Sponsored

ROCK HARD 4X4 Front Control arm skids.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Should the bolts on the front LCAs torque to 190? I think I remember a lower torque value in the RH instructions, which surprised me (I could misremember things...).
Sponsored

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Should the bolts on the front LCAs torque to 190? I think I remember a lower torque value in the RH instructions, which surprised me (I could misremember things...).
Instruction said 100 and it started creaking on the second day. Now it is at close to the proper 190, but I have a feeling its too much for the bolts. I'll find out more tomorrow when I remove them.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Instruction said 100 and it started creaking on the second day. Now it is at close to the proper 190, but I have a feeling its too much for the bolts. I'll find out more tomorrow when I remove them.
Hmm... It would be interesting to hear from RockHard why the difference in torque values. Simply curious...

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Went off road for the first time last weekend, fronts were unscathed but rears got some action. Very glad I installed
Jeep Wrangler JL ROCK HARD 4X4 Front Control arm skids. 20200908_132110

Jeep Wrangler JL ROCK HARD 4X4 Front Control arm skids. 20200908_132123

Note - I still need to flip the shock bolts so not sticking out, on the list, but got lucky this time

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went off road for the first time last weekend, fronts were unscathed but rears got some action. Very glad I installed
Note - I still need to flip the shock bolts so not sticking out, on the list, but got lucky this time
Mine already saw some action too and Im glad I had them. What torque values did you use for front skids?

Sponsored

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I did some more diagnostics this weekend and it turns out the culprit was not control arm bolts but my track bar. So ROCK HARD 4X4 was right. Edited my previous post so I don't confuse anybody and undermine a great product.
Still cant explain how over tightening control arm bolts helped with creaking for a short time, but I guess it was some weird coincidence.
Still it would be nice to know why ROCK HARD 4X4 recommends just 100f/lbs of torque instead of 190.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
I bought the front control arm skids and tried to install them over the weekend. I do have the Mopar longer lower control arms and those were a breeze to put on, but when trying to get these skids on I just could not get the control arm bolt holes to line up. I pushed and pulled the Jeep many times, even tried to lift the front end some. I finally gave up and just put back on the Mopar arms.

I may try again this weekend, but really need some pointers on how to align the bolt holes better. I was able to get a long screw driver in the hole to twist it some to align, but of course when trying to push the bolt through nada :(

Maybe I need to set the e-brake and somehow lock the wheels so the Jeep can't move when undoing the front arms? I did do only 1 at a time. As I mentioned installing the longer Mopar arms were a breeze and took all of 15 minutes.

Ken~

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had a really difficult time as well. Both with getting the skids in place on the brackets and with getting the holes lined up to bolt them on. I don’t remember any particular thing that made it easier, I fought with them a long time. One went on somewhat easier than the other but I don’t remember which side or know why that was.

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I need to set the e-brake and somehow lock the wheels so the Jeep can't move when undoing the front arms?
We set up blocks on the front and rear tires and a very heavy rachet strap on the front and rear axles then tensioned before we started taking stuff apart. This kept everything lined up well. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used ratchet straps to position the axle. Install was more complicated compared to longer arms, but take your time and you'll get there :)

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I bought the front control arm skids and tried to install them over the weekend. I do have the Mopar longer lower control arms and those were a breeze to put on, but when trying to get these skids on I just could not get the control arm bolt holes to line up. I pushed and pulled the Jeep many times, even tried to lift the front end some. I finally gave up and just put back on the Mopar arms.

I may try again this weekend, but really need some pointers on how to align the bolt holes better. I was able to get a long screw driver in the hole to twist it some to align, but of course when trying to push the bolt through nada :(

Maybe I need to set the e-brake and somehow lock the wheels so the Jeep can't move when undoing the front arms? I did do only 1 at a time. As I mentioned installing the longer Mopar arms were a breeze and took all of 15 minutes.

Ken~

Use these, https://www.harborfreight.com/pry-bar-set-3-pc-68339.html?_br_psugg_q=pry+bar

They will give you better leverage to align things once you have the skids on the LCA. You will have to use one arm to lever the pry bar while screwing in the bolt with the other, luckily I have a cordless rachet to make it easier.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Use these, https://www.harborfreight.com/pry-bar-set-3-pc-68339.html?_br_psugg_q=pry+bar

They will give you better leverage to align things once you have the skids on the LCA. You will have to use one arm to lever the pry bar while screwing in the bolt with the other, luckily I have a cordless rachet to make it easier.
Also have someone rock the tire back and forth - that should allow you to pretty easily align the bolt holes. worse case you can place a jack under the Tie rod and use it to swivel the axle

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on doing these with front and rear diff skids. I feel that will fit my and most folks needs.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
At this point think I am going to wait to install them until I get my lift kit. Will then just do everything all at once.

However I will probably pick up a set of those pry-bars as those are way better then trying to use a long flat head screw driver. I thought about doing the ratcheting idea before, but my ratchet straps are pretty weak. I guess I will pick up a set of those as well.

Thanks for all the tips. Maybe if I get bored I will tackle this project before the lift kit.

Thanks,

Ken~
Sponsored