OP
OP
GPWER

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
Keep in mind those AUX batteries are a 24 month battery not a fun job for every 2 years if you even see that out of them mine lasted 10 months.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GPWER

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
So the positive from the Aux battery gets hooked to the positive on the main battery, the negative on the Aux battery gets taped?
Yes I taped it but its not required also you do need to bend terminal connector for a good flush fit good luck.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@sourdough if you run with ESS all the time going to one battery is fine as long as you go to a beefier battery if you are running aux equip as lights, winch etc....can take a toll on a smaller battery.

Not sure what to suggest for a single battery as I run a modified dual system using two full size batteries but a few here beefed up there main and running one so maybe they can chime in.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@sourdough running a second battery not under the hood takes up space if you pack out unless someone has a kit that finds space for one not under the hood.

I run a dual under hood Genesis and run aux lights, winch and portable compressor and my stock 200 amp alternator seems to keep up but I do weekly charges.

muxi

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I was following all these neverending discussions about ess disable, aux battery bypass with my confusion growing by each thread message.
Just followed GPWER advice and simply throwed my AUX battery into the bin. No bypass, no fuses, no complicated circuits. Jeep works fine, the only thing that reminds me of this overengineered rube goldberg machinery is a small yellow icon on the dashboard. Bonus feature gained for free is the disabled start/stop system.

Sponsored

muxi

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
almost forgot, another positive thing coming out of this is the ability of using a single LiFePo battery (8kg, 1500CCA) instead of the combined weight of 26kg 700CCA from the dual lead battery system from the stock Rubicon JL

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
almost forgot, another positive thing coming out of this is the ability of using a single LiFePo battery (8kg, 1500CCA) instead of the combined weight of 26kg 700CCA from the dual lead battery system from the stock Rubicon JL
any dash lights after removing your aux?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, a beep at startup and a yellow ess start/stop icon.
I am wondering if OBD JScan can remove this dash light, I will post again if that is the case
I’m not 100% sure but I think JSCAN or Tazer would take care of this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GPWER

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
My jeep was a 2019 Rubicon absolutely no lights or sounds on dash. No ESS issues electronic issues were resolved.

muxi

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I tried JSCAN but could not make the yellow dashlight go away. No Tazer available.
But even so, I would say thats only a minor inconvenience.

muxi

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Worth noting that I just simply removed the AUX battery without reconecting the red wires to the main battery positive.

correfe

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
I have read many complaints on ESS and AUX battery I removed mine today,. I was charging at 14.4 to 14.9 volts regularly and on the battery highlighted do not charge over 14.4 volts. My ESS would rarely work and called for service often. I read about people using jumpers at fuse block and installing dual battery trays but i didnt want the expense. Lastly the isea of having a battery short out my other battery not thrilled and the battery life of AUX battery is 2 years from what I understand.
I purchased new battery after removing AUX battery and hooked up positive AUX battery cable to positive terminal and now I charge at 12.9 to 13.2 volts and I can jump start at any time should I need to and peace of mind any problems with battery are visible my stock ones were clearly seeping acid out by terminals. I got the Idea from a YOUTUBE vid on the genesis battery tray install. OOPS forgot another thing on ESS battery voltage dropped quickly into the 11.9 volts sometimes I would wonder if it would restart. Voltage no longer drops stop start works sometimes but when it does voltage doesn't drop anymore, I feel it was a great alternative to buying 600.00 DOLLAR BATTERY TRAY AND 2 MORE BATTERIES . Any questions or concerns please feel free to critique also if you have any questions on access or tricks to get to AUX battery or re assembly I would be happy to answer.
Do you have a video or any pics showing which cables to connect or remove?

That would be pretty helpfull.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Worth noting that I just simply removed the AUX battery without reconecting the red wires to the main battery positive.
That's why you have the error. You can also just unplug the PCR to get rid of the error if you don't want to move the aux cables or install a jumper.
Sponsored