Sponsored

Replacement Shocks?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone thought about just replacing The shocks and maybe adding adjustable flex arms to a stock Rubicon, or JL in general?

I’m sure there are quite a few people that do not want to add a complete lift, and would love to have better performing shocks like a good set of remote Fox’s or Icon etc. I have been looking around, but so far it seems like you have to buy a complete lift to get the better shocks for the JL.

I may want a lift down the road, but until then my ideal setup would be for something like the Teraflex Alpine adjustable flex arms, with a set of 2.5 fox or similar remote res. shocks. I like the remote shocks for less fade on higher speed off road situations, and the on-road feel.

Can you run a 2”in lift shock on a factory JL, or would that cause issues?

This will be my first Wrangler, and new to how it works. My WK2 Trailhawk had quadralift and was best of both worlds, but still not a wrangler. Sorry for all the questions, but want to make sure I build this right.
Sponsored

AmericanRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Has anyone thought about just replacing The shocks and maybe adding adjustable flex arms to a stock Rubicon, or JL in general?

I’m sure there are quite a few people that do not want to add a complete lift, and would love to have better performing shocks like a good set of remote Fox’s or Icon etc. I have been looking around, but so far it seems like you have to buy a complete lift to get the better shocks for the JL.

I may want a lift down the road, but until then my ideal setup would be for something like the Teraflex Alpine adjustable flex arms, with a set of 2.5 fox or similar remote res. shocks. I like the remote shocks for less fade on higher speed off road situations, and the on-road feel.

This will be my first Wrangler, and new to how it works. My WK2 Trailhawk had quadralift and was best of both worlds, but still not a wrangler. Sorry for all the questions, but want to make sure I build this right.
Same question.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

I am not a lift expert but I think if you use shocks to lift it requires a higher rate shock so it may stiffen the ride a little. You can accomplish the same thing with a coil spacer kit and won’t change any of the compression rates of the stock components. I am not sure how much you can lift without either a coil spacer or longer coil springs.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I am not a lift expert but I think if you use shocks to lift it requires a higher rate shock so it may stiffen the ride a little. You can accomplish the same thing with a coil spacer kit and won’t change any of the compression rates of the stock components. I am not sure how much you can lift without either a coil spacer or longer coil springs.
I do not want the shocks to actually “lift” the vehicle. I want upgraded shocks that are a little longer than stock that can be run with a 1” budget boost etc. I do not want to run a shock extension bracket.

My goal is to buy a good set of shocks that are long enough to cover me in the future once Teraflwx has their 2” Alpine flex arms available. I want to add the better shocks now with a BB and then swap out to the Teraflex system once available. I know Fox makes a set, as they come with the mopar 2” lift. But as of now you can’t find the Part numbers, or ability to order separate. I prefer the Teraflex Alpine flex arms for their increased strength and adjustment ability that the mopar kit does not have. It will also allow me to Taylor my smaller lift for the off-road driving I plan to do. I am moving to AZ, so I plan on a lot of desert runs, and quite a few mountain trials etc. not to mention MOAB as often as I can.

I plan for 35s as my daily driver tires and most trails, but I will also have a set of 37’s for when I am going somewhere that could use the additi Nail 1” of clearance the tires would give. Etween that, and the 2” alpine setup I think it will pretty much go anywhere I care to go.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Keep in mind right now that everything for the JL is brand new so options are limited but growing.

To answer you question yes you can buy shocks separate from a lift kit most shock brands like bilstein will sell you a shock based on spec but you need to do some homework before hand, what size/style are the upper and lower mounts, whats the stiffness you want, and most important in regards to this question is what is the shock travel length the overall length of the shock. The overall length of the shock and the travel length will depend on you application and will change when you put on a lift, and I do not know if anyone is planning on making a long travel shock that will fit stock to 2+" So I would say hold off on a shock until you get your lift and tires squared away as that will determine what shock to get the most.

As for control arms I know of a few companies that are making adjustable that work with stock plus several inches. And many of the lift companies if they are any good will sell individual components if you call direct. For me it is too early to pull the trigger on suspension parts but I am eying clayton's control arms as a replacement get a good budget boost and measure out shocks and bump stop as needed but that is probably a few years down the road for me

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/products/vehicle/jl_wrangler_18

My last jeep that I lifted is my 01 XJ where I pieced together a lift kit, TNT long arms, BDS springs (same they used in their 4" kit), rustys shackle extension, and bilstein 5150s, clayton trackbar. Thing road like a dream on and off road, priced the same a higher end complete kits but overall better quality.
Sponsored