Replacing Alternator Advice

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 cj5,2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
How did this work out? I had nearly the same issue & my Jeep is at the dealership. They have had it 2 days and haven’t even looked at it. Can’t move it without an expensive tow so I feel held hostage.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How did this work out? I had nearly the same issue & my Jeep is at the dealership. They have had it 2 days and haven’t even looked at it. Can’t move it without an expensive tow so I feel held hostage.
The OP was "last seen" on this forum the day he last posted on this thread, July 23, 2021. He bailed.

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if there were any garage accidents on that day in Santa Cruz. Lol.
Hahahaha uh oh 😳
I’m curious if anyone else has had these issues as my 2019 JLUR sits at the dealer out of warranty with an extended warranty that has a reputation for trying to deny everything.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Hahahaha uh oh 😳
I’m curious if anyone else has had these issues as my 2019 JLUR sits at the dealer out of warranty with an extended warranty that has a reputation for trying to deny everything.
With that much screwyness, I would bet either (1) something bad with the charging system/alternator/batter(y/ies), and you are hovering at a voltage that the electronics are just barely able to run, but with lots of oddball errors, or (2) there is something wrong with the CAN bus (harness chafed and shorting? bad connection somewhere?)

Sponsored

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With that much screwyness, I would bet either (1) something bad with the charging system/alternator/batter(y/ies), and you are hovering at a voltage that the electronics are just barely able to run, but with lots of oddball errors, or (2) there is something wrong with the CAN bus (harness chafed and shorting? bad connection somewhere?)
Yes it was going nuts. Replaced the aux battery and jumped it. It started and ran well for a few minutes and then did the same thing twice as bad until it died completely. Shutting off and starting again like a poltergeist even with me out of the car.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yes it was going nuts. Replaced the aux battery and jumped it. It started and ran well for a few minutes and then did the same thing twice as bad until it died completely. Shutting off and starting again like a poltergeist even with me out of the car.
I would replace both batteries and reseat fuses.

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
Did this get resolved? What was the fix?

ern007c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JWU SPORT S
Had this exact same issue in my 2019. Came back from a weeks vation and the jeep was dead. Jumped it and had the same issues this guy had. Had it towed to the dealer. They replaced both batteries, alternator and PCM!!!!Thank god i was still under warranty!

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ
Hello,

just bought my first wrangler this year in January. It’s a 2018 JLU Sport S with 41,000 miles.
Just last week after stoping at a store when I went to leave my Jeep wouldn’t start. I had power but no turn over. I used my portable jumper and that didn’t work. A friendly stranger then used their Tacoma to give me a jump. Still nothing. I called a tow and while waiting for them I tried jumping a 3rd time. This time it worked but my wrangler was shaking and sounded like it was going to die. In addition my display was saying “stop safely. Vehicle will shut off soon” dash display we’re going crazy. Blinking/flashing. Wipers came on. After shutting the Jeep off I no longer had any power.

I had my wrangler towed to my local dealership and had it diagnosed. First the dealership said it was the aux battery and fuser relay. Then they said the main fuse was blown and that someone jumped the car reversed. I know for a fact I didn’t do this in my 3 attempts to jump. Said it would be $225 to replace the battery and fuse. Not a big deal.
Well now 10 days later they are telling me the wrangler now needs a new alternator. That they replaced the battery and fuser replay but now the alternator starts smoking when they start the car. They said replacing the alternator will be $1,500. $500 parts, 2 hours labor at $225 an hour plus the cost of battery and fuse replacement.

the dealership also said if changing the alternator doesn’t work that they will have to replace the PCM which would be very costly.

so I have two questions:

should I save the money and change the alternator myself? I’ve been trying to find YouTube videos showing how to do it and can only find videos changing the alternator on the JK. Does anyone have a JL alternator replacement video they know of?

my other question is: does this diagnosis sound correct to this community? How could a 3 year old vehicle already need a new alternator?

thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. This is my first Jeep and my first forum post so please forgive any informalities.
You can NOT just jump-start these engineering monsters. You can find videos on youtube to show the proper procedure for jump-starting without damaging electrical systems. It is a 2-battery system and you must learn the procedure for removing either or both batteries before you do severe damage to all systems. Mine has been a real pain. At 78 years old I have had thousands of hours of experience and never have I seen such a damn abortion as under the hood of my 18 unlimited sport s jl. Yours is simple compared to the crap I have dealt with. All the local parts houses have no reference to a 2018 JL they insist it must be a JK and that will get you the wrong part every time. Good luck. mine has 72K on it.
Sponsored