School me on new tires and wheels

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would love to get a lift but for some reason I thought with my parking situation it wasn’t an option ‍♀ Reading all your comments is an eye opener. Your set up would be ideal Now I have to back to the drawing board. Thanks
Just be aware that larger tires make for less acceleration, significantly more fuel burned, and longer stopping distances. The larger the tire, the more impact. No free lunches.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Good to know ! So your saying It can possibly be lifted as well like and inch or two ?
Absolutely. It'll be just fine.

I'm running BFG tires which typically are an inch, if not more, shorter than their rated size. My Jeep still stands extremely tall, but it clears my garage door just fine.

Untitled-1.jpg

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
295/70/17 Milestar Patagonias w/ a Rubicon suspension swap, am very happy w/ the tires and the overall suspension setup, nice clearance but not too much lift. Tires used to be a decent deal but the price keeps going up, they are pretty quiet for the more aggressive tread and have been wearing well.
Holy mackerel there is a lot to like in this image. Very nice rig. My 2 door JK looks much like this, sporting 35" Patagonias, same wheels, Sahara running boards and stripped of all decals, thumbs up to you on your mods. Liking the pet in the front seat and the G-N-R decal in the rear window. Rock on fellow Jeeper.

img_0253-jpg.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Holy mackerel there is a lot to like in this image. Very nice rig. My 2 door JK looks much like this, sporting 35" Patagonias, same wheels, Sahara running boards and stripped of all decals, thumbs up to you on your mods. Liking the pet in the front seat and the G-N-R decal in the rear window. Rock on fellow Jeeper.

img_0253-jpg.jpg
@Non Partisan
Thanks a lot Tim for the kind words, and cool that you noticed the "ghost dog" in the pic :)
Saw GnR 3x and Slash w/ Miles Kennedy 3x over the last 3 years, all killer shows!

Would love to see pics of your JK, if you can post a couple that would be great.

100% happy w/ the current state of our JL, only sucky think is the dinky 17 gallon gas tank, wish we could share the JLU tank, that extra 4 gallons would surely come in handy, especially when the mpg gets in the mid teens in heavy winds :(

Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Need you to school me ! Looking to get new tires and wheels for my 2019 JL sport,not looking to lift just yet. I have a. 7ft clearance were I park for work will 285/70/17 Be a good route to go ? Any suggestions on brands. I’ve been stock since I got it in December and In need of new wheels . Are Nitto grappler hybrid tires a good choice for a daily driver ? Way to many questions but I need suggestions. Thanks ‍♀

9B73FF97-45BE-43F9-8702-6B34A018AEC8.jpeg
I have a 2019 JLU and we put Mickey Thompson MTZ BAJA P3's
285's 70/17's on without a lift. I had to cut a little from under the front bumper to stop it from rubbing on 90 degree turns.

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
@VenomJeepGal For a reference to your original post. The JK here is a two door with a Mopar 2" lift and 35" tires. The highest point of the hardtop is exactly 6 feet 4 inches from the garage floor. Eight inches is a lot of leeway. Highly doubt there is a great deal of difference between 4 door and 2, or JK to JL. Parking garages require a good bit of faith, always looks too close to me but never had a scrape.

@blnewt I have uploaded images to the garage. Agree with you concerning that lil fuel tank but what we gunna do.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/01.1415/

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
@Non Partisan
Thanks a lot Tim for the kind words, and cool that you noticed the "ghost dog" in the pic :)
Saw GnR 3x and Slash w/ Miles Kennedy 3x over the last 3 years, all killer shows!

Would love to see pics of your JK, if you can post a couple that would be great.

100% happy w/ the current state of our JL, only sucky think is the dinky 17 gallon gas tank, wish we could share the JLU tank, that extra 4 gallons would surely come in handy, especially when the mpg gets in the mid teens in heavy winds :(
Man same. I only get around 230-240 miles per tank and I have a very similar setup (285 tires tho)

TFraley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
I’m running 35inch tires and 3.5inches of lift no problem getting in garage now with 37’s it won’t fit . My mud grapplers only lasted about a year and can be noisy

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

nh4x4jeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you’re looking at that size, OEM takeoff wheels and tires from a Rubicon are a good way to go and not expensive.
So I went to the dealer and asked if there was a reason why I was only getting 40k on my first set of tires. After all they were brand new BFG-AT/KO's. The service man looked at me with astonishment. a He asked: "You got 40-45 on the OEM tires?". To which I replied: "Yeah, shouldn't I get somewhere more in the ballpark of 60-65k in stock tires?". He laughed and said that's a common misconception.

He told us that the "OEM" tires on a stock vehicle only have about 50% of the wear life of any other comparable tires by name that you'd find at, say VIP or Tire Wharehouse!". The OEM BFG-ATKO's you drove off the dealer's lot with ARE NOT the same BFG-ATKO's sold down the block at the tire store!

