Sponsored

Safety packages - initial thoughts

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
How long it will be before those Off switches disappear by force of regulatory edict is anyone's guess.
Likely never, for lots of reasons. Stability control systems have been around forever, yet you can still commonly disable them. The only time you can't, is on super low end commuter cars. It makes practical sense because there are situations (like being stuck in the mud) where the system will get in the way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Total aside, but still safety related. When are we Americans going to learn to signal lane changes? I was on the highway the other day and it was like a slalom race with vehicles weaving (unsignalled) in and out of gaps.

I would love to see us adopt the European model where it takes more effort/study to obtain a driver's license.

That said, last year the head of the AZ State Police was stopped in his personal vehicle threading, without signalling, through traffic at speeds up to 90 mph. He was on personal time, and received no ticket/warning. That was because he was astute enough to present his business card along with his license to the officer who stopped him. I'm all for some level of professional courtesy, but this one sent the wrong message to the citizens.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
When are we Americans going to learn to signal lane changes?

...last year, the head of the AZ State Police was stopped in his personal vehicle threading, without signaling, through traffic at speeds up to 90 mph.

He was on personal time, and received no ticket/warning. That was because he was astute enough to present his business card along with his license to the officer who stopped him.
"Professional courtesy." It's just the way of the world.

There are ways that we can hedge our bets, but there's still an element of chance that will always be there, if or when we get lit up. We can control the risk by driving with some degree of observable competence, and within spitting distance of the posted speed limits. Let the fools who can't or won't do so, out themselves.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Total aside, but still safety related. When are we Americans going to learn to signal lane changes? I was on the highway the other day and it was like a slalom race with vehicles weaving (unsignalled) in and out of gaps.

I would love to see us adopt the European model where it takes more effort/study to obtain a driver's license.

That said, last year the head of the AZ State Police was stopped in his personal vehicle threading, without signalling, through traffic at speeds up to 90 mph. He was on personal time, and received no ticket/warning. That was because he was astute enough to present his business card along with his license to the officer who stopped him. I'm all for some level of professional courtesy, but this one sent the wrong message to the citizens.
This. Many European countries make it more difficult and expensive to get a license, which causes people to take the privilege (NOT a right) to drive more seriously. I’m looking at you Finland.

Also, cops usually don’t enforce laws when it relates to other cops, just people who aren’t cops.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I had decided some years ago that cruise control had become obsolete. Then I recently rented a car (Volvo S60) with Adaptive Cruise Control and suddenly I now have to have it. I hope it works as well on the 2021 JLURD. :crying:
ACC works great on my 2020 JL!

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So...I'm now north of 1,000 miles and I'm still impressed with all of the safety features. The lane change and backup features have been especially helpful. I've even had the front collision alert (no braking) when someone cut me off. I have had NO false alerts from ANY of the features. For the life of me, I can't see how people can consider these packages intrusive.

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I have used the Adaptive Cruise Control feature in foggy weather (not in a Jeep) to keep a consistent distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me when the visibility drops off. It also works well in blowing snow. Wet show will cover over the sensor in any vehicle and shut it off.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I have the SAFETY GROUP, and did not get the ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP. If you're playing at home...

SAFETY GROUP:
  • Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection
  • Injection Molded Black Rear Bumper
  • LED Tail Lamps
  • ParkSense® Rear Park-Assist System
ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP:
  • Advanced Brake-Assist
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
  • Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop
  • Enhanced Adaptive Cruise Control
Same here...i did the same thing on my order