My wife's AWD Volvo Wagon on a set of real snow tires is far far superior to my Jeep on AT tires. Tires help you go, turn, and stop. Its not just about not getting stuck.

Actually, I lied. Experience is the most important thing. Tires are #2.

2) MT tires are terrible in the snow. If you think big open lugged tread is good in the snow, then you haven't updated your knowledge in 25 years. Its all about sipes.

3) Stability control and BLD is your friend. Stability control can do something that even the most skilled driver can't do. It can brake on one side of the vehicle only. Imagine you are driving on slushy roads at relatively high speed. You drag a wheel out of the groove and put 2 wheels into heavy slush.

The vehicle tries hard to yaw to the right dragging you off the road. Stability control can and will brake both left wheels to negate the yaw and keep you headed straight ahead.

4) Nokian is the only company that I know of that makes real snow tires in sizes for Jeeps. But they are sold out for this year. TheNokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 is available in 285/70 and 315/70-17 sizes.
You're right on all fronts, I opted for M/T's on my JL and have been just ok this winter, luckily it hasn't been a horrible season so far. I always get dedicated winter tires and waited too long this time around, nothing available. I'm considering getting my steelies so I have them ready for next year and just order some Nokians as they become available. I also didnt know they came in 315/70, where do you usually source them?

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
You're right on all fronts, I opted for M/T's on my JL and have been just ok this winter, luckily it hasn't been a horrible season so far. I always get dedicated winter tires and waited too long this time around, nothing available. I'm considering getting my steelies so I have them ready for next year and just order some Nokians as they become available. I also didnt know they came in 315/70, where do you usually source them?
This is my first Jeep. I was able to find them on simpletire.com.

In fact I ordered some and my CC threw a fraud based decline so they released the inventory. By the time we sorted it out, they were sold out. ha.

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
This is my first Jeep. I was able to find them on simpletire.com.

In fact I ordered some and my CC threw a fraud based decline so they released the inventory. By the time we sorted it out, they were sold out. ha.
I hate to hear that!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Corvette HTC Z51 on order since March of 2021. Wasn't going to do a Museum pickup in Kentucky because I wouldn't be able to drive with summer tires in the winter. Now that it is delayed until April I think me and my college roommate Marc will fly out tour the factory and museum and drive it back! Lord willing of course!
I wanted to do museum delivery for the last 2 Corvettes but never did. I am thinking of ordering a Z06 and doing the RC8 museum delivery.

A friend did the museum delivery back in 2009 when he ordered his Z06. I went with him. Good call on your part about not driving on the summer tires in the winter. We thought we timed it OK with weather. NOT! It was uncommonly cold the week we went down there. Lets just say it was a experience to remember for both of us. WE were under the truck for quite some time watching the semi truck wheels get closer and closer. It was like a bad horror movie. We were under there moving along for over 3-4 blocks easy. The driver of the semi said he did not even know we were stuck under there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Selec-Trac full time 4x4 4WD system discussions Z06 in Bowling Green

Last edited:

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I wanted to do museum delivery for the last 2 Corvettes but never did. I am thinking of ordering a Z06 and doing the RC8 museum delivery.

A friend did the museum delivery back in 2009 when he ordered his Z06. I went with him. Good call on your part about not driving on the summer tires in the winter. We thought we timed it OK with weather. NOT! It was uncommonly cold the week we went down there. Lets just say it was a experience to remember for both of us. WE were under the truck for quite some time watching the wheels get closer and closer. It was like a bad horror movie. We were under there moving along for over 3-4 blocks easy. The driver of the semi said he did not even know we were stuck under there.
Z06 in Bowling Green .jpg

[/QUOTE]
I'm so glad you are OK! That looks gnarly! My brother in law and I shared two previous corvettes. The 2017 Z06 convertible we had a museum delivery. Really fun! Drove back to Cali together. He passed away in a glider accident in Nephi Utah July 1, 2019. I had known him since I was four since he started dating my 10 year older sister when they were both 14! He was 66 when he passed! So nice of my college roommate to make the trip with me! Lord willing of course!

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who plans to take their Wrangler to the trails, the best is to learn to use the 4WD, and how to pick their lines, in a stock Wrangler on 32s. They will be amazed what it can do, and have a TON of fun doing it.
I can attest to the picking a line, happened this past weekend.

Watched a JLUR on 35s with a 2.5 lift ahead of me almost tip and constantly get stuck because, no emotion, driver error. Picking a bad line, no wheel speed, no momentum.

I talk to my wife and son and anyone else about picking a line and they give me dumbfounded looks... it just comes with experience I think.

Get out and drive.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I can attest to the picking a line, happened this past weekend.

Watched a JLUR on 35s with a 2.5 lift ahead of me almost tip and constantly get stuck because, no emotion, driver error. Picking a bad line, no wheel speed, no momentum.

I talk to my wife and son and anyone else about picking a line and they give me dumbfounded looks... it just comes with experience I think.

Get out and drive.
Yup. Off-roading is no different than driving: some are good at it, others suck.

Iā€™ve seen guys that havenā€™t learned a thing after having wheeled for years.

Usually the worse they are at it, the better they think they are... šŸ˜«
Sponsored