Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Just installed the Gen 3 steps on my 392. Wiring is a little different than Gen 2’s and the extra shield plates are installed completely different. Worked thru the instructions and all worked out of the box. My set is definitely quieter and smoother than my Gen 2 steps. Very happy with the steps so far.

BE724DD4-07C8-41FE-AF4F-414A55FF1771.jpeg
Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Also having a small problem with the left side circuit board connection. The plug is fully seated, tab locked, but the slider will sometimes not open. I have to disconnect the plug, reconnect it, the system resets, and it works again. I've been told to pull the fuse to "reset the system" the next time, but curious if anyone else is having similar problems?
For the intermittent issue, I imagine you have checked the magnet position to confirm its siting directly over the sensor when the door is closed right? Does it do that when opening the front or back doors on that side? I used some of those little double sided clear tabs to hold the magnet from moving down the door. I may have not needed those but never have had a problem with that part.

Wasn't too concerned about it but was going to try a couple sprays like wd40 or something to quiet it down.
In an older troubleshooting document it stated that WD40 would void the warranty. That may have been for Gen1 and/or Gen2 but just thought I would point it out.

You would most likely want to use one of their suggestion lubricants. The recommended maintenance is to spray all moving parts at least once a month or whenever you spray them down with water. They tend to pickup stuff from your feet in the winter and the entire underside of the slider will get covered with ice/frozen road crap. You may even have to scrape some of it off before they will deploy. The gas strut that pushes them down is pretty strong though so you might not have that issue.

Install Instructions
Video Library

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues RSE_01

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I can’t believe people are still being scammed into buying these.

I really wish that someone would file a class action or the FTC would take action against them.

It will always be when they fail, not if, and how bad the damage to the vehicle or the person will be when it happens.

Version 3 not working is proof positive that there is no “engineering”. Maybe version 4 or 30. Such a simple product and such a poor and dangerous design.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I received an email from RSE today. Both of us agreed that the slider should be replaced and they are sending me a replacement. Although I have had some problems, it is nice to see a company that stands behind their product like they do. I would suggest if people are having similar issues to reach out to them. They have been very helpful throughout the process.
Any update on your replacement?

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Any update on your replacement?
It's being delivered today actually. I'll need a few days to reinstall. I'm having more issues with electrical now. I've blown a fuse and sometimes have to go every day/other day to pull the fuse to reset the system due you the left that stops functioning.

I'll keep you posted

Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
It's being delivered today actually. I'll need a few days to reinstall. I'm having more issues with electrical now. I've blown a fuse and sometimes have to go every day/other day to pull the fuse to reset the system due you the left that stops functioning.

I'll keep you posted
Mine went over a month without an issue then yesterday it stopped again. Couldn't get it going no matter how many times I pulled the fuse. Then today, pulled the fuse again after driving a bit and it started working. I called RSE this morning and they have shipped out new sensors for the first attempt.

Looking forward to hearing if your replacement fixes it for good (only time will tell). I would think they could've tracked down the issue by now and implemented a fix. Unless you and I are the only ones with the issue (which I seriously doubt). Of course, the tech I talked to gave no indication that they've seen this before.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
RSE sent me new sensors and a motor/circuit board to replace. I swapped out the sensors and tested the step 20-30 times in the driveway. Worked perfectly every time. Went to go to the store 24 hours later and it didn't work. Going to replace the motor/circuit board this weekend. That's gotta be it.
BTW, a little lubrication on both steps totally took care of the creeking and groaning noises.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Long story short: I replaced the motor/circuit board assembly and it has been working ever since. The RSE support has been really good and got the parts out to me quickly. Even overnighted one to me.

Sponsored

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
It wouldn't ever feel right to me to buy a brand new product and have to start troubleshooting right off the bat. Unfortunately such issues happen quite often these days. Electrical, mechanical, design, manufacturing... once upon a time products were rigorously tested before they made market, nowadays consumer is the beta tester....

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
It wouldn't ever feel right to me to buy a brand new product and have to start troubleshooting right off the bat. Unfortunately such issues happen quite often these days. Electrical, mechanical, design, manufacturing... once upon a time products were rigorously tested before they made market, nowadays consumer is the beta tester....

Unfortunately, you are correct in most cases. It seems to me, many companies that produce our Jeep parts are smaller companies that don't have the resources for a lot of QA testing so more sub-standard items get to us, the consumer. I've worked in manufacturing in the past and realize it does take a lot of resources to ensure good quality. I also like to think that you often get what you pay for. However, as you point out, this is not always the case these days.

GA_Jeep

First Name
Winn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
So here is my story:
Ordered in June, received in mid October.
Installed and one side worked one side did not. The passenger side would cycle for calibration when fuse was inserted, but not with the door magnets.
Tested all four sensors on the side that worked and they all seemed functional.
Contacted RSE and they had me try a couple of things and determined I needed a new circuit board/motor.
5 weeks later finally receive the replacement parts.
Removed passenger step and replaced circuit/board and motor.(what a pita)
Replaced step and now neither would work????
Called RSE and they had me do a double reset. (remove and replace fuse twice in a row quickly)
Steps started working and I thought all was good.
Next time I get in the jeep the drivers side will not work.
Tried the reset and it worked. (for about 15 min)
Called RSE again.
It is now December. I still have steps that don't work and I have to remove and replace parts again. (waiting on parts)

I have spent so much time on these steps that I could have done many other projects on my Jeep. I am tired of replacing parts and if this doesn't fix the issues I will be asking for a refund. At this point I would not recommend if they were half the price.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Dang. That is the worst experience reported here so far. Obviously, they have an issue with the quality of the circuit boards in the motors. It is definitely a PITA to replace those things. Hopefully you'll get the driver's side done and not have any more issues.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for posting folks. Wow, I was ready to order a pair. Pass
Sponsored