Removing steering wheel from Jl

Jairo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hello, I’m going to be installing a carbon fiber steering wheel. And I will need to remove my old one. Do you guys know if I only need to disconnect the main crank big battery. Or as well the smaller one under the fuse box area. I don’t want the airbag deploying on me. So I want to make sure. Thanks.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Jeep Wrangler JL Removing steering wheel from Jl Jeep power disconnect

OP
OP

Jairo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
So it’s supposed to look like the last pic after everything is done? Isn’t it still connected though? Since the red positive is also connected. Which is confusing. Since wouldn’t it still get power? Thanks.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So it’s supposed to look like the last pic after everything is done?
Yes.

Isn’t it still connected though? Since the red positive is also connected. Which is confusing. Since wouldn’t it still get power?
Without the negative/ground connected, nothing will be powered.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Jairo,
There are two (2) batteries in the JL Jeep equipped with ESS. One of them is not obvious. It's cruicial to follow the instructions as written in the attachment I provided or power may still energize the system.

Step #3 is very important exactly as shown. Disconnecting and separating the Supplemental Battery negative cable from the main battery negative cable will ensure the Supplemental Battery is not able to power the vehicle systems. The other end of that Supplemental Battery negative cable is hooked to the Supplemental battery.

Then, removing the Main Battery negative cable from the Main Battery removes the ability of the Main Battery to power the vehicle systems.

In a DC system for a vehicle, you don't need to disconnect the "positive" side of the battery to remove power, IF you remove the negative side.

Please follow the posted instructions, as they are from the manufacturer and are important in keeping you safe.

Sponsored

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I can confirm this process works. Remove the supplemental ground wire #2 and isolate. Then remove the negative terminal from the battery post and isolate.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jairo

By your post, I see you are understandably so, focusing your concerns on the RED positive connections on the Main battery.. I understand your concerns...

Do know that you do not have to disconnect any of those RED positive connections on the Main battery. Again, leave all alone on the positive side of the Main battery...

As very cleared shown in the image posted by @roaniecowpony , you MUST disconnect and separate ALL connections on the NEG side of the Main battery in order to kill all 12v power going to the JL from both the Main and Aux. battery..

Just look at the image posted above very closely....

IMPORTANT: After you disconnect and separate ALL the connections on the NEG side of the Main battery as shown in the image, DO wait a few minutes before you go fooling with anything....

Jeep Wrangler JL Removing steering wheel from Jl Disconnect 12V Power.JPG

OP
OP

Jairo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Jairo,
There are two (2) batteries in the JL Jeep equipped with ESS. One of them is not obvious. It's cruicial to follow the instructions as written in the attachment I provided or power may still energize the system.

Step #3 is very important exactly as shown. Disconnecting and separating the Supplemental Battery negative cable from the main battery negative cable will ensure the Supplemental Battery is not able to power the vehicle systems. The other end of that Supplemental Battery negative cable is hooked to the Supplemental battery.

Then, removing the Main Battery negative cable from the Main Battery removes the ability of the Main Battery to power the vehicle systems.

In a DC system for a vehicle, you don't need to disconnect the "positive" side of the battery to remove power, IF you remove the negative side.

Please follow the posted instructions, as they are from the manufacturer and are important in keeping you safe.
I just followed the instructions as shown in the picture. Should I be all set to start working on removing the wheel? Thank you so much for the help!

54E16CA6-728E-4106-AA50-381F107667AB.jpeg

1623A4AE-A876-4CBB-AA7D-F415027ED50D.jpeg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Should I be all set to start working on removing the wheel?
Should be good to go. Just be sure to keep the negative leads from touching each other or the negative terminal on the battery.

Sponsored