Rubicon locker switch

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
So I’m putting in the rubicon axles in my Sahara and I was wanting to run the stock rubicon locker switch. Is there a way to run this or am I going to have to wire up the lockers another way? Also is the wire harness to connect this already in the Jeep or do I need to purchase a harness myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A42E75BB-7E28-406D-9D7F-313CF122D2E9.jpeg
Sponsored

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I may be wrong but i've been researching the same and have come to the conclusion that it either can't be done or would be very difficult and have to include a dealer flash to do. I've decided to wire them to my aux switches. As much as i'd like the clean setup of using the rubicon switches, I like that i don't have to worry about the sensor issues, etc... that some of the rubicons have with their lockers.

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
I may be wrong but i've been researching the same and have come to the conclusion that it either can't be done or would be very difficult and have to include a dealer flash to do. I've decided to wire them to my aux switches. As much as i'd like the clean setup of using the rubicon switches, I like that i don't have to worry about the sensor issues, etc... that some of the rubicons have with their lockers.
I have the superchip tuner that allows me to flash my Jeep so it will see that it has lockers on it so I won’t need to have the dealership involved. But I’be been trying to find the wiring harnesses for the axles themselves but just keep getting the one with two wires. I don’t want to pay $60+ bucks per harness for something that will cost me $10 for both if I make my own. If I can’t get the switch to work I’ll just end up using the aux switches

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, i've heard those are tough to get. I was hoping i could use the 2 wire harness and wire up the switch so it was basically just a switch without all the extra stuff.

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I’be been trying to find the wiring harnesses for the axles themselves but just keep getting the one with two wires.
Any luck finding the 4-wire harness? How'd you end up wiring your lockers?

Sponsored

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up finding a connector that BMW uses and just power and ground to a switch panel.
Oh, nice! I'm with you... $60x2 for those harnesses is plain silly. Where'd you end up getting the connector (or is there a name for that type of connector I could google for?)

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Oh, nice! I'm with you... $60x2 for those harnesses is plain silly. Where'd you end up getting the connector (or is there a name for that type of connector I could google for?)
Yeah that’s a SOLID pass just for two connectors lol here’s the part numbers for everything you’ll need.

E834B469-3F76-4684-919B-75C7599D7722.jpeg

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Don't forget plugs for the open cavities, won't be waterproof without them.
Gregj

eta I repurposed connectors leftover from the door harnesses after the Proximity install, just had to dremel off one key ridge.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I looked for that connector in the other thread and it is nearly as expensive as the harness from Quadratec.
Gregj

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
When I installed Rubicon axles under my sport, I used a VO switch. Super easy to install, gives you eight relays for future upgrades, and looks close enough to factory that I’m happy

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Built my own and it worked great. If anyone wants to do this by ordering online, here are some useful links:
* Socket housing: 1 per wiring harness
* Bushing contacts: 2 per wiring harness
* Rubber grommet: min 2 per wiring harness, though I got 4 and applied some super glue to seal unused socket housing holes
* 18AWG wire: some 30ft should be enough (will depend on 2/4 door, how you run the wires, lift kit, etc.)
* Wire conduit: 30ft should be enough

Came down to $50 for both, with 1, 2, and 3 being $30 (incl. taxes and shipping).
store.mopar.com for my dealership has them at $67.20 + taxes each, so I saved about $80 (which after spending $4k in two brand new axles is uh... negligible 🙃)

wrt to the socket housing, couldn't find a place where I could buy the OEM one where it didn't have bulk order requirements (min 20-100 units). It's part 805-122-542 by Hirschmann, in case anyone has better luck.

For wiring reference, here's the pin information for front and rear (they're the same) or just check OP's photo a couple posts above. You only need pins 1 (supply) and 4 (ground).

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon locker switch 1629427656908
Sponsored

Last edited: