Sponsored

Replace the aux battery with a full size battery?

DeBo3359

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2009 H-3hummer
Is it possible to get rid of the auxiliary battery and replace it with a full size battery the same as the main battery. Would that make a difference in the way the batteries are used and would they last longer? I have a fridge and a winch to hook up.
Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I installed the Genesis System within 6 months after getting my JL. Except for mounting a second regular battery in the back of the vehicle, there is absolutely no place to put one under the hood except as the Genesis System does. I am really happy with my choice even though it was rather pricy. I think that this is your only choice.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As stated you can bypass thatā€™s mentioned in several posts and you can also remove the aux battery and move the positive off the aux to the main crank battery the disconnect the ESS negative off the main negative but DONT USE ESS if doung this as it will put to big of a demand on the one battery.

The only option(s) I know of is Genesis or you could get just the Genesis tray with no top part and put a full size battery in there to take the place of the aux battery but I donā€˜t think that will save you much $$, as you are aware there is limited space under the hood

like @MEHillwalker80 i went the Genesis route and have zero regrets, itā€™s pricy but in the end zero headaches IMHO

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
As stated you can bypass thatā€™s mentioned in several posts and you can also remove the aux battery and move the positive off the aux to the main crank battery the disconnect the ESS negative off the main negative but DONT USE ESS if doung this as it will put to big of a demand on the one battery.

The only option(s) I know of is Genesis or you could get just the Genesis tray with no top part and put a full size battery in there to take the place of the aux battery but I donā€˜t think that will save you much $$, as you are aware there is limited space under the hood

like @MEHillwalker80 i went the Genesis route and have zero regrets, itā€™s pricy but in the end zero headaches IMHO
Exactly. I didnā€™t do this (dual battery tray) because of the space (lack of) and the inability to install a snorkel as a result, besides the fact that I donā€™t go camping with a fridge etc so I donā€™t really need it. I stuck with the little aux battery but I read up on the long ESS bypass thread here so that if I ever get stuck Iā€™ll know how to get around it. I have to get around to building one of those N1-N2 jumpers one of these days.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. I didnā€™t do this (dual battery tray) because of the space (lack of) and the inability to install a snorkel as a result, besides the fact that I donā€™t go camping with a fridge etc so I donā€™t really need it. I stuck with the little aux battery but I read up on the long ESS bypass thread here so that if I ever get stuck Iā€™ll know how to get around it. I have to get around to building one of those N1-N2 jumpers one of these days.
Could just get this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C46HD9L/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HDPR6JEXYTCZPT4EY7KC and then a few ring terminals and I think M8 or M6 wing nuts, I cant remember the size

OP
OP
DeBo3359

DeBo3359

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2009 H-3hummer
I didnā€™t mention, I also have a snorkel that runs over the top of the battery and the fuse enclosure. So the Genesis system is kind of out of the mix.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I didnā€™t mention, I also have a snorkel that runs over the top of the battery and the fuse enclosure. So the Genesis system is kind of out of the mix.
Then I think youā€™re out of luck for full sized 2nd battery options unless you relocate it far aft.

Iā€™m curious if there will be aftermarket options for higher quality aux batteries. Mine is coming up on 3 years old from build date (who knows when the battery was made) in August so Iā€™m expecting to have to replace it soon. If it dies totally without warning such that I canā€™t crank Iā€™ll use the bypass.

Itā€™s been commented on a lot here in other threads but Iā€™ll state it again: really not a great redundancy design for a vehicle thatā€™s meant to take you off grid.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Rufus you are correct itā€™s a terrible design for an off-road vehicle, my son has a 201O JK that has huge amounts of empty space under the hood, hell you can even see the entire drive belt so itā€™s all easy to work on.

I think over the years we as owners have demanded more and more creature comforts in out vehicles and then the maker has to keep up with the demands of the EPA.

I personally considered just going to one battery but realizing I have a wince and power some lights along with the occasional use of a compressor I went with the Genesis system and it may be a placebo affect but my JL seems much happier with the dual battery setup as things seem to just run better electrically, donā€™t get me wrong it ran ok with the stock setup but lots of times I had issues with Uconnect and it seemed to grunt alittle after pulling juice off the main for aux use and all of those issues disappeared after the Genesis install.

I will have to say I have pretty much zero space under the hood now so running a cold air intake would be a challenge Iā€™m thinking.
Sponsored