Sponsored

Alternator Charge

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
My alternator is showing a constant 14.6 14.7 volts. Is this something I should be concerned about?? I have read many threads and not really sure where it should be.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've read about how the charging system is designed to cycle on and off. It only engages when the voltage drops to a certain point, and than disengages when it rises to what you're seeing.

If it were me, I'd have both batteries disconnected and individually load tested. Its possible that you have at least one battery that's just weak enough to keep the alternator constantly cycling. If you do have a weak one, insist that both are replaced because a strong battery tends to not last after being leaned on. You'll possibly end up with a repeated issue down the road.

OP
OP
captainstabbins

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I've read about how the charging system is designed to cycle on and off. It only engages when the voltage drops to a certain point, and than disengages when it rises to what you're seeing.

If it were me, I'd have both batteries disconnected and individually load tested. Its possible that you have at least one battery that's just weak enough to keep the alternator constantly cycling. If you do have a weak one, insist that both are replaced because a strong battery tends to not last after being leaned on. You'll possibly end up with a repeated issue down the road.
Thank you for the response

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
My alternator is showing a constant 14.6 14.7 volts. Is this something I should be concerned about?? I have read many threads and not really sure where it should be.
That is a normal. All of my vehicles read 14V+.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Only if it doesn’t start. I put mine on a charger once a month, and even after being fully charged mine is always at 14+ I’ve never had a no start scenario. I use a Tazer to disable ESS, but if I hit the button it works as designed.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
When I have mine on a charger overnight my Jeep will show 12.6 on the alternator. If I'm showing over 14...and I'm on a long trip....the voltage will drop into the 13's and high 12's. This is normal for a smart alternator.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been sitting in the garage for 32 days with two starts, voltage was 12.2 this morning according to my Fluke. During my first drive since knee replacement driving charge was 14.1 which is totally normal. Gosh it feels good to be free again.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

14.4vdc is normal I see it a lot if I don’t use my float charger during the week when I am not driving it.

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Totally normal. I too thought there was an issue, at first. So if my jeeps been sitting for a few days, it'll charge at 14.6vdc for awhile, usually most of my hwy drive 70 miles to the coast. It'll drop to 13.6vdc, then all the way down to 12.8vdc. But if you really want to mess with your head, watch the Offroad Pages voltage. When driving steady speed it'll be at 12.8vdc, then when you let off the gas, or go down hill, it jumps to 14.6vdc. Totally normal....

Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Mine was up there when my aux battery was dying. One way to check is turn the jeep on to "run" but don't start it - go to the voltage meter at that point. If it's below 12V, then there may be a battery issue. Mine was reading 11.4 - 11.6V and had trouble starting - that's when it was time for the batteries (both) to be replaced.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
when new, my battery charging voltage would initially sit at 14.5ish while coasting or braking, and drop down to 12.7ish at idle (after an hour or two of driving). after 12 months, I noticed that the voltage was always pinned at 14.5ish even after 6 hours of driving. After having an ESS warning and light one morning, I found the combined voltage at the battery terminal to be 12.3 volts. after monitoring the voltage of the main and auxillary batteries separately for a few weeks (disconnect aux neg), I noticed the main was consistently a little less than the aux. I replaced the main battery and now my charging voltage behaviour is back to normal - sits around 14ish for an hour or so if not used in a few days, then drops down to 12-13 at idle after an hour or so of driving.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Only if it doesn’t start. I put mine on a charger once a month, and even after being fully charged mine is always at 14+ I’ve never had a no start scenario. I use a Tazer to disable ESS, but if I hit the button it works as designed.
I do exactly what you do but after a trickle charge my EVIC displayed voltage shows 12.9 and creeps slowly back up to the upper 13’s within a week or so and after about two weeks I’m in the high 13’s to lower 14’s but like I said all works as designed and like you I have ESS disabled but do occasionally check and it works

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

It should be going lower on a long drive.
yes, on long drives it will run around 12.7-13.4v . the system works just fine
Sponsored