Sponsored

Secure storage for trunk ?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The main obstacle holding me back from trading my hardtop for a soft top is lack security for my laptop, golf clubs and anything else in the car. I do a decent amount of travel and dont want the hassle of having to worry about removing everything all the time. I've installed the rear seat recline kit which slightly reclines the back seat and dont have a subwoofer. Is there a security storage compartment that could work for the trunk? Thanks
Sponsored

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
The main obstacle holding me back from trading my hardtop for a soft top is lack security for my laptop, golf clubs and anything else in the car. I do a decent amount of travel and dont want the hassle of having to worry about removing everything all the time. I've installed the rear seat recline kit which slightly reclines the back seat and dont have a subwoofer. Is there a security storage compartment that could work for the trunk? Thanks
I pre-ordered a Slipstream XL from Diabolical, Inc. Not sure about the seat recline, whether or not that would create a conflict, but by far it looks like the nicest security lid with some awesome features.

Last edited:

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I still don’t get the paranoia of the soft top security. If they will take a razor to your soft top, they will smash your window with a brick. Doesn’t mean you don’t need security. I just don’t think it’s different.

Sponsored

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
if you own a soft top long enough you will get it
the rear cargo security solutions basically give you back a lockable trunk
to me a must have on a 90% open vehicle parked in public places

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2016 Rubicon
I still don’t get the paranoia of the soft top security. If they will take a razor to your soft top, they will smash your window with a brick. Doesn’t mean you don’t need security. I just don’t think it’s different.
Yes someone could smash your window in with a brick, but the theif then risks cutting themselves on broken glass not to mention the loud smashing noise they would make when breaking in. While I agree that the hardtop may not be all that much more secure than a soft top, it certainly deters thieves more from even trying.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
I think for me, it’s a combination of piece of mind secure storage and the ability to stack storage on top of the deck. The Slipstream is easily foldable or removable, too.

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It’s fantastic for people that run topless.

Sponsored

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
That Slipstream looks like a good option. I was looking at the truck vault drawer system, but this looks like it gives me more room/options than a drawer system. Maybe just put a small single drawer in the bottom to lock my firearms in then this to save most of the space

lagunajim

I'm not a big security guy, but with the soft top you can unzip / unpop a rear window - no cutting required ... just sayin'

When I had my computer repair business I did the Tuffy Security Deck - worked great, a bitch to install "well" - don't think you're just gonna pop it in and out in seconds...

JC2692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I drilled ammo cans into the tailgate... Kinda small but works nicely

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the tuffy and it works great. Use it for when I am topless.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

Yes someone could smash your window in with a brick, but the thief then risks cutting themselves on broken glass not to mention the loud smashing noise they would make when breaking in. While I agree that the hardtop may not be all that much more secure than a soft top, it certainly deters thieves more from even trying.
While the hardtop isn't theft-proof it is theft-deterrent. I had a bag stolen out of a locked Jeep (in 2003) with a soft top. They simply unzipped the window and took a bag from the cargo area (nothing particularly expensive in it). They could just as easily have done the same with a pocket knife to the plastic window. There were plenty of other vehicles in the parking lot, but none of them got a window smashed out. The appeal is that it's a silent, much less obvious entry. After all, don't you lock the doors on your house? A thief could easily smash a window and go in that way. But we lock the doors, because smashing a window is much more obvious than simply opening the front door and walking it.
If a thief wants your stuff bad enough they'll get to it somehow. The key is to make it as inconvenient as possible so they target someone else. Sorry about your luck neighbors, or other cars in the lot, but better you than me.
Sponsored