Rear Window: What is this thing?

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
That's what I would've thought, so then how's the fluid getting to the nozzle? Is there supposed to be an external hose that's missing in OP's photos?
Its from the factory like that Tell the OP to post a photo from the interior side of the glass, that will then show u where it is attached ...obviously not on the outside. The hose attaches to a nipple on the inside.
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Its from the factory like that Tell the OP to post a photo from the interior side of the glass, that will then show u where it is attached ...obviously not on the outside. The hose attaches to a nipple on the inside.
So you're saying what I already said - there's a hole in the glass.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
So you're saying what I already said - there's a hole in the glass.
Of course theres a hole in the glass ..are kidding me? The glass was cast with the hole... unless theres some magical new technology that I haven't heard of u can't drill through tempered glass without destroying the glass itself.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Of course theres a hole in the glass ..are kidding me? The glass was cast with the hole... unless theres some magical new technology that I haven't heard of u can't drill through tempered glass without destroying the glass itself.
Whatever dude. No idea how the rear auto glass is made or how they install the nozzle at the factory, and it's irrelevant to my point that mounting the nozzle on the hardtop seems like a better/easier idea. Go speak in riddles to someone else.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Whatever dude. No idea how the rear auto glass is made or how they install the nozzle at the factory, and it's irrelevant to my point that mounting the nozzle on the hardtop seems like a better/easier idea. Go speak in riddles to someone else.
Ur clearly getting the wrong impression of me. Here let me explain .. U stated that the glass was drilled and it wasn't ... this is very relevant to this ...people might come off with the idea that they can drill the glass ..including maybe u and lots of people have made this mistake. So here Ill make another point also ... putting it on the top will complicate things ..the manufactures ....not just jeep ...know this and therefore put it through the glass as this is a much better sealing surface then the the top we have on the JLs...no riddle here

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Thats a big nope U definitely don't want to drill holes in that glass .. in short u'd be left with glass shards.
Exactly! Those holes in our rear windows are drilled before the glass is tempered.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Exactly! Those holes in our rear windows are drilled before the glass is tempered.
Hmm interesting. so drilling is involved ..? because at the manufacturing level it doesn't make much sense to me.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Hmm interesting. so drilling is involved ..? because at the manufacturing level it doesn't make much sense to me.
Drilling into tempered glass will result in what you said. There are several holes drilled in the rear glass before the tempering process. Some holes are for the hinges. I'm not a glass drilling expert so I don't know the entire process or type of bits used. The same reason that the glass can be cut to shape and not have it result in thousands of shards is the same reason they can pre drill those holes before the tempering process is performed.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Drilling into tempered glass will result in what you said. There are several holes drilled in the rear glass before the tempering process. Some holes are for the hinges. I'm not a glass drilling expert so I don't know the entire process or type of bits used. The same reason that the glass can be cut to shape and not have it result in thousands of shards is the same reason they can pre drill those holes before the tempering process is performed.
Drilling glass is a risky process no matter what type it is (obviously tempered absolutely not) I don't see why a manufacturer would even want to spend money on the drill . But times changed since since the 70's maybe they took the risk out of it with newer tech.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Drilling glass is a risky process no matter what type it is (obviously tempered absolutely not) I don't see why a manufacturer would even want to spend money on the drill . But times changed since since the 70's maybe they took the risk out of it with newer tech.
Glass repair places drill into windshield automotive glass all the time. It's literally how you stop it from spreading. It's not tempered though, it's laminated.

Oddly enough, I like to think that the technology has progressed in 50 years.
There is no way the hole in the rear is cast that way. It's just made before the tempering process, by drilling.

Reactions: AFD

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
What about water jets?? Would that safely cut through tempered glass??

Sponsored