First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

All -

As I prepare my build here I've arrived at the spare tire carrier. Im a bit confused not so much on it's purpose, but on it's need.

For reference I'll be on a 17x9 with a 35" tire. Searching on the topic says both that it'll fit the stock carrier fine (unless I jump to 37), and that it also will not work. I've even seen "wait and see" (if it fits) advice.

So - Im seeking clarification and/or experience from others.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
All -

As I prepare my build here I've arrived at the spare tire carrier. Im a bit confused not so much on it's purpose, but on it's need.

For reference I'll be on a 17x9 with a 35" tire. Searching on the topic says both that it'll fit the stock carrier fine (unless I jump to 37), and that it also will not work. I've even seen "wait and see" (if it fits) advice.

So - Im seeking clarification and/or experience from others.
When I mounted 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's (a smaller 35) on factory wheels, the spare was lightly scuffing the Mopar steel bumper. I wanted some height adjustability, while also keeping the tire pressed firmly against the rubber supports, so I installed the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. I utilized it's highest setting, so was able to keep using it when I switched to the new wheels and 38's, because it was just barely clearing the bumper and its depth adjustment allowed me to compensate for the negative offset of the new wheels.

Some consider it extra support, to have the spare resting on the bumper. I don't at all agree with that, because the bumper is mounted directly to the frame and the body is on rubber isolators. When the jeep is flexing both will move independently, so an unnecessary contact point can introduce unwanted forces to transmit.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

thanks for the reply. That was another inconsistency I noticed, some saying the tire rubbed the steal bumper, some saying it did not. (I am going with the 315 KO2).

Maybe I should just order it and not worry.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's mine with the 315 ko2 on an otherwise factory Rubicon. Also worth noting, is that the 3rd brake light was more obscured by the taller tire and was pushed closer to the wiper arm from the increased width. And that was with it extended to sit higher. I would consider the Mopar 3rd brake light relocation bracket, if going with the factory carrier and wheel with 315 combo.
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on the spare tire carrier mods 20190827_132924_resized

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had a 315/70/17 tire on stock Rubicon wheel. It fit on the stock carrier. The tire just barely touched the bumper, perfectly supported. I was able to move the OEM third brake light slightly higher as well, the arm expands taller. At least on the Rubicon. But what I can recommend is the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier. It adjusts up or down, in and out, and relocates the third brake light to the center of the tire just above the camera.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

you convinced me. The carrier provides adjustability, keeps camera working well, makes the brake light more prominent. I ordered the Teraflex alpha.

Last edited:

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here's mine with the 315 ko2 on an otherwise factory Rubicon. Also worth noting, is that the 3rd brake light was more obscured by the taller tire and was pushed closer to the wiper arm from the increased width. And that was with it extended to sit higher. I would consider the Mopar 3rd brake light relocation bracket, if going with the factory carrier and wheel with 315 combo.
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on the spare tire carrier mods 20190827_132924_resized
You can raise the factory CHIMSL using the factory hardware.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can raise the factory CHIMSL using the factory hardware.
It was extended up in that pic, which I mentioned above it. It wasn't designed to extend enough, and the added width of the 315 ko2 pushes the light into the wiper.

The pic you quoted was taken from a crouched position, to show the perspective from a following regular car. Here's another pic, taken within moments, but while I was standing. It just barely shows on a stock height Jeep, but is only visible to those in higher sitting positions like vans and pickups or other Jeeps.
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on the spare tire carrier mods 20190827_132900

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It was extended up in that pic, which I mentioned above it. It wasn't designed to extend enough, and the added width of the 315 ko2 pushes the light into the wiper.

The pic you quoted was taken from a crouched position, to show the perspective from a following regular car. Here's another pic, taken within moments, but while I was standing. It just barely shows on a stock height Jeep, but is only visible to those in higher sitting positions like vans and pickups or other Jeeps.
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on the spare tire carrier mods 20190827_132900
Odd. Must be the rims as my KO2'S on aftermarket wheels come no where close to hitting mine.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Odd. Must be the rims as my KO2'S on aftermarket wheels come no where close to hitting mine.
A less positive than factory or negative offset will clear the light, but will no longer be pressed into the tailgate rubbers that add support to the spare. One could raid the furniture department for a stop gap, but I always prefer a more direct line of attack. The Teraflex Alpha HD carrier seems to currently be the most cost efficient way of achieving the necessary adjustability. It also puts the 3rd brake light in a more widely noticeable area. I used it for both my 315 ko2's on factory wheels and the new 17x9's with -12mm offset wrapped in 38x13.5's. Just had to readjust the depth to the new backspacing.
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on the spare tire carrier mods 20200423_092815_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on the spare tire carrier mods 20200813_083647_resized

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Thanks for everyone's input. holding the new spare tight to the tailgate pucks was ultimately what pushed me over the top in terms of not going the "wait and see" route.

When I ordered last night the Alpha was listed as backordered (which has been the problem moving the build forward)...today I got a shipping notification though, so that was encouraging.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Another Teraflex Alpha owner here. Very well designed and built.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Thanks for everyone's input. holding the new spare tight to the tailgate pucks was ultimately what pushed me over the top in terms of not going the "wait and see" route.

When I ordered last night the Alpha was listed as backordered (which has been the problem moving the build forward)...today I got a shipping notification though, so that was encouraging.
10% off at Northridge. Code = “sharktank”
Sponsored