Seriously, I thought he couldn't be right and I was rather skeptical. 20 minutes of Googling later, I KNEW that he had clued me into one of the industries "Dirty Little Secrets"!

It seems that Auto makers know that they have ONE SHOT to impress you before you walk off the lot to drive their competitor's vehicle. So, they use a softer rubber for a silky smooth quieter ride - at YOUR sacrifice of having those tires wear 2x as fast once you've bought the car. Look it up. Sad, but true.

So, take that into consideration when buying OEM tires. Also consider how much it costs to mount, balance, dispose, etc... And the ACT of changing the tires figures into the cost.

We bought used tires with good tread cheap for our old truck in a pinch... But how long did the tires sit? How were they stored? We're they over-inflated, under-inflated, bashed against curbs? It's such a hard choice to make. If you have the cash, new would probably be best. I'm in n the same boat and we've put them off all winter...

Jeeptalkshow.com did some extended testing with Nexiums and were really impressed. There was also a US company that does retreads safely, high-quality, and cost effectively, but I don't recall the company off hand... Hope some of that helps ..

Oh, also:
Tire Size Calc

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So I went to the dealer and asked if there was a reason why I was only getting 40k on my first set of tires. After all they were brand new BFG-AT/KO's. The service man looked at me with astonishment. a He asked: "You got 40-45 on the OEM tires?". To which I replied: "Yeah, shouldn't I get somewhere more in the ballpark of 60-65k in stock tires?". He laughed and said that's a common misconception.

He told us that the "OEM" tires on a stock vehicle only have about 50% of the wear life of any other comparable tires by name that you'd find at, say VIP or Tire Wharehouse!". The OEM BFG-ATKO's you drove off the dealer's lot with ARE NOT the same BFG-ATKO's sold down the block at the tire store!

Seriously, I thought he couldn't be right and I was rather skeptical. 20 minutes of Googling later, I KNEW that he had clued me into one of the industries "Dirty Little Secrets"!

It seems that Auto makers know that they have ONE SHOT to impress you before you walk off the lot to drive their competitor's vehicle. So, they use a softer rubber for a silky smooth quieter ride - at YOUR sacrifice of having those tires wear 2x as fast once you've bought the car. Look it up. Sad, but true.

So, take that into consideration when buying OEM tires. Also consider how much it costs to mount, balance, dispose, etc... And the ACT of changing the tires figures into the cost.

We bought used tires with good tread cheap for our old truck in a pinch... But how long did the tires sit? How were they stored? We're they over-inflated, under-inflated, bashed against curbs? It's such a hard choice to make. If you have the cash, new would probably be best. I'm in n the same boat and we've put them off all winter...

Jeeptalkshow.com did some extended testing with Nexiums and were really impressed. There was also a US company that does retreads safely, high-quality, and cost effectively, but I don't recall the company off hand... Hope some of that helps ..

Oh, also:
Tire Size Calc
I’ve not sure that I believe that a given model of tire that comes on a vehicle from the factory is somehow different than the same model of tire that you buy retail. Actually I am quite sure that I don’t believe a word of that. Frankly that sounds made up.

EDIT: As you suggested I did a cursory search and did find a few sources that agree with your claim. I’m surprised. But I’m still not sure that I believe that’s true. Anybody here work for a tire manufacturer and can definitively verify that factory OEM tires wear differently than retail replacements of the exact same tire?

nh4x4jeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’ve not sure that I believe that a given model of tire that comes on a vehicle from the factory is somehow different than the same model of tire that you buy retail. Actually I am quite sure that I don’t believe a word of that. Frankly that sounds made up.

EDIT: As you suggested I did a cursory search and did find a few sources that agree with your claim. I’m surprised. But I’m still not sure that I believe that’s true. Anybody here work for a tire manufacturer and can definitively verify that factory OEM tires wear differently than retail replacements of the exact same tire?
I was pretty skeptical too.. Until I read article after article. I guess it's kinda like the inkjet printers giving you a starter FULL-SIZED cartridge which is only HALF FULL.

Have you gone through your 1st set of sneakers yet? How did you do?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I was pretty skeptical too.. Until I read article after article. I guess it's kinda like the inkjet printers giving you a starter FULL-SIZED cartridge which is only HALF FULL.

Have you gone through your 1st set of sneakers yet? How did you do?
I know for a fact that the printer ink thing is legit, because you can actually see the amount of ink in the cartridges printed on the label. I sold my OEM tires and wheels early on so I don’t have any frame of reference on this Jeep. Only every other new vehicle I’ve purchased. None with noticeably short tread life for the tires involved and my driving style.
Sponsored