Sponsored

Sahara vs Rubicon JL Technicals

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
Mainly on-road for driving it, but I still want to go off-road with it. When you goto the Jeep clubs are like 90% of then Rubis?
Sponsored

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2018 JLU Rubicon
Mainly on-road for driving it, but I still want to go off-road with it. When you goto the Jeep clubs are like 90% of then Rubis?
Rubi would be an understatement in Jeep clubs :) , as most of them are modified. you hardly find a stock Sahara in a Jeep club. :)

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I get concerned when I see people post about "if you are going to take it off road" in response to people asking about what they need.

I think we need to be clear. Most people that talk about off road would be able to accomplish their task in any model Jeep. I love the looks of the Rubicon and may trade up to one in the future but honestly that Rubicon I feel is more built for people that are going to be doing challenging off road runs that have obstacles that most will not encounter.

I think we need to find out what everyone's definition of their "off road" is. For some off road means a fire road which hell I could do in most any vehicle.
Very true. Its something that always confuses me as a first time Wrangler owner (JL Sahara). The more I think about it the more I pull my self towards the idea of not spending $5k on lift kit and tires that will be overkill for the off-roading I am going to be doing. In all seriousness. The off-roading I will be doing would be fine with simply doing a Rubicon take off swap and .5" spacers with larger 33" or 35" tires. The rubi swap, onto my Sahara with the .5" teraflex spacers should net me a nice 1.5" - 2" lift (I hope). At least that is what I am reading from other who have done the same build.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have driven jeeps and all sorts of f our wheel drive all my life for work. Hereis what i have learned. Basically pretty any good 4 wheel drive with atleast a limited slip/ winch or lockers and you can get pretty much any where your rig will fit. HOWEVER, with a rubicon you can do it with alot less damge ( body) and a lot less drama. Case in point I was inthe Sierra national forest and looking for some solitdue. did not know it was hunting season, trailers quads every where UGhh, m=not my ide of getting away . On my unconnect nav I see this lake and a trail leading up to it. I decide to take the trail and it progrssively gets rougher and rockier ( no travel trailers pick ups etc on this trail) an about the time Idecide this might be more than I need I figure out I am crawling up a strem bed with large 2 plus ft dia rocks lots of trees etc. and there is no way to turn around . So I put it low disconnect the sway bar and with a careful use of the rear locker I just drive up the trail and get to this pretty lake w ith no one around and absoulte quiet. Here is the point you never know what you are going to find yourself in terrain wise. So if you wheel alone or like to explore be prepared. If you are going with friends then not so much . My jeep is ajlur with 315 17 70s no lift and a super winch 10 k exp. Most of my other vehicles would have suffered greatly on that trail, maybe some would still be there.
Sponsored