Sponsored

2022 Jeepers Jamboree Rubicon Trail

Deleted member 59098

Russell , It's pretty much impossible nowdays to run the Rubicon alone in the summer. There is always folks on it, weekdays and weekends. IMHO the trail is over crowed. Try a Jamboree thats less popular.
If you want the Rubicon experience without all the folks or the 2 day grind. Check out the Slick Rock Jeep trail off hwy 4 near Lake Alpine... https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...3777ffd7740c9!8m2!3d38.4451895!4d-120.0126855
Typically a 1 day or less trail but its so nice you might want to camp, as many do. Weekdays I usally have the place to myself. There are videos on YouTube that show a couple areas that are much tougher than the majority of the trail. Overall I rate it as a better run than the Rubicon, all the beauty, less traffic and not so much of the required endurance aspect. A stock Rubicon can handle it but more ground clearance and tires is always the preferred approach for running the granite trails of the Sierra's.
Better yet, Another easier trail thats fun to run stock is Strawberry Pass OHV trail from HWY 50, Strawberry Creek to Caples Lake, Hwy 88 . But again you might not see anyone else if you break down or can't self recover on weekdays. Weekends stock 4 bys of all sorts run it either direction. It's an easy loop from Carson City too.
Anyway, there are very fun trails near you that don't require much more than a stock Rubicon with a winch is what I'm saying.
How's Strawberry after Caldor?
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Russell , It's pretty much impossible nowdays to run the Rubicon alone in the summer. There is always folks on it, weekdays and weekends. IMHO the trail is over crowed. Try a Jamboree thats less popular.
If you want the Rubicon experience without all the folks or the 2 day grind. Check out the Slick Rock Jeep trail off hwy 4 near Lake Alpine... https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...3777ffd7740c9!8m2!3d38.4451895!4d-120.0126855
Typically a 1 day or less trail but its so nice you might want to camp, as many do. Weekdays I usally have the place to myself. There are videos on YouTube that show a couple areas that are much tougher than the majority of the trail. Overall I rate it as a better run than the Rubicon, all the beauty, less traffic and not so much of the required endurance aspect. A stock Rubicon can handle it but more ground clearance and tires is always the preferred approach for running the granite trails of the Sierra's.
Better yet, Another easier trail thats fun to run stock is Strawberry Pass OHV trail from HWY 50, Strawberry Creek to Caples Lake, Hwy 88 . But again you might not see anyone else if you break down or can't self recover on weekdays. Weekends stock 4 bys of all sorts run it either direction. It's an easy loop from Carson City too.
Anyway, there are very fun trails near you that don't require much more than a stock Rubicon with a winch is what I'm saying.
+1 on Slick Rock. It’s beautiful!
IMG_3921-X3.jpg

Buckeroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubicon Recon 2017
37s!! for JJUSA. unbelievable. So now some guy who's desperate to do it is going to throw some used 37s on his JKU sport with dana 30s and a 3 in puck lift and call it good. Well, JJUSA, good luck with all those broken axles and bent housings. what has been achieved? And Jeep's message here? They've lost sight of their whole mission.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You can't possibly throw a $150 2" spacer lift, 37's on stock wheels, and a $150 spare tire relocation bracket on and go wheel... except we did just that before our first ever Moab trip last year. Hell's Revenge, Fins, top of the world, poison spider/golden spike/gold bar rim all within 2 days of the driveway installed spacer kit and 1,100 mile drive to get there. Factoring in the cost of tires is misleading, when the OP is planning new 35's anyway. The difference between a new 35 and 37 is more like$40-50/ tire. For a couple hundred dollars more than going to 35's, you absolutely can go to 37's if you want to.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 Jeepers Jamboree Rubicon Trail 20200828_112716

Buckeroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubicon Recon 2017
Of course you can. Hell, you could get away with 40's for a couple of trips to Moab. Especially if you've got dana 44's. I didn't say you couldn't. but over time a poorly built rig with 37's is going to unpredictably have breaks due to metal fatigue (i.e.. even when you're taking it easy on the skinny pedal). My issue with JJUSA is that this will encourage folks to just throw 37's on without really doing the proper mods that will keep their rigs capable AND durable. It's also just completely unnecessary and overkill. BTW, in 2018 they were showing off stock JLU's on 33's and saying how easily they could handle the Rubicon. What a bunch of BS.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I ran my first JJUSA over the Rubicon trail in 1997 with my TJ on a 2.5” lift, 32” tires and open differentials. Over the years I have run it several more times (with JJUSA and others) in both my TJs and my JKU on 35” tires. I was thinking hard about doing the JJUSA once again over the Rubicon for old times sake.

