Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
There are multiple ways to remove the aux and lots of ways to bypass and even a few other ways on dealing with the aux, heres my way :like:

B0F86FCA-5FC3-44FD-ACF9-D0F356323821.jpeg
Sponsored

Ghuddy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl Sahara
There are multiple ways to remove the aux and lots of ways to bypass and even a few other ways on dealing with the aux, heres my way :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Removed AUX Battery B0F86FCA-5FC3-44FD-ACF9-D0F356323821
Dual battery system? I successfully eliminated the aux... I'm a little worried about other consequences (I'm not knowledgeable about all of this... But figured I had better learn). I'm not sure why even with both new batteries I had trouble running my jeep (low voltage, crazy lights, eventually shut off). Another forum member suggested N3. If so, why would the problem be solved after aux removal? Thank you all!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Dual battery system? I successfully eliminated the aux... I'm a little worried about other consequences (I'm not knowledgeable about all of this... But figured I had better learn). I'm not sure why even with both new batteries I had trouble running my jeep (low voltage, crazy lights, eventually shut off). Another forum member suggested N3. If so, why would the problem be solved after aux removal? Thank you all!
Yes dual Genesis, there are a few issues with the FCA design..

One of the main issues with the FCA design is its overly engineered running a dual battery setup with batteries that are not sized the same then you add in the location of the ESS battery.

The location of the ESS battery has to be accessed by either removing the PDC or removing the fender flare, apparently the second method is the preferred and this is how dealers do it, also earlier designs were failed because if the ESS battery failed your Jeep would not start but this has been corrected with a patch but if the ESS battery fails since they are tied together this has and can pull the main battery down and leave you stuck.

Lots of members here have installed bypasses that leave the ESS battery intact but isolated and charge accordingly and use it as a sort of jump start and others have just removed the ESS battery and moved the positive lead to the main crank and then removed the ESS negative off the crank battery but this method taxes the main for ESS events so it’s highly recommended not to use ESS if doing this.

Lastly there are several like me that ripped out both batteries and installed a dual Genesis system or similar that uses two identical full size batteries and offer things like a built in boost feature but mainly offer the extra power to run aux equipment.

All the methods mentioned have pluses and minuses and the cost ranges from as cheaply as $10 for a simple bypass to as expensive as $1k for a dual system so it’s up to you as a Jeep owner to decide what route you pick to suit your needs.

As far as having electrical issues these all seem to be tied to one or both factory batteries having problems and usually it’s the aux battery and apparently Jeep uses crappy batteries, some have had great luck and others not so much but in the end it’s honestly a poor design that we as owners have to work thru but hey it’s a Jeep and we Mod everything :like:

Ghuddy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl Sahara
Thank you! I am now running with one battery (aux positive wired directly to main battery).... Hoping I didn't cause any other issues by doing that. Maybe I'll go to the genesis eventually... One thing at a time!! Thanks again!

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
I must be lucky because I have never had any battery problems (no other problem with this JEEP), my Wrangler is one of the first to arrive in France and manufactured in July 2018. I must tell you that I systematically deactivate the ESS. You are right a system with 2 batteries in parallel of different capacities is a low technical solution.

Sponsored

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have read many complaints on ESS and AUX battery I removed mine today,. I was charging at 14.4 to 14.9 volts regularly and on the battery highlighted do not charge over 14.4 volts. My ESS would rarely work and called for service often. I read about people using jumpers at fuse block and installing dual battery trays but i didnt want the expense. Lastly the isea of having a battery short out my other battery not thrilled and the battery life of AUX battery is 2 years from what I understand.
I purchased new battery after removing AUX battery and hooked up positive AUX battery cable to positive terminal and now I charge at 12.9 to 13.2 volts and I can jump start at any time should I need to and peace of mind any problems with battery are visible my stock ones were clearly seeping acid out by terminals. I got the Idea from a YOUTUBE vid on the genesis battery tray install. OOPS forgot another thing on ESS battery voltage dropped quickly into the 11.9 volts sometimes I would wonder if it would restart. Voltage no longer drops stop start works sometimes but when it does voltage doesn't drop anymore, I feel it was a great alternative to buying 600.00 DOLLAR BATTERY TRAY AND 2 MORE BATTERIES . Any questions or concerns please feel free to critique also if you have any questions on access or tricks to get to AUX battery or re assembly I would be happy to answer.
So the positive from the Aux battery gets hooked to the positive on the main battery, the negative on the Aux battery gets taped?

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Thank you! I am now running with one battery (aux positive wired directly to main battery).... Hoping I didn't cause any other issues by doing that. Maybe I'll go to the genesis eventually... One thing at a time!! Thanks again!
how's that method working out for u?

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR

Sponsored

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I turn off ESS every time I start the Jeep. I just replaced both Aux and main battery. Wondering if just removing the Aux altogether is the best solution for me.

Ghuddy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl Sahara
Interestingly, before going with the single battery option (earlier today), I replaced both batteries.... Jeep still struggled to stay running and had all sorts of warning lights. I couldn't jump start it before replacing both batteries.... Was a bit of a disaster (all happened in a parking lot). I may have had a blown N3 fuse from what I gathered from other forum members. Either way, connecting aux positive to main battery got me home... And I can't say I hate having one battery! Hopefully I didn't mess anything else up during the process.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I turn off ESS every time I start the Jeep. I just replaced both Aux and main battery. Wondering if just removing the Aux altogether is the best solution for me.
Why remove it? Just bypass it. It’s new, so maintain it and keep it installed as emergency power in case your main ever dies or gets too low to crank.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removed AUX Battery 1618108289211

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Why remove it? Just bypass it. It’s new, so maintain it and keep it installed as emergency power in case your main ever dies or gets too low to crank.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removed AUX Battery 1618108289211
Very good , I will buy this circuit breaker. The auxiliary battery is only for the ESS and as I put it off all the time. And regularly a small charge on the auxiliary battery.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL