Not open for further replies.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just to add to the chorus of InReach supporters, you should also be aware that you can use it to text contacts that are /not/ emergency rescue. You could text someone to come pull you out, for instance, and send them coordinates along with that. The SOS is a nice to have, but the fact that you can text contacts at-hoc is especially nice.

This might help explain: https://www.rei.com/blog/news/which-satellite-messenger-should-you-get
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
No GPSr and you need your phone (battery charged) to text.
I thought it had both having read reviews and thinking that it was nice they gave a faster texting option by enabling Bluetooth connection to a cell just to text more quickly?

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
I have used Irridium Sat phones a great deal, much better than Globalstar if they still exist. I also personally carry Garmin In Reach Mini and they work very well and have a SOS feature as mentioned above. Both can take a few minutes to connect depending on your location, I spend a great deal of time in remote locations up to 30 miles from a road. I also work in a rural ED and have personally recieved many patients that were able to get help using the Garmin In Reach products and successfully evacuated. I have been impressed with battery life of both phones and InReach products. In the event of needing help being able to relay coordinates is important and the In Reach products with the SOS help with that as well. I tried spot products in the past and found them unreliable and useless, they may have since improved. The In Reach Mini we use allows you to synch with your phone very easily as well. I have two sat phones and we have three In reach Minis for myself and sons that we clip on to our gear. I fully endorse both.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I thought the SOS button on my rear view mirror (8.4 Uconnect with SiriusXM Guardian) also makes a satellite call to FCA Roadside assistance. At least that’s what mine did when I had to use it and I didn’t feel the need to have another expense on top that I’d rarely ever use.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I thought the SOS button on my rear view mirror (8.4 Uconnect with SiriusXM Guardian) also makes a satellite call to FCA Roadside assistance. At least that’s what mine did when I had to use it and I didn’t feel the need to have another expense on top that I’d rarely ever use.
Mine didn't work in Bumfxck, WY after hitting an animal. No cell service....no SOS

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I thought it had both having read reviews and thinking that it was nice they gave a faster texting option by enabling Bluetooth connection to a cell just to text more quickly?
Yes, but you need to have your cell phone. The full sized inReach can also connect to your phone, but has the built in GPSr as a backup.

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepdabest, a lot of wyoming is like that, cell service is spotty and that is why all my kids have an inreach mini in their car and when we head to the hills on horseback. the preset messages work well without cell phone and you can send custom text from the device it self but its slower. THe larger inreach products certainly probably have more features which are nice but from a barebones standpoint the mini works well and cost me 12/month for service, I have never used the features in the vehicle as my needs extend beyond vehicle based needs.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Jeepdabest, a lot of wyoming is like that, cell service is spotty and that is why all my kids have an inreach mini in their car and when we head to the hills on horseback. the preset messages work well without cell phone and you can send custom text from the device it self but its slower. THe larger inreach products certainly probably have more features which are nice but from a barebones standpoint the mini works well and cost me 12/month for service, I have never used the features in the vehicle as my needs extend beyond vehicle based needs.
Thanks for the reply. Please note that I wasn't putting down Wyoming. I LOVE it there because of all the wide open spaces but realized i was screwed in that situation because of the wide open spaces without cell towers,

Sponsored

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certainly no offense taken, we have marginal statewide cell service. It is great to get away from the hustle and bustle but can be pretty remote when you need help

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
I just bought a new Garmin Montana 700i with inReach. I have maps preloaded and its a sturdy device as well. I sometimes do long road trips with no cell coverage, and if I have a breakdown, I can use the SOS function. I ready on another thread that using SOS for mechanical breakdowns is acceptable if you are in an isolated place where walking is not feasible and during the SOS functionality, you can text back and forth to the operators and they can send the appropriate type of help for a breakdown (AAA, towtruck, vs helicopter S&R, etc). I pay approx $30/month and includes 40 texts that I can send out for my status as well. Good piece of mind if I need it, plus, I can mount it to my bike, and take it hiking with me as well. While its a fairly heavy unit, it meets Mil-Spec 810C requirements, so its very rugged.

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
While that is a good feature, if you have a breakdown or electrical issue with your vehicle, the SOS feature may not work, thus, in my opinion, having a stand alone inReach device is better, plus its portable and you can take it with you on hikes, etc.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.