Regear before bigger tires

Snug

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Last week after a coming back home from a SoCal trip, my rear lockers wouldn't disengage. Took my Jeep into the shop and they found that there were some metal chunks in the rear diff, and it wasn't going to be covered under warranty. The shop said to see if I could get my insurance to cover it as there was some damage under the vehicle. I'm thinking they won't cover it.

The dealership quoted nearly $5000 to repair the gears with parts and labor, since warranties are bullshit, I am thinking about taking it to a shop and regear both axels for less than $5000. My tires are still fairly new and don't want to upgrade yet, and also not sure a lift + 35s would fit in my garage.

TL;DR
Thinking about going 4.56 on stock 33" with the plan to go 35" or 37" likely toward the end of the year, is it okay to regear for larger tires before getting larger tires?

2020 JLUR
Automatic 3.8L
Sponsored

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
It will definitely be quick off the line. Won't hurt anything and makes way more sense than doing it later, since you will already be in there.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
If you’re going to 37s I’d consider 4.88s or 5.13s

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
4.56s would be fine for 33s and later upgrading to 35s but you’ll be spinning higher on the highway than necessary. More so with 4.88s or 5.13s. You’ll take a MPG hit most likely. Won’t hurt the engine to rev higher but might get annoying on those 70+ highways
Sponsored