2020 JLU. Removable Front Dual Roof Panels

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Guys, With summer weather here, I removed the two front roof top panels, to enjoy the weather. There are 3 brackets for each panel, for a total of 6 brackets, that lug tight into the frame to keep it in place. When I took them out, I did not realize that there are 2 sets, of 3 each brackets, different from each other.
Now that I wanted to put them back, realised that I should have taken a picture of it before, as I had a hard time figuring not only which bracket goes where, but also how they are oriented to put in place before bolting them down.
Can anyone please send a picture of the inside driver and passenger front roof top panels, that shows how the 6 brackets are screwed into the body.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
You’ll need to download the picture and zoom in for instructions on how to remove the freedom panel. When removing, remove the driver’s side first and then the passenger’s side. Reinstall in by putting the passenger side in first and then the driver’s side.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 960A89D6-DBE0-4C25-ACC4-8EEEBABF3246

Also the L shaped locks did not need to be unbolted at all. The picture that I posted comes from the owner’s manual. It’s a good idea to read the owner’s manual to get to know your vehicle better.

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
You mentioned "bolting them down" and "screwing them back into the body"... Don't tell me you unscrewed the brackets from the panels. If not it's not a matter of which bracket goes where. It's a matter of looking at the shape of the panel and figure out how it fits into the top

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Front
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 20190802_165705

Rear
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 20190802_165713

And not the greatest shot of the driver side. Not with my Jeep to take a better pic, but the side handles aim forward when latched. Also, these are oriented and function just like the factory plastic ones.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 20190802_165728

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a lot everybody. All info is very helpful.
Headbarcode, would it be possible to get pictures of the two door side brackets. Your pictures were very helpful.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Thanks a lot everybody. All info is very helpful.
Headbarcode, would it be possible to get pictures of the two door side brackets. Your pictures were very helpful.
So did you unscrew the latches from the panels?

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Removed 6 screws with the tool supplied, to remove the L shaped brackets, to lift up the panel, following manual.

I want help to put them back now.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Removed 6 screws with the tool supplied, to remove the L shaped brackets, to lift up the panel, following manual.

I want help to put them back now.
Sounds like the manual was confusing. That sucks. Once you get them back in place correctly, just know that no tools are required to remove the front panels. Just flip the brackets and lift. :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2 latches do not need to be unscrewed. Just pull it down to dislodge the panel, to free it up to be lifted out, once the brackets are removed.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 6 brackets do need to be screwed in to put them back, after which you flip the latch down to lock it shut.
I AM LOOKING FOR PICTURES OF THE ORIENTATION OF THE L SHAPED BRACKETS, SO I MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN PLACE CORRECTLY.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Sounds like the manual was confusing. That sucks. Once you get them back in place correctly, just know that no tools are required to remove the front panels. Just flip the brackets and lift. :like:
Not sure how the manual was confusing, there is no mention of tools required to remove the freedom panels. If you read the instructions in the tool kit, there are no instructions to unscrew anything from the freedom panels. This is one of those head scratching moments. I often wonder why Jeep just didn't go with one size for the bolts intended for owners to remove and simplify the tool kit; if these bolts that were not intended to be removed were a different size than what's included in the tool kit, this would not have happened. Sorry, I'm not with my Jeep right now otherwise I would help you out.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 1595161718021

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not sure how the manual was confusing, there is no mention of tools required to remove the freedom panels. If you read the instructions in the tool kit, there are no instructions to unscrew anything from the freedom panels. This is one of those head scratching moments. I often wonder why Jeep just didn't go with one size for the bolts intended for owners to remove and simplify the tool kit; if these bolts that were not intended to be removed were a different size than what's included in the tool kit, this would not have happened. Sorry, I'm not with my Jeep right now otherwise I would help you out.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU.    Removable Front Dual Roof Panels 1595161718021
Yeah that bothers me more than it ought to. It’s not like T-45 and T-50 are that far off. And some don’t make a lot of sense like the frame pieces for the soft top. Almost all are T-45 except the two at the tailgate are T-50.

And while you’re at it - instead of stupid nuts with plastic caps on the wipers, can we just put an internal thread on the wiper shaft and use a nice black T-50 or T-45 bolt to secure them too.

One tool. One size.
Sponsored