Sponsored

Removable doors on JL/JLU?

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Hey guys, I've got a question that I hope can at least in some way be answered. With all the talk about all the new stuff coming on the JL, I remember hearing a rumor that the doors will not be removable, but it wasn't talked about much or confirmed nor unconfirmed. I know the roof panels will be different, and the windshield will not be removable, but what about the doors? Will the doors still come off like all the previous generations like YJ, TJ, JK?

If it turns out they won't be removable, honestly that's a deal breaker for me. I'd rather scoop up a 2018 JKU if that's the case.
Sponsored

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
Everything I've read and seen online thus far about the JL indicates that removable doors WILL be a standard feature. I agree with you in that if no removable doors, I will NOT get a JL. IMHO, the ability to go door-less, window-less and of course top-less is perhaps one of the most important benefits and attractions of having a Wrangler.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
If the doors don't come off The JKU or JT (haven't decided which way I go)I'll buy a Ranger or wait for the Bronco.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If the doors don't come off The JKU or JT (haven't decided which way I go)I'll buy a Ranger or wait for the Bronco.
Why? The Doors wont be coming off those either.

I guess I'm the minority as I have no desire to take the doors off from a strictly safety perspective. I like the half doors, but I have no desire to run doorless.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I like my full doors and top off. Full doors with the windows up work well on cold nights and mornings, just blast the heat to the floors. It is cool to take them off once in a while, but in 20 years, I've really only done so 3-4 times, and never over night.

Sponsored

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I'm of 2 minds on removable doors. I love that I have the option but in all honestly I can count on one hand how many times I've actually removed the doors and they went back on after a day. I'd be sad to see it go, but on the other hand it would probably mean real door hinges that actually keep the door open and more solid door construction.

I drive my young daughter around in my Jeep sometimes and it'd be nice to see the side impact crash ratings improved for more peace of mind if nothing else.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why? The Doors wont be coming off those either.

I guess I'm the minority as I have no desire to take the doors off from a strictly safety perspective. I like the half doors, but I have no desire to run doorless.
Because I like cruising around on the beach and that's more enjoyable with the doors off. Ease of access into ths water. depending on quality of the vehicles I will lean towards the best vehicle, if what I mean by tossing the other two competitors into the mix.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I just meant why the Wrangler would be out if the doors don't come off, as you said you would get the Ranger or Bronco instead, and the doors will definitely not be coming off those.

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I'd buy a vehicle based only the reasoning I could remove the doors..
Each to their own but this is the ONLY reason why I would buy the JL, for the doors, roof, and rear windows to be fully removable and experience true open driving. This type of free - open air driving is the best on 4 wheels. IMHO, it is the next best open air driving after a motorcycle.

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do some more online research my friend... This is what sold me on the JL as opposed to buying a current JK. Here is a link to another thread and scroll down to the middle for a gif rendering of how the top / doors / windows will be removable.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-unlimited-and-pickup-preview-renderings.352/

(OK, have to run now... It is mid February and we are having beautiful weather today, 83' and sunny... bikini, Vette and beach time. Can't wait to take my JL to the beach!!)

Sponsored

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just meant why the Wrangler would be out if the doors don't come off, as you said you would get the Ranger or Bronco instead, and the doors will definitely not be coming off those.
Because it is the primary reason I love driving a Jeep, without that I may as well drive something else.

TBH I looked at the Ranger/Bronco and I'm intrigued, if it's a better vehicle I would lean towards it. The Removable doors make the Jeep above and beyond for me.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Because it is the primary reason I love driving a Jeep, without that I may as well drive something else.

TBH I looked at the Ranger/Bronco and I'm intrigued, if it's a better vehicle I would lean towards it. The Removable doors make the Jeep above and beyond for me.
I'm intrigued by the Bronco as well and as a Ford guy at heart I could really see it earning my $$$s, however currently Im more interested in a pick up and I know the Ranger will be lack luster compared to the JT pickup (mostly from a styling point), but I'm not going to cross anything off my list till I can check them out fully.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
I'm intrigued by the Bronco as well and as a Ford guy at heart I could really see it earning my $$$s, however currently Im more interested in a pick up and I know the Ranger will be lack luster compared to the JT pickup (mostly from a styling point), but I'm not going to cross anything off my list till I can check them out fully.
Won't be hard for the JT pickup to beat this bulbous thing in styling lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removable doors on JL/JLU? {filename}

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Won't be hard for the JT pickup to beat this bulbous thing in styling lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removable doors on JL/JLU? {filename}
Yea that looks terrible ..... just like the Colorado & Canyon. The only other pick up I like in that group is the Tacoma, but its V6 leaves a lot to be desired.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
I'm guessing like the folding windshield the
I'm of 2 minds on removable doors. I love that I have the option but in all honestly I can count on one hand how many times I've actually removed the doors and they went back on after a day. I'd be sad to see it go, but on the other hand it would probably mean real door hinges that actually keep the door open and more solid door construction.

I drive my young daughter around in my Jeep sometimes and it'd be nice to see the side impact crash ratings improved for more peace of mind if nothing else.
I wish they'll give us the best of both worlds somehow and give us removable doors on the JL that will also have hinges and some better side impact protection built in.
Sponsored