Sponsored

Safety packages - initial thoughts

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Same as what I opted for on my recent order a couple weeks ago.

I actually would've liked both packages but I was trying to cut some costs a bit, so the advanced safety group got knocked out. I felt like I had to have the first safety group though as the blind spot and lane detection stuff always seems to come in fairly handy.

I do have forward crash warning on my current car and really don't find it very useful. In fact, it's fairly annoying and I've thought about just turning it off but haven't gotten around to it. It goes off frequently when I'm accelerating or approaching a vehicle and I'm nowhere near "crashing" into them.

Either way, I wonder if most of these features should just be standard items in this day and age. I guess it goes either way. I suppose it's nice to have the option to not have them if you want. But in reality, probably need all the safety stuff they can put on these vehicles in these days of distracted drivers looking at their phones everywhere.

I got the blind spot monitor and rear cross-path detection, but purposely didn’t get the adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning.

I think the BSM and rear sensors are worth the money. However, the adaptive cruise and forward collision I find intrusive and annoying. Worse, their forward sensors add a level of complexity I don’t want on a vehicle I take to the trail, least of all given FCA’s indifferent quality.
Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I have the advanced as well, but how do you get the auto high beams to work?
I have my headlights set to auto, then when they turn on at night push the stick on the left of the steering wheel away from you once, and it will say auto high beams enabled or disabled and it will retain that setting.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I turned 65 this summer and wanted some technology to help offset any diminishment in my reflexes (or even moments of inattention from time-to-time :)), so I ordered both safety packages. I tried the suggestion of the Ludite members on here - "It's simple, just pay attention", but being human, I can't rely on that exclusively. I only have 600 miles so far, but I'm already glad that I opted for them. FWIW, I have all of the features set at the most sensitive levels and yet to find them intrusive.

• Lane change warning: So far this is my favorite one. The light-up icon in the mirror is fine, but I suggest activating the audible alert as well. I've heard some complain that the audible alert is annoying, but I'm trying to figure out why. The alert only sounds if there is someone in your blind spot AND you signal a lane change. In other words, the alert only sounds if you are about to do something dumb - how can that be annoying?
  • Adaptive cruise control: I've only used it a few times, but it works as designed. Someone cut me off without signaling a lane change and the ACC was all over it.
  • Cross-Path detection: Has worked several times, once backing out of a parking space and also backing out of my driveway. I wasn't actually in any danger (I had simply slipped the transmission into reverse), so I can't speak to the emergency braking aspect.
  • Forward collision warning/braking: This was the feature that I wanted most due to this incident (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-on-ordering-the-steel-bumper-option.44772/). The good news is I haven't seen the feature in action.
I never liked the word packages except maybe the one or two I get under the Christmas tree . Most of these so called packages have been invented by the suits to suck up more money from your valet. The packages often offer features one pays for but really doesn't need them .

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Same as what I opted for on my recent order a couple weeks ago.

I actually would've liked both packages but I was trying to cut some costs a bit, so the advanced safety group got knocked out. I felt like I had to have the first safety group though as the blind spot and lane detection stuff always seems to come in fairly handy.

I do have forward crash warning on my current car and really don't find it very useful. In fact, it's fairly annoying and I've thought about just turning it off but haven't gotten around to it. It goes off frequently when I'm accelerating or approaching a vehicle and I'm nowhere near "crashing" into them.

Either way, I wonder if most of these features should just be standard items in this day and age. I guess it goes either way. I suppose it's nice to have the option to not have them if you want. But in reality, probably need all the safety stuff they can put on these vehicles in these days of distracted drivers looking at their phones everywhere.
Yeah, Toyota made these options standard. My 2019 Tacoma had the ACC, forward collision and lane departure warning. They were so annoying I turned them off.

Worse, the forward sensor was an endless source of problems. Toyota had to issue a series of recalls because moisture would build behind the forward sensor and start giving all sorts of chimes and codes.

A popular Tacoma mod is to replace that ugly “cheese grater” grille with a TRD grille that has TOYOTA spelled across. But Toyota charges $400 for that giant piece of molded plastic, while Chinese knockoffs are only $100. So a lot of people would buy the Chinese knockoff. However, you are better off buying the OE sensor cover; if you use the Made in China grille with the Chinese sensor cover, it will freak out the forward sensor.

I also remember owners with trucks that had as little as a 2” lift, complain of the forward sensor freaking out. The electronics detected the higher distance to the road and determine, incorrectly, that the truck must be “flying”...LOL!

No thanks. I have no need for any of that aggravation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
We had all these features on a 2018 Honda CRV I traded on a Wrangler. Honestly, I had a love hate with all of them and opted to NOT get them on the Wrangler. Honda's implementation seemed pretty solid, but I still had random breaking from the collision thing in different situations, and frankly, the warning that someone was next to me when I put a turn signal on was annoying. (I find the Jeeps mirror and lack of blind spots better than the system, lol).

As far as adaptive cruise control? That is one of the features I wanted to love, but wound up hating. I'd find myself doing 10-20 under the speed limit due to the person in front of me without even knowing it. Also, the CRV brake light came on when breaking\slowing which always made me feel like the person behind me figured I was intoxicated or something.

