Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
yes, Rubicon gets it name from the ability to do the Rubicon trail stock.
yes it can just as the bronco did but they will receive damage. No way I know of around it. The bottom will be beat and best, the fenders will be scratched or pulled off and strong possibility of the rails getting pushed into the body or body damage.

brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Can it be bypassed, or do you have to go through it?
this isn’t much of an obstacle compared to what the rest of the trail has to offer. Like mentioned, it doesn’t even really have a name.

brett

Last edited:
OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
I was thinking about trying to do the Rubicon in my stock JLR, but seeing the Bronco really struggling to make it up that obstacle, and with larger 35" tires, now I'm not too sure. Although the Broncos with smaller 33" tires actually seem to make it up much easier so perhaps smaller tires was actually advantageous in this case.
35" tires:

33" tires:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I was thinking about trying to do the Rubicon in my stock JLR, but seeing the Bronco really struggling to make it up that obstacle, and with larger 35" tires, now I'm not too sure. Although the Broncos with smaller 33" tires actually seem to make it up much easier so perhaps smaller tires was actually advantageous in this case.
35" tires:

33" tires:
I'd like to run it but I'll say if you watch some of the original JL/JLU videos, the JL did better in the Rubicon vs the 4 door from what I saw. Also a 2.5" lift and 35" tires made night and day difference from stock (but they all got beat to shit). From what I was told, the Rubicon has gotten significantly more challenging from years ago. I would be hesitant to do it even in my JLU with 3 1/2" of lift on 37's and lots of armor without an experienced spotter. I would do it in a heartbeat in my JK but that's on 42's. I'm not sure how the ratings carry over (maybe not at all) but it seemed significantly more challenging than most of what you find on the popular trails in Moab.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Can it be bypassed, or do you have to go through it?

You have to go through it. It’s the Rubicon trail. Expect a challenge even on the easier lines, this isn’t a fire road with offshoots and there’s a reason why most people only run 1.5-2 miles per day. It isn’t impossible but it’s not a cake walk either. Not sure I would run it in a 4 door rubicon without a lift and tires.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
@jlopes68 has done the rubicon when his JLR was stock and might be able to toss in some more useful input, but he also went up when BFG was running a press event for the KM3 release so the trail had been groomed a bit more than usual.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
@jlopes68 has done the rubicon when his JLR was stock and might be able to toss in some more useful input, but he also went up when BFG was running a press event for the KM3 release so the trail had been groomed a bit more than usual.
Wow, that's impressive driver skill if that's the case and done without damage.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I have done the Rubicon trail many times is several different 4X4s starting as far back as 1997 with my first TJ on 33s” to LandRover Discoveries on 32s” to stock JKUs to fully built up rigs and know for a fact it can be done by a stock JL/U Rubicon on 33” tires. You will need a good spotter and good driving skills, you will scrape your cross members, you will scratch your rims and it would be highly advisable to take the “JeepJamboree USA”’ bypasses, but it can be done with no body damage.

Would I run my 2020 JLUR as it sits as of the writing of this with no lift but with 35s? If I had too yes, but otherwise no. Still getting over the sticker shock......LoL

Last edited:

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's impressive driver skill if that's the case and done without damage.
now add in that i did it with my ol lady and she was in her '07 JK, talk about a challenge! LOL we have completed it 4 times, twice with just the two of us. it can be done. is it easy? not at all. trail is in rough shape this season, i would not recommend it stock (on 33's, like i did in '18) unless you are very experienced. of course im one to equate huge tires with lack of skill. that being said, we are both now on 35's in two doors, the ol timers will say, "but, those tires are HUGE!" LOL

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
stock vs built

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
Problem is the trail changes every year and some years its much easier than others. What gets people damage isn't so much the 1 obstacle that they come to its the unrelenting obstacle's that you encounter and doesn't make a difference what your driving when you get tired after wheeling the Con for hours on end its easy to loose concentration and get into trouble.

Having a lifted build rig on 40's just helps you the days you do something stupid so the damage is slight compared to a stock rig.
Sponsored