JL Rubicon Gearing vs. Sahara

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Hi all, noobie here. I test drove a Rubicon Automatic over the weekend and it seemed to have better acceleration than the Sahara, that I test drove a few weeks ago. Did I imagine that, or does the Rubicon accelerate better? If so, is it because of the diff gear ratios? I assumed the gear rations came into play more when it was in 4WD. Also I really wanted a manual transmission, would the Rubicon have better acceleration than a Sahara manual?
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, noobie here. I test drove a Rubicon Automatic over the weekend and it seemed to have better acceleration than the Sahara, that I test drove a few weeks ago. Did I imagine that, or does the Rubicon accelerate better? If so, is it because of the diff gear ratios? I assumed the gear rations came into play more when it was in 4WD. Also I really wanted a manual transmission, would the Rubicon have better acceleration than a Sahara manual?
The Rubicon has 4.10 gears while the Sahara has 3.45...so no you didn’t imagine it and yes the Rubi will always accelerate quicker. And the transfer cases are geared differently as well (if I remember right) so the Rubi has a little advantage there too...

OP
OP
cdhd2

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The Rubicon has 4.10 gears while the Sahara has 3.45...so no you didn’t imagine it and yes the Rubi will always accelerate quicker. And the transfer cases are geared differently as well (if I remember right) so the Rubi has a little advantage there too...
Thanks for the verification TA1ton! I swore it was faster, but didnt know if I was just dreaming.

I imagine with that gearing, the manual Rubicons first gear is very short, like driving an 18 wheeler?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, ain't that the truth !

I find it easier to just crawl to stop signs and start in 2nd (California stops)-

1st gear is great on any hills though and in 4lo, you don't even have to giveit gas !

W.E.

JIMBO

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S

there is also a big difference between the manual and auto. I have a manual sahara with rubicon takeoff 33's and feel that it would really benefit from 4.10 or 4.56 gearing especially from 3rd gear through 6th

the manual has a double overdrive (5th and 6th)

Sponsored

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I think the Sahara will get a little better gas mileage due to the different gearing..

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the Sahara will get a little better gas mileage due to the different gearing..
I average about 20 with mixed driving and 33s

with stock tires I averaged about 21

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Did you have the dealer adjust tire size in Jeep computer? I have the same set up and getting terrible gas mileage.
Don't the OEM Sahara tires and OEM Rubicon tires only differ like a half inch in actual diameter? I suspect your fuel consumption issues are more to due with the wider section and much higher weight with the Rubicon K02s, which doesn't have anything to do with the computer.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have the dealer adjust tire size in Jeep computer? I have the same set up and getting terrible gas mileage.

I didn't program the computer yet, (don't really need to right away with stick) but the computer reads around 19.2 which up-calculates to 19.6+ after adjusting for the tire size.

I agree that the gas mileage difference is mostly from weight of the tires/wheels (part of the reason I went with rubicon takeoffs v. stock wheels with bigger tires....the BFG KO2s are really light compared to other 33s)

now my mileage will probably drop further as we get into the winter

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't program the computer yet, (don't really need to right away with stick) but the computer reads around 19.2 which up-calculates to 19.6+ after adjusting for the tire size.

I agree that the gas mileage difference is mostly from weight of the tires/wheels (part of the reason I went with rubicon takeoffs v. stock wheels with bigger tires....the BFG KO2s are really light compared to other 33s)

now my mileage will probably drop further as we get into the winter

Ok, so I looked recently and with the cold weather I’m down to 18.2 on display or around18.6 adjusted for tire size
Sponsored