Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I like the safety packages as well but not the active braking. I was doing highway speed when my Jeep was new. The 3 lanes ahead all curved to the right. I was in the right lane and a bus was in the middle lane. As soon as the lanes shifted (and the bus with it) I guess the computer thought the bus was an obstacle. My Jeep jammed the brake so hard I felt my body going towards the steering wheel. All I could think in that second was I hope the person behind me isnā€™t too close.
I shut the feature at my next stop and never turned it on again.
Sponsored

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I have a ā€˜19 JLUR with both the safety group and the advanced safety group options and love it with one exception (and Iā€™ve posted on this before). The FCW can be ā€œwonkyā€ on occasion. Iā€™ve had the alert come on the dash and it brake pretty aggressively when it wasnā€™t truly necessary (yes I was paying attention). Iā€™ve had to adjust the sensitivity as well as there were a few occasions where, when going through a drive through lane the system thought I was going to hit a lamp post (off the road where the drive curved around) and started to brake. I took it to the dealer and was told itā€™s operating correctly. Point is donā€™t depend on it and be prepared to adjust the sensitivity. I find it overly sensitive in the rain as well...

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I turned 65 this summer and wanted some technology to help offset any diminishment in my reflexes (or even moments of inattention from time-to-time :)), so I ordered both safety packages. I tried the suggestion of the Luddite members on here - "It's simple, just pay attention", but being human, I can't rely on that exclusively. I only have 600 miles so far, but I'm already glad that I opted for them. FWIW, I have all of the features set at the most sensitive levels and yet to find them intrusive.

• Lane change warning: So far this is my favorite one. The light-up icon in the mirror is fine, but I suggest activating the audible alert as well. I've heard some complain that the audible alert is annoying, but I'm trying to figure out why. The alert only sounds if there is someone in your blind spot AND you signal a lane change. In other words, the alert only sounds if you are about to do something dumb - how can that be annoying?
  • Adaptive cruise control: I've only used it a few times, but it works as designed. Someone cut me off without signaling a lane change and the ACC was all over it.
  • Cross-Path detection: Has worked several times, once backing out of a parking space and also backing out of my driveway. I wasn't actually in any danger (I had simply slipped the transmission into reverse), so I can't speak to the emergency braking aspect.
  • Forward collision warning/braking: This was the feature that I wanted most due to this incident (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-on-ordering-the-steel-bumper-option.44772/). The good news is I haven't seen the feature in action.
I agree with all your assessments, I ordered my JL through the factory with BSW and Cross-Path detection. They work great, and come especially when driving at night, or in backing out from shopping center lots. I believe the option was in the realm of $589, now I think it's approaching $900+. Unfortunately most dealerships don't order their vehicles with this option. I was glad to see the Wrangler now comes standard with side impact air bags.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I didn't want either of the safety packages but on my test drive I actually liked the blind spot monitoring and saw value in it so I added that one to my order. But there is no way in hell I want my vehicle slamming on the brakes when I don't want it to. I've been driving a long time accident free by paying attention and don't plan on backing off that plan.
Yes the operative word is paying attention. With the advent of cell phones many drivers are to busy texting or talking on their phones. This is an accident in waiting.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lane departure sucks in our Subaru as we live off a two lane road and basically if you are not right on center it is always going off.
My sonā€™s Jetta died this spring (basically caught on fire) so we bought him a 2020 Kia Forte that has the lane departure with steering assist. Essentially above 40mph it gently steers the vehicle in the center of the lane, even through turns. It was a little disconcerting at first but Iā€™ve grown to really like it (so has he). One of the better implementations Iā€™ve seen.

Sponsored

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fair point. I think everyone here pretty much respects opposing opinions in this thread so far. Unlike in the real world. :)

I rented a Camry once with it and I didnā€™t drive it long enough to make friends with it but I didnā€™t care for it much. Turned it off with the press of a button.
I think most of these features should be standard these days AS LONG AS one has the ability to deactivate them if they donā€™t want to use them. Driver ALWAYS assumes all risk and responsibility when sitting behind the wheel, regardless how good the safety systems are.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
One thing I hated on my 2020 Outback was that Lane Keeping Assist would sometimes be too aggressive, and occasionally steer me too close to another vehicle. And the fact that it would turn itself off and on too frequently for my tastes. It would also slam on the brakes sometimes if someone was turning in front of me and it felt like I wasn't braking soon enough.

I was fine with not having these features on my new JL because I just found them more annoying than helpful.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I think most of these features should be standard these days AS LONG AS one has the ability to deactivate them if they donā€™t want to use them.

[The] driver ALWAYS assumes all risk and responsibility when sitting behind the wheel, regardless how good the safety systems are.
Your second sentence is in tension with the first one, mate.

It's precisely because I agree 100% with the second sentence that we see its contradiction with the first one. We -- those of us who maintain a principled and informed opposition to electronic nannies -- shouldn't be forced to pay for so-called safety technology that we don't want or need, as the first sentence plainly advocates.

I grant that this isn't a battle we're going to win. Every year brings with it an ever-expanding list of vehicle trim levels that include such fitments as standard equipment.

My wife's 2019 CRV-EX has the full suite of so-called driver aids. They're well-integrated, which is to say they function quite well when compared to what a few JL owners have noted in this thread. Still, it required just one drive in her new Honda for me to seek out the corresponding Off switches when we got home.

How long it will be before those Off switches disappear by force of regulatory edict is anyone's guess.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for sharing. This is reassuring!
Something else to consider: do you have your system set to apply the brakes or not? You can set it to only warn you with passive features or to actually brake the vehicle in emergency situations.

Sponsored

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Something else to consider: do you have your system set to apply the brakes or not? You can set it to only warn you with passive features or to actually brake the vehicle in emergency situations.
Yes, it is set to apply the brakes. But it rarely warns. Maybe all of my honking helps ;)

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
I had decided some years ago that cruise control had become obsolete. Then I recently rented a car (Volvo S60) with Adaptive Cruise Control and suddenly I now have to have it. I hope it works as well on the 2021 JLURD. :crying:

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I had decided some years ago that cruise control had become obsolete. Then I recently rented a car (Volvo S60) with Adaptive Cruise Control and suddenly I now have to have it. I hope it works as well on the 2021 JLURD. :crying:
Works great on my 2019 Sarah!

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Regarding the cross-path detection: I've had audible alerts in situations where someone was driving past (behind me), and I had the transmission in reverse, but no close calls yet.

Question: is there an emergency braking aspect to this feature or is that exclusive to the front collision warning?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the cross-path detection: I've had audible alerts in situations where someone was driving past (behind me), and I had the transmission in reverse, but no close calls yet.

Question: is there an emergency braking aspect to this feature or is that exclusive to the front collision warning?
You can run over as many children as you want in reverse. Going forward, not many.
Sponsored