Teraflex Front Control Arm Sport Bracket

JeepFX

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Wrangler
First post, so here we go. Back story. I recently purchased a Jl Rubicon with 4000 miles on it. The Jeep already had a 2.5 inch lift and 20's with 35's. I'm not a fan of 20's on a Jeep, but the Jeep itself was what I was after.. the 20's will ultimately be replaced. Immediately I noticed how rough the Jeep rode, it was significantly rougher than any of my previous lifted vehicles. I attributed this to the 20's and went on driving and enjoying my Jeep. Besides the harsh ride the Jeep had very sensitive steering and seemed to wander all over the road. The wandering and twitchy steering progressively got worse and worse over last 3500 miles. To the point that it was starting to drive me nuts and becoming unsafe! I started reading the forum pages on steering slop, the wandering and the severe bump steer which my Jeep also had btw. Ive also seen that some of the Jeeps have severe vibrations and uncontrollable steering wheel shake, aka death wobble. Luckily my Jeep has not gotten DW or the vibrations. From what I read and gathered, thanks to you guys posting your findings and going through the initial trail and error. I figured my Jeep was lacking enough castor and correcting the castor would be the best place to start, so I ordered the Teraflex Sport Bracket. Spent a few hours Friday putting the bracket on, took it to have the alignment done and spent the rest of the weekend driving around. (my castor now sits and 6.1 and 6.2 degrees) I finally feel confident driving this Jeep, no more two hands on the wheel and no more butthole puckering moments, at least so far. I will say the Jeep is about 80% better than what it was. I can actually live with the Jeep the way it is. However, I know it can be better. The wandering has been reduced, the twitchy steering is relatively gone and the ride is a lot smoother. Even getting on the brakes hard is a lot more confident inspiring than before. The Jeep simply, is not all over the road!

Installing the drop bracket was not that difficult, it's merely a handful of bolts to loosen and re-torque. The two front lower controller arms bolts were the biggest issue. I had to get a breaker bar with a three foot cheater on it to break them free. Besides having to run to home depot to grab a bigger torque wrench the whole thing took me about 3 hours. I was in no rush and was also checking out the rest of the steering linkage for loose nuts and bolts. Im sure two experienced guys could knock this out a lot quicker. Cheers!
Sponsored

Last edited:

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
sweet Glad it's better than before. Post up some pics. What lift was on it? that could still be causing issues (track bar) if you got more than advertised lift (MOPAR) teraflex had a track bar relocation bracet as well, or new track bar to center the axle up front at the least.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
First post, so here we go. Back story. I recently purchased a Jl Rubicon with 4000 miles on it. The Jeep already had a 2.5 inch lift and 20's with 35's. I'm not a fan of 20's on a Jeep, but the Jeep itself was what I was after.. the 20's will ultimately be replaced. Immediately I noticed how rough the Jeep rode, it was significantly rougher than any of my previous lifted vehicles. I attributed this to the 20's and went on driving and enjoying my Jeep. Besides the harsh ride the Jeep had very sensitive steering and seemed to wander all over the road. The wandering and twitchy steering progressively got worse and worse over last 3500 miles. To the point that it was starting to drive me nuts and becoming unsafe! I started reading the forum pages on steering slop, the wandering and the severe bump steer which my Jeep also had btw. Ive also seen that some of the Jeeps have severe vibrations and uncontrollable steering wheel shake, aka death wobble. Luckily my Jeep has not gotten DW or the vibrations. From what I read and gathered, thanks to you guys posting your findings and going through the initial trail and error. I figured my Jeep was lacking enough castor and correcting the castor would be the best place to start, so I ordered the Teraflex Sport Bracket. Spent a few hours Friday putting the bracket on, took it to have the alignment done and spent the rest of the weekend driving around. (my castor now sits and 6.1 and 6.2 degrees) I finally feel confident driving this Jeep, no more two hands on the wheel and no more butthole puckering moments, at least so far. I will say the Jeep is about 80% better than what it was. I can actually live with the Jeep the way it is. However, I know it can be better. The wandering has been reduced, the twitchy steering is relatively gone and the ride is a lot smoother. Even getting on the brakes hard is a lot more confident inspiring than before. The Jeep simply, is not all over the road!

Installing the drop bracket was not that difficult, it's merely a handful of bolts to loosen and re-torch. The two front lower controller arms bolts were the biggest issue. I had to get a breaker bar with a three foot cheater on it to break them free. Besides having to run to home depot to grab a bigger torch wrench the whole thing took me about 3 hours. I was in no rush and was also checking out the rest of the steering linkage for loose nuts and bolts. Im sure two experienced guys could knock this out a lot quicker. Cheers!

Did you happen to know what the caster angle was before you installed the bracket?

OP
OP
JeepFX

JeepFX

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Wrangler
@Midwest22
The truck had a 2.5” lift already on it before I put the bracket on. So the castor was less than what came with the truck stock, what that exact number is I don’t know.

MarkH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Community Manager
Nick. I also purchased a used JLU Rubicon a few months ago with about 2000 miles in it. Absolutely love it. We had ordered a JLU Sahara for the wife and when it arrived I started looking and got lucky. So we have two in the family and hers has the mopar lift and I just ordered the Teraflex drop down bracket. Planning on installing next weekend. You mentioned getting a torch??? Was this for removal of bolts??? I’ll be laying out on gravel stints driveway and was hoping it’s an easy install. No garage :(. Glad to hear this helped yours. My Rubicon isn’t lifted yet and overwhelmed with choices. Love to hear back.

Sponsored

MarkH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Community Manager
Nick. I’m guilty of reading to fast and see I misunderstood your post. Torque wrench!!! Not torch. My bad. Thanks

OP
OP
JeepFX

JeepFX

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Wrangler
@MarkH haha well clearly I can’t spell. But yes you will need a large torque wrench that can do 230lbs. You can easily do this project in your driveway, you may just need an extra hand to break some of the bolts free.

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Nick. I also purchased a used JLU Rubicon a few months ago with about 2000 miles in it. Absolutely love it. We had ordered a JLU Sahara for the wife and when it arrived I started looking and got lucky. So we have two in the family and hers has the mopar lift and I just ordered the Teraflex drop down bracket. Planning on installing next weekend. You mentioned getting a torch??? Was this for removal of bolts??? I’ll be laying out on gravel stints driveway and was hoping it’s an easy install. No garage :(. Glad to hear this helped yours. My Rubicon isn’t lifted yet and overwhelmed with choices. Love to hear back.
How'd the drop bracket work with your Mopar lift?

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
What lift was already put on the Jeep?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Teraflex is over priced on most of their products. $300 for drop brackets is ridiculous. I went Rancho for about half of that.

Sponsored

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Teraflex is over priced on most of their products. $300 for drop brackets is ridiculous. I went Rancho for about half of that.
About how much ground clearance do you lose?

MarkH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Community Manager
How'd the drop bracket work with your Mopar lift?
I haven’t installed them yet because I just discovered the dealership installed the Mopar front springs on the wrong sides. I’m wondering if that is contributing to the bump steer issue???? Going to call dealership tomorrow.
Sponsored