Rockslide Engineering Steps Gen 3

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Has anyone installed these steps on their 392? The instructions I got with the steps are tailored to the JL. The videos don't talk about 392 either. Specifically I was wondering how the cable harness is routed from the battery to the cross member. I'm seeing lots of heat tape in that area. Anyone have any inputs or pictures on the routing? Any other 392 specific installation tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Benorozco

First Name
Benjamín
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler 392
I installed amp research power steps I think wiring to the body module is the same let me know if need help

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I installed amp research power steps I think wiring to the body module is the same let me know if need help
Turns out the gen 3 Rockslide steps don't have a "body module"...it's routing the cable from the battery to the cross member on the passenger side that I'm wondering about. Lots of heat in that area.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I think they run a complete standalone harness from what I’ve been seeing in my research.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Interested as to what you find out. Haven’t looked yet, but have a set of RSE step sliders sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Interested as to what you find out. Haven’t looked yet, but have a set of RSE step sliders sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.
The directions are not 392 specific...The harness is giving me problems....should have waited until Monday to install.

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
OK, I feel pretty stupid....I was trying to route the wire harness over the front cross-member...should be routed over the rear cross-member...

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
OK, I feel pretty stupid....I was trying to route the wire harness over the front cross-member...should be routed over the rear cross-member...
Good to hear you got it. Love my gen 3 steps. My favorite mod so far. Already have trail damage on em within two weeks of installing. Btw, I paid someone to install mine $460 here in Denver. Figured if they broke a body mount bolt, they would have to fix it 😂

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Good to hear you got it. Love my gen 3 steps. My favorite mod so far. Already have trail damage on em within two weeks of installing. Btw, I paid someone to install mine $460 here in Denver. Figured if they broke a body mount bolt, they would have to fix it 😂
did the same on my first JL for the exact same reason. This time I’m going to tackle it, hopefully no body mount bolt issues!

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I went with the amp research extremes this time. I had gen 1 RSE and they were great and no issues on my JK but I’m looking for a more refined look this time. I HOPE I’m not kicking myself in the ass after waiting 20 weeks for them. If my 392 XR finally gets here and I have to wait more than a month I might cancel and go back to RSE.

Sponsored

EvilRubi21

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I am trying to run the wire harness on my JL and I am having a hard time getting the wires harness into the engine compartment. Are the wires ran up between the battery and the fender or behind the fuse box?

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
My install took seven hours so I may be to wrong guy to answer, but they are on the 392 and look great. I’ll take a look at the cable routing but I think I just went with it and hoped the heat wouldn’t be an issue. So far so good. I will say I added their slider guards that go over the steps for big rock hits. They do not fit well, would not do those again….

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Has anyone installed these steps on their 392? The instructions I got with the steps are tailored to the JL. The videos don't talk about 392 either. Specifically I was wondering how the cable harness is routed from the battery to the cross member. I'm seeing lots of heat tape in that area. Anyone have any inputs or pictures on the routing? Any other 392 specific installation tips would be appreciated.
Maybe reach out to RSE? I think they now have a 392 in house or access to one. They're great to talk with on the phone.

I love my Gen 3's. I had them on my build for a little over a year and they have been flawless.

-Steven

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
I am trying to run the wire harness on my JL and I am having a hard time getting the wires harness into the engine compartment. Are the wires ran up between the battery and the fender or behind the fuse box?
I ran the wires up near the firewall, which on my 392 is between the battery and the fender. A picture from the top, the thick red wire with the splice headed downward is the RSE power wire. The ground wire I attached to the ground stud near the bottom of the picture.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rockslide Engineering Steps Gen 3 IMG_3118.JPG

A view up from the bottom with the fender liner flexed out of the way. The red RSE power wire is visible next to the underside of the battery tray (beside a sliver of daylight showing from above). Lower you can see the black braid of the RSE harness zip-tied to the JL harness just before it goes over to and on top of the vehicle frame (kind of washed out by the flash, lower right corner of the picture. I used some stiff coat hanger wire to feed through from top to bottom, then taped the harness wires to it and used it to pull them through. Might be a little more crowded with the models with the ESS battery but should be the same idea.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rockslide Engineering Steps Gen 3 IMG_3117.JPG

LF

EvilRubi21

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I ran the wires up near the firewall, which on my 392 is between the battery and the fender. A picture from the top, the thick red wire with the splice headed downward is the RSE power wire. The ground wire I attached to the ground stud near the bottom of the picture.

A view up from the bottom with the fender liner flexed out of the way. The red RSE power wire is visible next to the underside of the battery tray (beside a sliver of daylight showing from above). Lower you can see the black braid of the RSE harness zip-tied to the JL harness just before it goes over to and on top of the vehicle frame (kind of washed out by the flash, lower right corner of the picture. I used some stiff coat hanger wire to feed through from top to bottom, then taped the harness wires to it and used it to pull them through. Might be a little more crowded with the models with the ESS battery but should be the same idea.

LF
My fuse box is behind my battery at the firewall. It doesn't look like there's any space behind the fuse box. I might have to lean my hood open to get a better view.

PXL_20220709_170825095.jpg
Sponsored