devaka

First Name
Devaka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hi,
I am an Australian who loves weekend landscape photography and this will be my daily drive in the city which mean 80% time on pavement.
I want to compare the pavement ride quality difference between Sahara and Rubicon. Does it drives and feel the same on the pavement?

All the article I read highlights Rubicans ability on offroad but didn't find any comparison of pavement.
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I daily drive a Rubicon and have zero complaints about its on-road manners. Mostly Freeway/highway commuting at around 120km/h.

At 20% off-road you're already probably well beyond most Rubicon owners in off-road mileage.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I drive my rubicon at 70 MPH regularly and itā€™s great. I probably spent 16 hours in it this weekend highway, trail and beach riding.

The Sahara May have a nicer highway ride. I have not driven one. I think your choice depends on how rugged the off road terrain is you plan on driving to.

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
The MOAB is essentally a ā€œSaharaconā€. Shocks and springs of a rubicon and suspension of a sahara. Took it on a 400 mile road trip and drives real nice.

46DC6703-A454-4423-BF6C-D1FC93D100AF.jpeg

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The MOAB is essentally a ā€œSaharaconā€. Shocks and springs of a rubicon and suspension of a sahara. Took it on a 400 mile road trip and drives real nice.

46DC6703-A454-4423-BF6C-D1FC93D100AF.jpeg
Might not be available down under

Sponsored

OP
OP

devaka

First Name
Devaka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hi All,
Thank you very much. I decided to go with Rubican 3.6 petrol.

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
Go for the Rubicon.... You will love it !

I had a JKU Sahara before... my JLU Rubicon is my daily driver and I love it even more than my Sahara. It has very good street matters!

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I had a 2017 Saraha JK and I like the ride of the Rubicon JL better. I'm sure the Saraha JL is somewhat smother but not enough that the Rubicon will be something you are not satisfied with. The 2019 is a vast improvement over the JK. You get a lot of HD parts with the Rubi which if you just drive normal should make it bullet proof (except for the Jeep quirks you may or may not have in either model)

Lui

First Name
Lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Jl
Hi,
I am an Australian who loves weekend landscape photography and this will be my daily drive in the city which mean 80% time on pavement.
I want to compare the pavement ride quality difference between Sahara and Rubicon. Does it drives and feel the same on the pavement?

All the article I read highlights Rubicans ability on offroad but didn't find any comparison of pavement.

Lui

First Name
Lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Jl
I had driven the sahara JL on a test drive...
But I bought the Rubicon JL. The drive of the rubicon is smooth and comfortable like any SUV ( I owned a honda CRV and now a pilot)... a bit stiffer in bumps due to the large 33inch tires, and the wind noise is more noticeable above 70mph. It accelarates good and has no problem on merging or passing. It is comfortable and has no problem cruising at 80mph!

Sponsored

Lui

First Name
Lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Jl
Devaka,
I had driven the sahara JL on a test drive...
But I bought the Rubicon JL. The drive of the rubicon is smooth and comfortable like any SUV ( I owned a honda CRV and now a pilot)... a bit stiffer in bumps due to the large 33inch tires, and the wind noise is more noticeable above 70mph. It accelarates good and has no problem on merging or passing. It is comfortable and has no problem cruising at 80mph!
ā€˜Hope this helps!

OP
OP

devaka

First Name
Devaka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Awesome. I deposited for 2019 Rubican Full loaded. One thing I noticed was Australian version Rubican comes only with 32"' BFGoodrich off-road tyres option.
I would much prefer an AT tyres option to reduce road noise. What do you think?

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
December drove my Rubi 700 miles highway one week later made the same trip in reverse. I have the hard tops, Alpine with the noise cancelling stuff, no headliners, drive was cold as h3ll! Road manners, were not bad, avg speed was 70, there is some play in the steering like everyone says, it isnā€™t bad. Having come from multiple BMWs including the one that my Rubi shares the garage with now, the Wranger isnā€™t the same. Nor did I expect it to be. The longer highway drives arenā€™t bad. They arenā€™t ā€˜car designed for high speed highway drivingā€™ good, but itā€™s a Wranger and wasnā€™t designed to be. I have not spent much time in a Sahara, my guess is its a little smoother, if i would have went with the Sahara first thing i would have done is flip the tires for something more aggressive = that would have been a less well mannered highway drive as well Iā€™m sure... long and short it isnā€™t bad on the highway, it isnā€™t a M5 on the highway, but its pretty damn good for what it is.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Awesome. I deposited for 2019 Rubican Full loaded. One thing I noticed was Australian version Rubican comes only with 32"' BFGoodrich off-road tyres option.
I would much prefer an AT tyres option to reduce road noise. What do you think?
If it's the MT (mud tires) they will probably be noisy. Here the 33" are the KO2's and so far I have not noticed them to be noisy. Of course with the one touch sky roof I get a lot of noise at 70 mph and don't know that I would notice tire noise.
Sponsored