Quote to regear vs. DIY regear...

JLRubiMD

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just got a $2400 quote from the local shop to regear front and rear JLUR Dana 44s to 4.88s, I'm in the Midwest and wanted to see ballpark wise where that quote compared. Would like to use Dana Spicer Advantek gears and master kits, parts come in at just over $1000 if I bought them myself. I have a AEV Procal Snap to reprogram afterwards... so $1400 labor seems steep though I may be missing something having never done a regear myself. After watching a few videos and reading posts on guys regearing their JLs, I'm tempted to tackle it, but this is my daily driver however and the margin for error seems big enough I'm willing to consider paying someone on this one.

If anyone did a first time ever regear on their own JL, I'd love to hear how it went. I may get more motivated to give it a go. I'm not a mechanic by profession but have always done all of my own work on cars/Jeep. With the exception of a press I have all the tools, and I'm sure I'll be able to either weld up a press or find a local shop to press in the pinion if that's the only limiting factor. Heck, HF sells a 12 ton shop press for 129.99 plus I can usually dig up a 20% off coupon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WandererJL

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I got a quote from a shop here in FL and it came in at $1600 in labor, so the number doesn't seem too far off. I'm with you, I will be tackling the regear on my JLU this weekend so I guess I will see how it goes...

I have done a regear on a F150 in the past and it wasn't incredibly difficult, just need to set aside proper time and take it slow.

OP
OP
JLRubiMD

JLRubiMD

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for the info on the quote, both seem high but I may be underestimating the labor involved. About 15 years ago I gave a guy $200 to regear my TJ after I bought the parts! Man good luck and I'd love an update after. Here's the closest thing to a write up and a separate post with torque specs courtesy chevymitchell, I'm sure you've seen these threads (both pinned) but really good info.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ep-ish-writeup-rubicon-dana-4-88-gears.24719/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dana-44-advantek-specs-for-4-88-re-gear.22854/

I also came across this video on the Dana Spicer website, not exactly a step by step video but seems to give a good overall picture if you haven't checked it out.
https://spicerparts.com/videos/jeep-wrangler-jl-gear-swap-spicer-parts

Wish I was closer to FL, I'd offer to come help!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We charge significantly less and include a 500 mile gear oil change. I don’t want to speak on their behalf but we do these in a couple hours. Maybe a half day if you know what you’re doing. Not to bad.

Brett

OP
OP
JLRubiMD

JLRubiMD

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks Brett, might be worth the drive down honestly and make a mini Jeep vacation out of it, if I recall right there's a bunch of offroad parks in that part of TX...

I'm envisioning it going something like this:
- Vacation day 1: regear.
- Vacation day 2: plan to tear some $h*t up.
- About 5 minutes into vacation day 2: break something I can't fix

giphy.gif

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
We charge significantly less and include a 500 mile gear oil change. I don’t want to speak on their behalf but we do these in a couple hours. Maybe a half day if you know what you’re doing. Not to bad.

Brett
I know i would drive there to do it if i was a lot closer hahaha

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
Regearing cost seems to vary widely around the country. if there are a number of independent offroad focused shops in your area, then it will be cheaper. here in Austin we have probably 6 shops in the area. average cost for a regear including quality gears like Revolution is between 1300-1600.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regearing cost seems to vary widely around the country. if there are a number of independent offroad focused shops in your area, then it will be cheaper. here in Austin we have probably 6 shops in the area. average cost for a regear including quality gears like Revolution is between 1300-1600.
That’s for JKs though right? The JL aftermarket gears are finally starting to hit the market so Dana spicer has had the business for a while. Austin area does have some terrific shops and several are Jeep specific which I think is awesome!

Brett

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
That’s for JKs though right? The JL aftermarket gears are finally starting to hit the market so Dana spicer has had the business for a while. Austin area does have some terrific shops and several are Jeep specific which I think is awesome!

Brett
yes, this is for the JK. obviously with the JL still being new still, the costs may be a touch higher. the OPs quoted $2,400 seems unreasonable though.

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW: I'm in STL and just had a re-gear to 5.13. My cost was 2400, not including the 500mile checkup. From what i know - that was average. I did check with the other major shop in town and they were $100 different. I contemplated doing it myself, but was glad i took to the shop.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I just had a re-gear done in DFW for $1800. Prices are starting to come down.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Re-gearing a JL is the same as a JK. with slightly higher parts costs--same tools/procedures--ETC--BUT

If you DIY. it'll give you training and satisfaction, except !!!!--if you have a problem, or failure--there is no warranty !

You can/will get advice/help from the MFG/shop, but all the costs are gonna be yours-

Best to search for a QUALITY shop to GET-R-DONE

Good luck

JIMBO

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, this is for the JK. obviously with the JL still being new still, the costs may be a touch higher. the OPs quoted $2,400 seems unreasonable though.
I agree. We charge 2k for a regear with a 500 mile service.

Edit. I don’t want to talk down or “shame” a shop. For our area, I don’t think that would be fair to the customer but shops charge that and more every day. They could have significantly more overhead and the market sets the rate. If it’s worth it to the customer, then it’s a great deal!

I just had a re-gear done in DFW for $1800. Prices are starting to come down.
Was that with Dana spicer or G2? Great price either way and both are excellent

Re-gearing a JL is the same as a JK. with slightly higher parts costs--same tools/procedures--ETC--BUT

If you DIY. it'll give you training and satisfaction, except !!!!--if you have a problem, or failure--there is no warranty !

You can/will get advice/help from the MFG/shop, but all the costs are gonna be yours-

Best to search for a QUALITY shop to GET-R-DONE

Good luck

JIMBO
Exactly. Very close procedure besides dealing with the FAD, but it’s just a minor addition

Brett

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Was that with Dana spicer or G2? Great price either way and both are excellent.
Dana Spicer. Their normal rate is $2,000, but had a Mermorial Day special for $1800.
Sponsored