The price kinda shocked me its gotten expensive, then this years new requirement for 37” tires? Sorry I am not going to run 37” tires simply to attend a JJUSA event (fun though they are) when I fully know they are not needed for the level of trails they run. I gotta live with my Jeep as a DD and then some. 37” tires although cool looking are a bit overkill for me, I will stick to my well proven and more then capable 35” tires.

I am wondering if something dramatically changed with the relationship between JJUSA and Jeep. Because as it stands no “stock” Rubicon, 392 or XR is eligible this year. That kinda goes against Jeep’s involvement (partnership) that any “trail rated” Wrangler is eligible. Could it be Jeep is pulling away from JJUSA after working with them for decades? If so JJUSA is playing it safe to limit liability?

If Jeep is working with JJUSA on this event are they saying 37” tires are an officially approved size now, because Jeep has only stated officially that 35” tires are the largest approved tire size for the Wrangler, Rubicon models in particular. I see some warranty denials becoming questionable if so.

I suspect its all about limiting liability, reducing costs and issues with inexperienced people damaging their expensive stock Jeeps. 37” tires and by default the lifts needed to accommodate them will (I am guessing) in JJUSA thinking tend to weed out less experienced people and draw in more serious off roading types. Plus JJUSA will not have to “prep the trail” to make it “safer” aka move rocks around and thus save a bunch of money and time.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Of course you can. Hell, you could get away with 40's for a couple of trips to Moab. Especially if you've got dana 44's. I didn't say you couldn't. but over time a poorly built rig with 37's is going to unpredictably have breaks due to metal fatigue (i.e.. even when you're taking it easy on the skinny pedal). My issue with JJUSA is that this will encourage folks to just throw 37's on without really doing the proper mods that will keep their rigs capable AND durable. It's also just completely unnecessary and overkill. BTW, in 2018 they were showing off stock JLU's on 33's and saying how easily they could handle the Rubicon. What a bunch of BS.
I fully agree that requiring 37's for the Rubicon trail is ridiculous. We've run it in a WJ on 31's (later trips in the same rig on 35's were far more enjoyable). I'm still trying to figure out which metal is fatigued and failing on our JLUR from the 37's after 30k+ miles, well over 3k off road miles, and hundreds of trails though? We just replaced the stock ball joints, but 45k miles is a decent service life on 33's so I'd hardly blame the tires? Obviously bigger tires will accelerate wear on service items, but the idea that a full kit replaces anything that a spacer lift leaves to fail is simply false. Have you ever seen a factory spring fail? Sure if you go full bouncer into a rock, you're likely to break something, but odds are that's still going to happen if you go with the OP's described $5-6k build as axle shafts are likely the 1st thing to go, followed by thre housing.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 Jeepers Jamboree Rubicon Trail 20210919_120353

OP
OP
Iggy

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I'm very excited about getting in with Jeepers Jamboree in July for the 3-day event. The ASFIR engine/trans aluminum skid plate is installed, I'm using take off steel wheels from a Sport to mount some Cooper Evolution 35s on, I'm packing my tent, sleeping bag, pad, a chair ,and am getting some Fishbone sliders. Totally thrilled!

It would have nice to be able to go on the JJUSA run, but their requirements are unnecessarily too rigid for me.

Thanks for all the comments, support and encouragement!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'm very excited about getting in with Jeepers Jamboree in July for the 3-day event. The ASFIR engine/trans aluminum skid plate is installed, I'm using take off steel wheels from a Sport to mount some Cooper Evolution 35s on, I'm packing my tent, sleeping bag, pad, a chair ,and am getting some Fishbone sliders. Totally thrilled!

It would have nice to be able to go on the JJUSA run, but their requirements are unnecessarily too rigid for me.

Thanks for all the comments, support and encouragement!
Since your skidding up, consider a steering stabilizer relocation kit. Should be able to find one for $100 or so, and you’ll know why I recommend it if you look at the lowest hanging thing on your front axle.

OP
OP
Iggy

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Since your skidding up, consider a steering stabilizer relocation kit. Should be able to find one for $100 or so, and you’ll know why I recommend it if you look at the lowest hanging thing on your front axle.
Thanks for reminding me, Matt. On your suggestion, I bought a Synergy stabilizer relocation kit for $80. That's going on when it warms up.

Sponsored

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Register starting on 12/7/21 at 11:00AM for the Rubicon Trail.

