Sponsored

Running wire from battery to trunk

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JIMBOX

I hear ya.. Reality is, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't so to speak. Regardless of how you do things there is always a chance of...

I do know that running a single wire(s) under a Wrangler that is going to be traversing ground other then say the local mall is not a great way to go.

Best bet is in the frame rail for an under the Wrangler install as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, if the OP is planning on lots of water crossings, lots of mud and such he might just want to run such wires inside. Anyway, his choice.. Guess we are all just offering him ideas.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, man ain't that the truth--

All we can do is try to make our jeeps a little better than "THEY" did--

Have a great day
JIMBO

OP
OP
BSw

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
@JIMBOX

I hear ya.. Reality is, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't so to speak. Regardless of how you do things there is always a chance of...

I do know that running a single wire(s) under a Wrangler that is going to be traversing ground other then say the local mall is not a great way to go.

Best bet is in the frame rail for an under the Wrangler install as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, if the OP is planning on lots of water crossings, lots of mud and such he might just want to run such wires inside. Anyway, his choice.. Guess we are all just offering him ideas.
Thanks for all your input, First attempt will be running it through the passenger firewall along side the doors to the back
Since I need the wire just behind the rear seat, that seems to be the easiest way

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
@JIMBOX

I ran my compressor wiring on top of the drivers frame. I attached some points with zip ties to existing wires or tubes in heat wrap. I can confirm all the zip ties that went around the frame are gone. Wiring is still ok but it needs some TLC... lol.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Glad I run into this thread. I’ve been procrastinating getting my winch wiring to the back of the Jeep. The idea of going inside the frame is great. Thanks guys.
And hidden here in this thread I am going to say it: winches are overrated and 90% looks. :giggle:
I’ve had winches in my trucks and SUVs all my life, and the truth is that when I really needed one, it was useless. Most of the time I want to get get BACK from the mess I made, not get further into it. Then there is the only tree on the side of the jeep :facepalm:
Last time I got stuck, well, my son was driving, went to make a u turn in a rural road, ditch was covered in snow, looked flat, and off we went. The more we tried the further the jeep went in the ditch. Open farmlands all around, not even an electric post. A lady driving a sedan stopped, and came out with a bag of kitty litter :facepalm:, she said : my husband says this will get you out if stuck in the snow :movember:
Still, I am running the wiring to the back.

Sponsored

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
Does anyone know if a thicker 1/0 gauge wire will fit through the passenger firewall grommet?

OP
OP
BSw

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
Does anyone know if a thicker 1/0 gauge wire will fit through the passenger firewall grommet?
We have a rubicon and that grommet was used for a giant wire loom, managed to fit a 8g wire through but that was not simple, taking of the fender on the other hand was very easy

JayhawkJeeper

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
I'm late to this party. Installing Alpine subwoofer/tweeter upgrade. Subwoofer has to be wired from the battery. So I'm trying to fish the power line down alongside the frame of the vehicle to come up through the plug hole under the passenger's seat. Guys here are saying it's easy, and I just don't see how. I've tried about half a dozen times and even used fishing tape. Looks like there's a hole for it, but not matter how much try I just can't get the fishing tape to go very far before I start hitting resistance. Am I in the wrong hole? (Wouldn't be the first time. Wah-wah.)

Wheezy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Sorry, dumb question and posted elsewhere about this topic.

Is there an opening on the passenger side frame rail that's better to use than another?

I was looking at the giant "inspection" hole in the wheel well area but thought maybe there's a better hole on top of the frame rail I'm not seeing that would work.

My thread looking for help: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-battery-to-trunk-through-frame-ground.63514/
Sponsored