First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Today (10/3/22) I spoke to Martha at HERE about the release date for the 8.4" Uconnect screen NAV Map Update. As per Martha, the next map update release date is scheduled for November 21, 2022. :)
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The built-in nav? When purchasing a new Jeep, are we entitled to any free map updates within a certain period of time?

I have a feeling they're still charging for them, but imo map updates should be free during the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, or at the very least, allow 1 free update before that expires.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software updates for Uconnect may be free, but HERE map updates are about $150 US. About 6 months after a release date, HERE may offer the aging update with a $50 discount.

Reactions: AFD

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Factory Nav is pathetic... No way would I spend $ to update the maps... Especially when the so called update will be outdated from the get go.

Anyone that does any traveling/interstate traveling is wise to use Google Maps or Waze.... or a combo of Maps and Waze.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Factory Nav is pathetic... No way would I spend $ to update the maps... Especially when the so called update will be outdated from the get go.

Anyone that does any traveling/interstate traveling is wise to use Google Maps or Waze.... or a combo of Maps and Waze.
When you receive the HERE new release, some of the map data is already about one year old. Google maps are updated on a daily basis.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Right? I'm amazed that anyone even considers using on-board nav in any vehicle. Google Maps, Waze, Gaia, OnX... There are SO many exponentially better options right in your pocket.

Seriously, what iOS/Android Nav app is worse than on-board nav? I can't think of any.

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

And because I'm old, I have a copy of my Rand McNally Road Atlas or AAA maps for where ever I'm headed. They may be dated but still provide good nav info.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
And because I'm old, I have a copy of my Rand McNally Road Atlas or AAA maps for where ever I'm headed. They may be dated but still provide good nav info.
@JJ_WA

Well, I'm 73 yrs. old but know that the old way/paper maps.... that I was very adept at using.... and used for many years.... is the laughable way to go these days, if you are out on today's interstates.

Even new paper maps that you buy are outdated long before they hit the shelves ot be sold..

With Maps and Waze you know NOW, again now what is up a head of you and are told to WATCH OUT and redirected route wise.

Nah, being old is no excuse for still having a clam shell cellphone, using paper maps, not being computer literate, etc.... 8-)

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Always, always have a hard copy road atlas! That’s how my wife and I were taught, and were in our late thirties/early forties. Our seven year old loves to sit and read through it when we are driving. He too will learn. We use our GPS for navigation, but having a hard copy backup is just good practice, even if it’s outdated.

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
I personally just really like maps of all kinds. I have a Garmin GPS for both Jeeps and road atlases dating back to 1976. I also use the Jeep's navigation in conjunction with the Garmin plus Google. Each one has different pros and cons. But seriously the roads don't change significantly from year to year. It's just that the one change that affects us that we weren't aware of has a way of making it seem more significant than it truly is.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I use the built-in nav, plus Google maps on my phone, plus a very wrinkled old copy of DeLorme state atlas. Those were excellent map books. Sad to see them gone.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
As a former EW person, it is always good to have and know how to use analog products. GPS signals can easily be targeted in regards to civilian systems.

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

@JJ_WA

Well, I'm 73 yrs. old but know that the old way/paper maps.... that I was very adept at using.... and used for many years.... is the laughable way to go these days, if you are out on today's interstates.

Even new paper maps that you buy are outdated long before they hit the shelves ot be sold..

With Maps and Waze you know NOW, again now what is up a head of you and are told to WATCH OUT and redirected route wise.

Nah, being old is no excuse for still having a clam shell cellphone, using paper maps, not being computer literate, etc.... 8-)
I like Waze for that instant traffic conditions updating and use it all the time on trips. Paper maps are somewhat outdated, true, but major roads seldom change. Paper maps are backup in case of loss of cell and or I want to look at specific areas with a wider view than my phone can give.

And....there's nothing more dramatic than unfurling a map on the hood of a car to show the plan. Just not the same effect by putting your phone on the hood. 😂

Last edited:

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

As a former EW person, it is always good to have and know how to use analog products. GPS signals can easily be targeted in regards to civilian systems.
We had loads of fun using an SG-886 against USAF Bronco pilots during exercises, sending them in the wrong direction.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
We had loads of fun using an SG-886 against USAF Bronco pilots during exercises, sending them in the wrong direction.
There’s nothing like sending an entire company of scouts, who don’t believe in EW, twenty miles out of the way and have the SCO ask where their maps are over Sqdn net.
Sponsored