Sponsored

Secure storage in trunk ?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The main obstacle holding me back from trading my hardtop for a soft top is lack security for my laptop, golf clubs and anything else in the car. I do a decent amount of travel and dont want the hassle of having to worry about removing everything all the time. I've installed the rear seat recline kit which slightly reclines the back seat and dont have a subwoofer. Is there a security storage compartment that could work for the trunk?
Sponsored

GringoStar

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JL Rubicon
Check out the offering from Tuffy. I don't have it but it looks promising.

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the offering from Tuffy. I don't have it but it looks promising.
I like the Tuffy the best because you can remove the lid and back to be able to carry large objects when needed. Unfortunately it wont fit with the Alpine subwoofer but Tuffy emailed me and said they will have a unit that will fit the sub. in about three weeks.

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2DR JK Rubicon (dozer) 2018 2DR JL Rubicon (granite) (waiting)
I want the backbone as well.. unfortunately we need someone to swing by with their 2 door so they can do the modifications for the JL

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Am I wrong on the pics, or does the backbone solution bolt into the hardtop holes? If so, when the top is off, itā€™s not secure like the tuffy because someone can just unscrew it. Am I wrong?

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are incorrect on your assumption on the backbone. It bolts from underneath not showing any screws. Here is a video link to an installation.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
You are incorrect on your assumption on the backbone. It bolts from underneath not showing any screws. Here is a video link to an installation.
Too bad this wonā€™t work for soft top.... canā€™t wait to see an option that works for soft top and subwoofer!

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why wouldn't this work on the softtop? as far as the subwoofer. I'm sure that could be relocated if necessary.

Sponsored

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Why wouldn't this work on the softtop? as far as the subwoofer. I'm sure that could be relocated if necessary.
It must be the mecanish that is in place to operate/support the soft top.... it says in their website very clear ā€œFits Hard Top 4 door JL's (2018-present)ā€

Kdm6174

First Name
Kym
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
It doesnā€™t fit the soft top bc the soft top has pieces that attach to the corners of the tub of the tailgate. The backbone tailgate piece needs to sit flush on the tub for the hard top version. They are in the process of making a soft top version of the tailgate piece.

The piece is screwed on the tub but also has screws underneath that make it secure.

I have a subwoofer and it fits. I have also modified it to work w my soft top...I didnā€™t install the tailgate piece...so I lose the security feature. Patiently waiting for w new tailgate piece to run w the soft top.

JeepMax

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yup, I have encountered this issue. I am glad to hear they are coming up with a part as I would like to use it with both tops.
Sponsored