Rough ride?

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Please excuse my Jeep noob question, is it normal for these to ride a lil rough on the highway? I have all my stoccker rubi tires set to 38 psi. As a side note I have a missing upper sway bar bolt that has worn away at my say bar (getting replaced in a week or so) but I’m having a hard time telling if I have tire vibes or it’s just the road being a lil rough.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
It's a solid axle truck with giant tires and the aerodynamics of a billboard - it's normal for it to ride a bit rough with high speed on road situations especially if you're used to something like a Golf R. I find mine rode well stock coming from an Audi S5 in 2018 and after a lift and some better shocks it got even better due to the cushier suspension and softer dampening.

That being said, it should ride smooth down the road if there's no cracks, potholes, or bumps. Missing a sway bar bolt at speed will cause it to handle differently at speed and you could probably afford to lose a couple more pounds of air in the tires. Give 34-35psi a shot and see if it feels any better. Every tire has a different sweet spot for full contact patch and optimal ride quality. I'd reserve judgement till you get the sway bar resolved though. Tires could be out of balance if you're getting constant vibration.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
It's a solid axle truck with giant tires and the aerodynamics of a billboard - it's normal for it to ride a bit rough with high speed on road situations especially if you're used to something like a Golf R. I find mine rode well stock coming from an Audi S5 in 2018 and after a lift and some better shocks it got even better due to the cushier suspension and softer dampening.

That being said, it should ride smooth down the road if there's no cracks, potholes, or bumps. Missing a sway bar bolt at speed will cause it to handle differently at speed and you could probably afford to lose a couple more pounds of air in the tires. Give 34-35psi a shot and see if it feels any better. Every tire has a different sweet spot for full contact patch and optimal ride quality. I'd reserve judgement till you get the sway bar resolved though. Tires could be out of balance if you're getting constant vibration.
Sadly the tpms light will be on if you drop the pressures much. Mine wants 37, which is too much. I would love to drop 5 lbs off of that but I would have to get a tuner to turn the warning off.

We went from a Golf R to a 2 dr Rubicon. I don't think it rides too bad. Steers like crap compared to the car but the ride seems acceptable for a body on frame truck with solid axles and big tires, as mentioned. Rides better than my F-250...

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Sadly the tpms light will be on if you drop the pressures much. Mine wants 37, which is too much. I would love to drop 5 lbs off of that but I would have to get a tuner to turn the warning off.

We went from a Golf R to a 2 dr Rubicon. I don't think it rides too bad. Steers like crap compared to the car but the ride seems acceptable for a body on frame truck with solid axles and big tires, as mentioned. Rides better than my F-250...
Forgot about the pressure warning. I'm spoiled having a Tazer after my regear haha.

I had a BMW 135i, then an Audi S5 before selling for a JLR and I agree - my 2 door Rubicon drives awesome for what it is. The 8 speed/3.6 combo is lightning quick in to shift in manual mode like the VW/Audi DSG transmissions also.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited

Get OBDJscan. Bypass wired, ObD2 bluetooth '$75 for all. Will change your tire pressure settings and much more.

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Like others have said Tazer here or Jscan I am sure many other options. 5 - 10 psi can make a huge difference. Live with the warning ⚠ light and see how it rides to see if a programmer is your solution.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
As noted, lower tire pressure will help, but a short wheelbase, solid axle truck with big heavy tires is NOT going to ride smoothly. Nature of the beast.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Please excuse my Jeep noob question, is it normal for these to ride a lil rough on the highway? I have all my stoccker rubi tires set to 38 psi. As a side note I have a missing upper sway bar bolt that has worn away at my say bar (getting replaced in a week or so) but I’m having a hard time telling if I have tire vibes or it’s just the road being a lil rough.
Bouncy and Rolling is one thing..... Rough is another. No JLs don't normally ride rough. Drive a TJ and you will know exactly what a rough ride feels like.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also since you have a stock Rubicon your caster will be too low, this will make it prone to wander off center at higher speeds. If you don't plan to lift your Rubicon then adding the longer Mopar lift LCAs will get your caster in the 6 degree range which will have you tracking nice & straight at hwy speeds, best $80 you can spend IMO. I can keep my 2dr running down the hwy w/ one finger on the wheel (unless there's heavy cross wind, then it's a white knuckle death grip) :)
Here's a couple links for those LCAs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
38 PSI is higher than recommended, 37 is recommended by the manufacturer per the sticker inside the driver side door opening.

I ran my stock tires at 34, and they easily heat up in the summer to 37-38 PSI.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Bouncy and Rolling is one thing..... Rough is another. No JLs don't normally ride rough. Drive a TJ and you will know exactly what a rough ride feels like.
Lol, try a YJ. 55 mph is a flying by the seat of your pants thrill ride. My YJ saved me a lot of speeding tickets in my 20's, there's just no need to speed in one of those.
Sponsored