• Total voters

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
My biggest fear with these, is reversing in deep snow or mud and having them ripped partially off. Then you have a dangly bit on the front until you can get underneath it with tools to get it off.

I took mine off on my JK almost immediately. I like how it had that boxed steel beam underneath for actual protection. It looks like there’s nothing like that on the JL, so the tie rod will be the first thing to hit a rock or stump.
No crash bar like the jk? Uh oh lol.
Sponsored

SamfromTX

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLU Rubicon. Past Jeep: 2011 JK Rubicon
This is a must leave on item atleast for people who offroad as it protects vitals..
On the Rubicon, it is a thick metal. I agree with you because this looks like a skid plate for the electronic sway bar disconnect. The plastic one, on the other hand, is of questionable value.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I just did mine a few minutes ago. 10 minute job, 5 of which was spent looking at stuff underneath.

There is a metal plate behind the dam, but it's thin steel, and more of a bracket to support the dam than anything else. Nothing immediately vulnerable underneath on the Sport S, except the tie rod, but if it's hard enough to hurt the tie rod it will annihilate that plastic and tin.

It is nice to see provisions for a proper and serious skid plate though. That will probably happen whenever I decide on a bumper.

YJcUQ76l.jpg

cTZkvCml.jpg

SmfJwDbl.jpg

4o10xDh.jpg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the steel skidplate doesn't appear to hang as low as the plastic airdam does. That was the same deal with the JK's skidplate that was paired with the 10A/Hard Rock bumper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LailaiJl

LailaiJl

First Name
Laina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Jl Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just did mine a few minutes ago. 10 minute job, 5 of which was spent looking at stuff underneath.

There is a metal plate behind the dam, but it's thin steel, and more of a bracket to support the dam than anything else. Nothing immediately vulnerable underneath on the Sport S, except the tie rod, but if it's hard enough to hurt the tie rod it will annihilate that plastic and tin.

It is nice to see provisions for a proper and serious skid plate though. That will probably happen whenever I decide on a bumper.

YJcUQ76l.jpg

cTZkvCml.jpg

SmfJwDbl.jpg

4o10xDh.jpg

Yay! It looks Awesome! I hope to get ours off when we do the lift.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
They never removed the dam support bracket. I thought about leaving it on there, but there were two dangly tabs on the bottom that would have been immediately mangled off road.

It’s one of those things that’s easy to remove when new, but I’m sure after a few years of rust, the interlocking tabs that mate with the frame will rust together as one.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Might be worth it to take it off before a trail ride and back on afterwards.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well I decided to leave it on my JKU after actually crawling under with tools to take it off. I looked at it and realized that it served a great purpose. Yes, it saves fuel. But it also directs road salt, water, and possible road debris away from vital axle components while on the highway. So I figured I'd give it a chance and if it gets ripped off on the trail, so be it. It was meant to come off. Well, I wheeled that Jeep all over the offroad parks of the south and never once did it ever get ripped off. I had it in deep mud, no problem. Deep snow, no problem.

My advice is to leave it on and let it do it's job.

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Well I decided to leave it on my JKU after actually crawling under with tools to take it off. I looked at it and realized that it served a great purpose. Yes, it saves fuel. But it also directs road salt, water, and possible road debris away from vital axle components while on the highway. So I figured I'd give it a chance and if it gets ripped off on the trail, so be it. It was meant to come off. Well, I wheeled that Jeep all over the offroad parks of the south and never once did it ever get ripped off. I had it in deep mud, no problem. Deep snow, no problem.

My advice is to leave it on and let it do it's job.
I always put mine back on during winter months for reasons you listed.

SubZero_JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Military
Looks SO much better, I will be making these mods to mine!
Did you have to do any cutting? I attached a picture of how mine is now. I can take of the metal piece with 2 bolts but I still have 2 vertical pieces hanging down further than yours.

IMG_5895.JPG

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Practically everyone who swapped out their bumpers removed the splash guards, but some kept the skid plate or installed an aftermarket skid.
Sponsored