I think a lot of these features need a few more years of refinement before I would want them again.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The irony here is that, as a senior citizen, I should be the one shying away from innovation, so I'm surprised at the organ-donor-rejection responses. I'm willing to take a few false alarms if there is a chance that the features will help me. That said, I've only had helpful experiences so far - no false anything. People were equally dubious of anti-lock brakes 30 years ago ("I'm not going to let some computer control my brakes!"), and we see how that ended up.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The irony here is that, as a senior citizen, I should be the one shying away from innovation, so I'm surprised at the organ-donor-rejection responses. I'm willing to take a few false alarms if there is a chance that the features will help me. That said, I've only had helpful experiences so far - no false anything. People were equally dubious of anti-lock brakes 30 years ago ("I'm not going to let some computer control my brakes!"), and we see how that ended up.
I think you’re on to something Rick. A couple of things actually. I believe that as these safety technologies improve and become more commonplace there will be less resistance to them. The ABS example is a great one. Remember the morons who insisted that they could pump their brakes faster and better than any computer could on slick surfaces to stop shorter in a non ABS vehicle than one with ABS? Because they were seasoned and experienced drivers? I do. I remember “freedom lovers” ranting about their god given constitutional rights being trampled on by big government making them do something intrusive that they don’t have the right to require of them - wear a seat belt.

I also see your age possibly being a factor in your acceptance. My parents are older than you are and are in the twilight of their driving years. Anything on their car that helps them drive more safely, as well as protects other drivers from their mistakes, I’m all for. They see it too now. My dad would have raised hell about it 40 years ago when he was still 10 feet tall and bulletproof and was convinced he was a perfect driver. He’s wiser now.

ArielPR

First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I’m only 50 and not happy with all new technology’s, former Aircraft Mech, I ordered both safety packages. I do not believe that we loose concentration with age, maybe we care less. But I’m in favor of safety.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m only 50 and not happy with all new technology’s, former Aircraft Mech, I ordered both safety packages. I do not believe that we loose concentration with age, maybe we care less. But I’m in favor of safety.
This is objectively and demonstrably false. You know that, right? Not only cognitive sharpness, but reflexes and physical ability.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The [full] suite of driver aids that were standard on my wife's 2019 Honda CR-V EX do function fairly well. That's my perception, but it's not an endorsement.

I remember the novelty of my first experience with the lane departure warning system, where the vehicle self-steered back into the center of our lane just after I purposely put the driver's tires on the center line. Big Mother was there to correct me. Neat...but it still earned an eye roll from me.

As I'm not yet 40 years older than I am, and am still close to 10 feet tall, I admit to enjoying the role of Luddite Lite as it concerns my critiquing [elsewhere] the ever-expanding presence of these so-called safety systems. I know I won't change any minds here, and perhaps my own perspective toward this tech will shift in the fullness of time. For now, I'm content to observe the opinions of others, whilst still enjoying the ability to say No to these accursed electronic nannies when configuring a new vehicle build... such as I did in Sept. with my JLUS. :)

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The [full] suite of driver aids that were standard on my wife's 2019 Honda CR-V EX do function fairly well. That's my perception, but it's not an endorsement.

I remember the novelty of my first experience with the lane departure warning system, where the vehicle self-steered back into the center of our lane just after I purposely put the driver's tires on the center line. Big Mother was there to correct me. Neat...but it still earned an eye roll from me.

As I'm not yet 40 years older than I am, and am still close to 10 feet tall, I admit to enjoying the role of Luddite Lite as it concerns my critiquing [elsewhere] the ever-expanding presence of these so-called safety systems. I know I won't change any minds here, and perhaps my own perspective toward this tech will shift in the fullness of time. For now, I'm content to observe the opinions of others, whilst still enjoying the ability to say No to these f**king electronic nannies when configuring a new vehicle build... such as I did in Sept. with my JLUS. :)
"Ludite Lite" - I like it! What put me over the top was the rear-ender that I linked to in post #1 in this thread. I suspect that the front collision warning would have saved my bacon.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

As I'm not yet 40 years older than I am, and am still close to 10 feet tall, I admit to enjoying the role of Luddite Lite as it concerns my critiquing [elsewhere] the ever-expanding presence of these so-called safety systems. I know I won't change any minds here, and perhaps my own perspective toward this tech will shift in the fullness of time. For now, I'm content to observe the opinions of others, whilst still enjoying the ability to say No to these accursed electronic nannies when configuring a new vehicle build... such as I did in Sept. with my JLUS. :)
Fair point. I think everyone here pretty much respects opposing opinions in this thread so far. Unlike in the real world. :)

FWIW, Jeep does NOT have lane departure warning, just blind spot detection/warning. I’m with you on that one. I rented a Camry once with it and I didn’t drive it long enough to make friends with it but I didn’t care for it much. Turned it off with the press of a button. I can see how it could possibly be beneficial in some situations, but I still didn’t like it. I’m not sure if that makes me Luddite Adjacent.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T