Rear Window Blow out!

JIMMIEMAC

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I have a newly purchased 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. When I turned on my rear defroster the rear window exploded like a gun shot, shattering the window. Weather was freezing.
Recently had the dealership reattach the contact wire to the window.
Anyone ever hear of this happening?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have a newly purchased 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. When I turned on my rear defroster the rear window exploded like a gun shot, shattering the window. Weather was freezing.
Welcome to the forum. Searching is easy with Google vs the forum search engine. I searched "rear window broken JLWranglerforum" to get this.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...shattered-from-defective-rear-defogger.60651/

Good luck.

Last edited:

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
That just reaffirms that I’m not getting that shirt wire reattached 😂

seriously though, this is my 2nd winter with it unattached and it hasn’t bothered me yet.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Don't turn on the defroster and fart at the same time 💨 :CWL:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Poorly designed heater grid. Mine detached several months after owning my Jeep. They attempted to repair it 3 times, until I told them to replace the window. That was last year, and it's still attached. The old one would get very hot, and looked scorched, around the.contacts. I haven't used.mine but once, since the new window was put in. It works, now I will use it for emergency defrosting(In Houston).

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
The rear window on our JKU exploded twice, but I don’t believe it was due to the defroster. Both times it happened was immediately after we had reinstalled the top after it had been off all summer. In both instances we had reinstalled the hard top and begun to drive out if the garage when it exploded. The 1st was replaced under warranty & the second time the dealer told us we were on our own. $500 for a new window.

Your situation definitely sounds like warranty replacement. Btw - you’ll probably still be finding pieces of glass in your interior a year from now.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those that have a detached Rear Defroster electric contact / tab loose ... are running with the that cable disconnected.... or if it is partially loose or looks like it has been repaired improperly....

DO, do remove F81, (a 30 amp, Pink Cartridge) that resides in the Power Distribution Center (PDC)!

You want to do this, so............. if you or someone else inadvertently turns on rear window defrost that you do not see fire/smoke/window exploding, etc..

avensis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I didn't know that, it is good to know.

Last edited:

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
mine has come completely off the window. incomplete circuit, how would inadvertently turning it on be a problem?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
mine has come completely off the window. incomplete circuit, how would inadvertently turning it on be a problem?
@Wkaz

My post above where I mentioned it if you have a detached Rear Defroster electric contact / tab loose ... are running with the that cable disconnected.... or if it is partially loose or looks like it has been repaired improperly.... that you should remove F81, (a 30 amp, Pink Cartridge) that resides in the Power Distribution Center (PDC)!

This was kind of a blanket statement of sorts.. Sure at times, you can get away with not removing F81.

Without going into each scenario when you need to or not need to... a blanket statement is to just remove F81..

For sure, if you have a partial pull away of the button tab, a poor repair, if you noted a burning smell, saw smoke, thought there was a chance, of fire, etc., etc, then it would be wise to remove F81.

To me it is best to tell a guy / gal to remove F81 and then all bases are covered so to speak.. Takes all of a few seconds to remove F81. Better safe then sorry so to speak...

Sponsored

cheekibreeki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sahara JL

Deal with this all the time. Actually just ordered a back glass on one today that shattered her glass after using rear defrost. So yah nothing out of the ordinary for me anyway. But I'm sure your everyday person doesn't come across it

cdierks215

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sahara
I have a 2019 hard top Sahara and the same thing happen to me, but it was after I had the car turned off for 3 hours. The back window exploded out of nowhere. (Note:I had the back window replaced at the dealership a year ago after a break in, not sure if that matters.) I agree, something seems faulty with the windows. I noticed that the coils on the back window look burnt on both my old window and the most recent one.
Sponsored