The clincher for me is the cost. $595 per person with a 2-person minimum...
Then, be sure to wear 37" to 40" tires on your JL - that's all they accept - no 33", no 35". As you all know, 35" will fit with no modifications, but that's not good enough for the Jeepers Jamboree. Nope. They also require a transmission, transfer case and fuel tank metal skid plate.

For those of you, like me, who have to budget for the additional costs, it looks like this:

5 new M/T or BFG 37" tires at $335 each = $1,675
5 new 17x8.5 wheels (cheap) at $185 each = $925
5 Mount and balance at $30 each = $150
1 new ASFIR aluminum engine/trans skid plate = $355 delivered
1 new Dynatrac kit to raise the Jeep 2" to clear the new tires = $1,495 w shocks
1 new Synergy front track bar, tie rod and steering damper to tame the added weight of 37" tires and wheels = $700
1 alignment = $110
Sales tax = $165
Not counting any added labor to install the suspension

TOTAL: $5,575 in required parts (done right - suitable for a $52k Jeep)
$5,575 to run 37" tires even though RUBICON is emblazoned across both sides of my hood, plus​
$1,190 entry fee for 2 people even if there's just me​

$6,765 to run the Rubicon Trail. By myself. In a 2021 "Trail Rated" RUBICON.

I simply don't have that kind of money sitting around for a 3-day trip. Besides, I really don't want 37" tires...
Jeepers Jamboree is not affiliated with Jeep and they are a private organization that can set the rules. Jeep Jamboree USA does not have those requirements if your looking for a Rubicon trip check out Jeep Jamboree USA

OP
OP
Iggy

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Jeepers Jamboree is not affiliated with Jeep and they are a private organization that can set the rules. Jeep Jamboree USA does not have those requirements if your looking for a Rubicon trip check out Jeep Jamboree USA
The reason I am not going on the Jeep Jamboree USA is principally because of their 37" tire requirement:

2022 Rubicon Trail Special Requirements
All Jeep vehicles shall adhere to the following requirements for the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree.​
• A minimum of 37” tires. (not to exceed 40”)​
• Front and rear lockers​
• Properly secured tow points​
• Skid plates covering the gas tank, transfer case and rocker panels​
• Any Jeep Wrangler JK Model with a stock factory rear axle is required to install an upgraded rear cover and/or a rear glide plate. The following links show examples of the required equipment. Rancho RockGEAR™ Rear Differential Glide Plate www.quadratec.com/products/16238_10XX_C_PG.htm Rancho RockGEAR™ Dana 44 Differential Cover www.quadratec.com/products/16238_120_07.htm
The front and rear lockers means only heavily modified non-Rubicon models can play. Basically, it has become a commercialized boiler plate snob party. Only the best modified Jeeps can play.

Well, 40 years ago, I wanted to tackle the Rubicon but didn't have a CJ capable of the trek. Now I have a 2021 2-door Rubicon and Jeep USA says I must modify it even more to qualify for their run. Jeep couldn't fix the lousy steering on my 2018 JLU but now they say I have to run 37s (and all the stuff needed to do that properly) to go on their run. Phooey! I'm going on the ol' Jeepers Jamboree where they still love regular Jeepers like me.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I'm with you 100% Russell. Some of these these group get togethers are ridiculous. Requiring large wheels and modifications to join an advanced rock crawling session is stupid and just shows the idiocy of the trail boss who is making the requirements.

It should be more on driver skill and having basic recovery repair gear/tools than wheel size and aftermarket protection.

I will assure you that a rig that meets all the "Jamboree Requirements" with a driver such as myself (zero off road skill in a 4wd) is going to disappoint the rest of the group and possibly get wadded up.

OTOH, a bone stock Rubicon with a capable driver behind the wheel is going to have no issues navigating anything the modified vehicles can.

When we go on group rides on advanced single track we pick out very difficult obstacles at the beginning to determine whether or not who wants to do the ride. We do not mind helping out an inexperienced rider. A lot of the guys just turn back no harm no foul.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
It's a good thing that these goofball organizers of this group are making these rules though. It just shows how jacked up they are. So it makes the decision an easy one not to even consider going.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Those are absurd requirements. Countless stock and mildly modified Rubicons have run that trail for years. I'm thinking that they just want to cater to the "more serious" crowd to cut down on the number of potential recoveries or other mishaps. IIRC, previous years only allowed "up to" 37" tires, not "at least".
Even I remember 33's being the hottest thing in town...What they don't put on that list is patience, staying focused, helping each other...corny maybe, just sayin!
Sponsored