Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Just received after bitching about being told we have to pay for an alignment

Thank you for sending this information. I have some good news! The TSB has been updated to include a required wheel alignment after the steering gear is replaced. The TSB is now 08-003-21.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you for sending this information. I have some good news! The TSB has been updated to include a required wheel alignment after the steering gear is replaced. The TSB is now 08-003-21.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares need print out of this TSB

OP
OP
MMalone

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer

Darlene
Jeep Cares
how can i see TSB, so i understand what issue i am up against as we went through this with the steering TSB. and they balked and stated steering was not an issue when they unloaded Jeep, that it was a Normal Jeep Ride. Until i showed up with the TSB. Was just told by Jeep chat, that i am unable to see TSB?

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Had the TSB done new year's eve. They were very fast to close the case. Now that I've driven a little bit I'm not impressed. I feel as though my AE box had less problems. New AA drifts (after alignment), makes an odd noise in the engine compartment, and if the car is stopped and I slowly turn the wheel it is jerky and doesn't seem right. I emailed back my jeep cares rep. I'm requesting it be checked by another dealership

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had the new box put in yesterday. I previously had a right pull ever since it was new. When I picked it up and spoke with the service manager, he said they checked the alignment after the install and it was good. He then mentioned the caster was higher than stock and I explained I had the Mopar arms in it for better caster. He also said the steering system software was updated to match the new box. So if anyone is having an issue with the new steering box, I'd ensure you received the new software update at the time of the install.

On my drive home, the steering was much better (not making so many tiny corrections) and the right pull was gone. Now the Jeep tracks straight and true, except for when it's following the crown of the road or ruts. I can best describe the steering now as "calm", when before it was "busy".

Sponsored

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Had the new box put in yesterday. I previously had a right pull ever since it was new. When I picked it up and spoke with the service manager, he said they checked the alignment after the install and it was good. He then mentioned the caster was higher than stock and I explained I had the Mopar arms in it for better caster. He also said the steering system software was updated to match the new box. So if anyone is having an issue with the new steering box, I'd ensure you received the new software update at the time of the install.

On my drive home, the steering was much better (not making so many tiny corrections) and the right pull was gone. Now the Jeep tracks straight and true, except for when it's following the crown of the road or ruts. I can best describe the steering now as "calm", when before it was "busy".
That was one of my other questions I forgot to ask. Is there a way to find out if the software programming was done? Is there a way you would be able to check it in the car or through the radio, something like that?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@MMalone and @Jimac,

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a copy of the TSB on the forums. However, we recommend speaking with your dealer. As always, please send a message if you would like support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That was one of my other questions I forgot to ask. Is there a way to find out if the software programming was done? Is there a way you would be able to check it in the car or through the radio, something like that?
The software update is listed as being completed on the invoice:

Jeep Wrangler JL Right Drift after Steering TSB IMG_0715

I don't know of any way to check it through the vehicle's radio. If you don't have your invoice, call the service department and ask them. I'd probably actually want to see the actual invoice in the event you don't trust your service advisor.

Mr.BoJangles_91

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was at my local dealer last week to get the TSB for the steering box replaced. The tech told me there there are two TSB's out right now involving steering. Unfortunately I do not remember their numbers but

1 - was a solve for the loose / wondering steering = replace steering box
2 - is a solve for drifting in steering = I forgot what they replace :(

That's about all I can provide, maybe getting one fixed caused the other?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was at my local dealer last week to get the TSB for the steering box replaced. The tech told me there there are two TSB's out right now involving steering. Unfortunately I do not remember their numbers but

I asked my advisor about multiple TSB's and any updated TSB's as an earlier post stated a new one came out about including an alignment. He showed me the listed TSB's for my VIN and there was only one TSB listed (the original one for the steering box). They still checked the alignment but no adjustment was needed.

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Do you have a copy of work invoice from dealer?

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
The software update is listed as being completed on the invoice:

Jeep Wrangler JL Right Drift after Steering TSB IMG_0715

I don't know of any way to check it through the vehicle's radio. If you don't have your invoice, call the service department and ask them. I'd probably actually want to see the actual invoice in the event you don't trust your service advisor.
This is what I've got...

20210113_204440.jpg

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I've got...

Jeep Wrangler JL Right Drift after Steering TSB 20210113_204440
I'd call or go back and ask them if the software was updated, because it doesn't show that on your invoice. According to my service advisor, the TSB states to update the software as the steel steering gear box has a specific program vs. the replaced aluminum unit.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Had the TSB done new year's eve. They were very fast to close the case. Now that I've driven a little bit I'm not impressed. I feel as though my AE box had less problems. New AA drifts (after alignment), makes an odd noise in the engine compartment, and if the car is stopped and I slowly turn the wheel it is jerky and doesn't seem right. I emailed back my jeep cares rep. I'm requesting it be checked by another dealership
The jerkyness (sp) is caused by air in the system. Park with your front tires on dirt and go lock to lock slowly with the steering wheel holding for a sec or two at the lock. You may need to go back and forth a couple of times. This should force the air out, Works on cars with Rack and Pinion too.

Drift could be caused by the air in the system. When I had mine done I had the same issue. Got the air out and the jerky movement and drift went away.

Andy
Sponsored