Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2 Door, 2008 JK Sport 2 Door
Except every other 3.5 JLU is reporting an inch higher than mine at every angle. From ground to frame in middle, from ground to spring perch in front, from ground to rear body mount, from axle to spring perch, from axle to fender, and on and on and on
Just a thought here but wouldnt the height be greater on those other builds in places like ground to frame, ground to rear body mount etc be the result of you running smaller tires than they are and what the lift is intended for?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just a thought here but wouldnt the height be greater on those other builds in places like ground to frame, ground to rear body mount etc be the result of you running smaller tires than they are and what the lift is intended for?
They would, if the other JLs were running larger tires. They are running 35s just as I am. Even 35s have different measurements, though, which is why measurements were taken from axle to perch, seat to perch, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Not a big deal, going to take the muffler off anyway. Contacts too many rocks.for my liking
Hey bud, can you tell us how many of the bump stop pucks you are running in the rear? In the instructions we recommend 3 for 3.5" lifts. Let us know.

OP
OP

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
None, because the kit came with none. My failure for not looking over the entire kit and realize it didn't come with bumpstops.

To my defense, it says 3 inch bump stops are recommended for 37" tires, I'm running 35s.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Some level of bump stop is required of course. We always put them in with our shocks because we know 100% what height is required with them. The bump stops in the rear should completely eliminate the interference you are showing as that is how we designed the kits.

Can you tell us the compressed and extended lengths of the shocks you are using as well?

OP
OP

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Some level of bump stop is required of course. We always put them in with our shocks because we know 100% what height is required with them. The bump stops in the rear should completely eliminate the interference you are showing as that is how we designed the kits.

Can you tell us the compressed and extended lengths of the shocks you are using as well?
I'm asking Doug. I know that the stock bumpstops hit before the shocks fully compress, if that's any indication.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Bump stops will be required for sure bud. The lowest we use is 2" in the rear for 2.5 lift heights. We will make our wording a little "stronger" in the instructions.

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
I am guessing those are the extended numbers? How about the collapsed? We do recommend 3" bump stops in the rear of that system. 2" for the 2.5.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Here is our recommendations. You are coming up a little short on both ends, but we understand based on what is out there currently. We are dealing with the same issues with our twin tube supplier. Our 2.25 will be made very closely to our specs.

Generic Front Shock Length – 18-19” Collapsed/ 30” Extended
Generic Rear Shock Length - 20-21” Collapsed/ 32” Extended

We designed the rear with the track bar bracket first and then the rear track bar to further improve the roll center so heads don't wobble like bobble head dolls in the back seats... When we come out with the high steer in the front we will of course do the same approach.

RK

OP
OP

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Bit of an update:

Hit up the CTI yesterday. Removed exhaust to prevent the rear trackbar from hitting. Also, I dropped the rear sway bar links by about an inch because they push into the frame at flex.

Without bumpstops, the RK kit scored an 840. With bumpstops, obviously this score would be lower.

A few notable things to point out:
With a stock rubicon, I'm at about 3.2 inches lifted
At full flex the front driveshaft does not hit the crossmember. It does, however, hit the exhaust enough to put downward pressure on it. The amount of pressure it placed was enough that an Adam's would still contact the exhaust.

The rear swaybar STILL makes contact with the frame. I'm going to adjust the links lower, but it may look like I'll need to get bracket spacers.

While the CTI was going, there was a very audible bang on the passenger side. Upon investigating, it turns out the front passenger spring caught the edge of the frame and started compressing under it. Finally gave out after the trailer flexed it a bit more.

The shocks were quite a bit into the frame, creating a nice curve along the shaft. No permenant damage was done to the shock.

The draglink, although flexed, did not seem to be under extreme stress.

With 2" bumpstops the estimated score would probably be around a 770-780.

For comparison, my buddy in a JK with 2" bumpstops, MC 3.5 springs and rocksport shocks, Currie lower adjustable control arms, and stock uppers scored an 830 without deflating his tires. Granted a JK isn't a JL, but a JL is supposed to be superior. For having a fraction of the cost into his piecemeal kit, he scored just as well.

Another guy with no lift and 38s scored a 600. Pics attached of all 3

FB_IMG_1532523404421.jpg

FB_IMG_1532523303710.jpg

20180724_175942.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: