Sponsored

Rubicon rough test drive due to tires or suspension?

Daveymick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Wrangler... ?
Hi all! I am brand spanking new to this Forum, which I came across through researching the new Jeep I hope to buy in the very near future! I have enjoyed driving Saharas in the past, all solely on road. I test drove both a 2018 Sahara and Rubicon today (not JL) for comparison, and noted the Rubicon felt a lot more sluggish on the road. Both had similar options such as the full tow package and gearing. Am I right in thinking the sluggish feeling is due to the aggressive mud tires that are stock on the Rubi vs the AT tires on the Sahara? Or is this due to different suspension Most of the driving would be on road, however I may have opportunity to purchase a Rubi for close(ish) in Price to a Sahara, and would like to get off road more. Thinking I could possibly switch out Sahara tires and wheels onto the Rubi for a smoother ride... Or stick with the Rubicon factory wheels and change the tires?

Any input would be appreciated! If this is a dumb question it's because I know very little..... lol Thanks!
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The JK Rubicon had Mud Terrain tires and a different suspension. Dealers also have a tendency to overinflate tires which can make the Rubicon feel a little squirrelly. Tires/suspension do make a difference but once people get the Rubicon bug they tend to swap out for things that make the ride worse not better.

The JL Rubicon comes standard with All Terrain tires and they have done other things to improve the ride.

OP
OP

Daveymick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Wrangler... ?
I think I would just leave things stock, however years down the road if I sold it, the rubicon would probably have better resale value. What should one expect from a Rubicon on the road with AT tires in comparison to the Sahara with AT tires?

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Next time you test drive pull up the tire pressure in the computer. They're almost always way too high at the dealer and it makes a big difference. I I had to let out eighteen pounds

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Why is it so hard for dealers to just inflate to the door jam pressure?

Sponsored

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
Hi all! I am brand spanking new to this Forum, which I came across through researching the new Jeep I hope to buy in the very near future! I have enjoyed driving Saharas in the past, all solely on road. I test drove both a 2018 Sahara and Rubicon today (not JL) for comparison, and noted the Rubicon felt a lot more sluggish on the road. Both had similar options such as the full tow package and gearing. Am I right in thinking the sluggish feeling is due to the aggressive mud tires that are stock on the Rubi vs the AT tires on the Sahara? Or is this due to different suspension Most of the driving would be on road, however I may have opportunity to purchase a Rubi for close(ish) in Price to a Sahara, and would like to get off road more. Thinking I could possibly switch out Sahara tires and wheels onto the Rubi for a smoother ride... Or stick with the Rubicon factory wheels and change the tires?

Any input would be appreciated! If this is a dumb question it's because I know very little..... lol Thanks!
Get the Jl Rubicon not that much of difference it’s night and day compared to jk

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
keep in mind that rubicon has slightly larger tires and a deeper gear ratio in the differentials over the sport and sahara which can results in a more sluggish feel when compared side to side. That being said putting stock sahara tires on a rubicon you will not notice a whole lot off difference.

in the regards of the off road abilities the big advantages for the rubicon over the sahara or the sport is the front axle and rear axle (if not lsd optioned) being stronger, plus the lockers, and lower low range in the transfer case. That being said the sahara and the sport will still great off road and a great platform to learn how to drive off road and as the aftermarket parts grow

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
Great tip on the tires. It's supposed to be 37 and on delivery mine was set at 42 (cold).

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
test drove one ruby and one sport.

MY impressions driving the 4 dr ruby with a rag top were:
The motor with an auto was just amazing. Lots of pep, downright fun to drive
very refined ride quality over my 97 TJ Suspension worked great
AC cooled down the big interior pretty quick and it was 110 outside
Traveling down the hiway at 65 wind noise was barely noticeable

Sport hard top:
Motor obviously the same but seemed to scoot better down the road with higher gears then the ruby-interesting
Wind noise at less then 65 was a lot more then the soft top, wasnt ready for that. I want a hard top this time but it has me thinking
Lots of steering inputs, the vehicle seemed to wander vs the ruby. I have heard this prior but I would definately test drive a rig I was buying
AC took a long time to cool the interior. Maybe the hard top holds the heat inside more then a softie

Other observations:
Ive watch vids of guys who actually wheel their rigs. On one he tore one of the two or three cross members off on the belly. I looked underneath the JL and jeep should have there asses kicked for designing such a "sure to be crunched" cross member. Pathetic on what is supposed to be a serious 4wd vehicle. Couldnt believe it. IF and when I buy, for sure something has to be done with it.

Other then that and a few other things this rig is pretty darn nice. I think I may pull the trigger.

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon also has 33s that Sahara doesn't have if I remember correctly. You will NOT regret a Rubicon purchase over a Sahara, and, in my personal experience, upgrading shocks does make a world of difference.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I first purchased a Sahara JLU. Wanted to make mods that were standard on rubi. Ended up trading it in 28days later for a Rubicon JLU. Much happier. Only took small bath on trade in. Have not regretted it once.
Sponsored