Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my Squadbox 2 days ago and have discovered a major flaw. You can easily reach into the hole on the back left side that is for the hardtop connections and pull out the left top cover piece. I have contacted Tyler regarding this and he has told me they are working on a solution for that and it will be about 3 months before they have a resolution. I am not happy considering it cost over $700, I fought this thing for almost 6 hours trying to install due to the instructions being horrible, only to now discover that it is not as secure as I need it to be.

SB.jpg
I'm sure they'll figure out a good retrofit solution.

I have the Slipstream and it has hardware underneath that secures the top panel to the body side so it cannot be lifted off.
Sponsored

Cipher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU

I have the Slipstream and it has hardware underneath that secures the top panel to the body side so it cannot be lifted off.
Has anyone heard any updates on this? I am very interested in squadbox due to the look and perception that it will minimize vibration/noise but my primary concern is security. I do not want to "rig" a solution together to make the side panels more secure so I am hopeful they've been able to improve the design to ensure panels can't be easily removed.

Thanks in advance!

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone heard any updates on this? I am very interested in squadbox due to the look and perception that it will minimize vibration/noise but my primary concern is security. I do not want to "rig" a solution together to make the side panels more secure so I am hopeful they've been able to improve the design to ensure panels can't be easily removed.

Thanks in advance!
I have not heard from anyone with a squadbox about an update yet. Hopefully someone will reply. I don't have any vibration or rattle with my slipstream after I "shrink tubed" the pins.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x

Just put large stuff on that side until the fix

markgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Since it has been about 2 1/2 months since I installed this, I have emailed Tyler for an update on the solution and am awaiting a response. Tyler has been very good about responding, so I expect to hear something soon. To be honest, the fix that I did really wasn't difficult at all, I just took an L bracket and bent one side of it so that it was more of a Z shape, then screwed that piece to the underside of the back let top piece along the edge so that the Z bracket goes under the metal of the jeep, and it is very secure with that. Overall, I have been very happy with the Squadbox and really pleased at how easily I can remove and re-install the top and front piece behind the rear seat if I need to haul something larger. The one thing I will say is that you absolutely need to have your patience when you first install this, as the directions were very vague, however, when I purchased this, Tyler did provide his cell number and said to call him if I had any questions during the install. It is possible that the instructions have been updated since then. I have also heard very similar install issues with the Slipstream. Bottom line is that to have a secure enclosure such as the Squadbox or the Diabolical Slipstream, it takes some very good engineering from a manufacturing standpoint, and the product will be somewhat difficult to install. Again, I am very happy with the Squadbox and feel that I made the correct decision with going that route.

Sponsored

Cipher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU
I have not heard from anyone with a squadbox about an update yet. Hopefully someone will reply. I don't have any vibration or rattle with my slipstream after I "shrink tubed" the pins.
Great idea - I'll use that method if I decide to go with the Slipstream

Cipher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU
Since it has been about 2 1/2 months since I installed this, I have emailed Tyler for an update on the solution and am awaiting a response. Tyler has been very good about responding, so I expect to hear something soon. To be honest, the fix that I did really wasn't difficult at all, I just took an L bracket and bent one side of it so that it was more of a Z shape, then screwed that piece to the underside of the back let top piece along the edge so that the Z bracket goes under the metal of the jeep, and it is very secure with that. Overall, I have been very happy with the Squadbox and really pleased at how easily I can remove and re-install the top and front piece behind the rear seat if I need to haul something larger. The one thing I will say is that you absolutely need to have your patience when you first install this, as the directions were very vague, however, when I purchased this, Tyler did provide his cell number and said to call him if I had any questions during the install. It is possible that the instructions have been updated since then. I have also heard very similar install issues with the Slipstream. Bottom line is that to have a secure enclosure such as the Squadbox or the Diabolical Slipstream, it takes some very good engineering from a manufacturing standpoint, and the product will be somewhat difficult to install. Again, I am very happy with the Squadbox and feel that I made the correct decision with going that route.
Thanks for the info.

I've heard great things about Squadbox but this has been my one open concern. It's good to know that it would be easy enough to retrofit a method to secure the side panel if needed.

I am not overly concerned about installation of any solution given everything I've read in the forum. This community is fantastic in terms of sharing info on their builds and the process they went through which is always helpful. I've heard great things about Tyler as well as the other solutions so I guess it is good to know that in the end I can't really go wrong no matter which option I select.

I look forward to hearing what you hear from Tyler as this is still my preferred solution.

Thanks in advance!

markgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
so I got a response from Tyler, they have a resolution for this issue and Tyler is shipping me replacement top side pieces within the next week. I would assume that the fix is the go forward with new orders.

Cipher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU
so I got a response from Tyler, they have a resolution for this issue and Tyler is shipping me replacement top side pieces within the next week. I would assume that the fix is the go forward with new orders.
Awesome news - would you mind sharing an update with your impressions once installed? Thanks again!

Last edited:

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Great idea - I'll use that method if I decide to go with the Slipstream
Maybe you meant to say the squad box, because that method is not needed with the slip stream as it is already secured with their own bracket.

Sponsored

Cipher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU
Maybe you meant to say the squad box, because that method is not needed with the slip stream as it is already secured with their own bracket.
No, I was saying that shrink tubing the pins was a good idea and that I would likely do that if I decide to go with the Slipstream. Mind you I have zero experience with any of these solutions but my assumption has been that the Slipstream could introduce vibration/noise which is not there today. @Htfan suggested using shrink tubes on the pins to reduce/remove any vibration on a Slipstream install which I thought was a good idea.

Squadbox is appealing due to the materials used which I assume will limit/eliminate vibration. I am 99% going Squad at this point but keeping an open mind on options as I only want to make this purchase once.

Sorry for any confusion

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
No, I was saying that shrink tubing the pins was a good idea and that I would likely do that if I decide to go with the Slipstream. Mind you I have zero experience with any of these solutions but my assumption has been that the Slipstream could introduce vibration/noise which is not there today. @Htfan suggested using shrink tubes on the pins to reduce/remove any vibration on a Slipstream install which I thought was a good idea.

Squadbox is appealing due to the materials used which I assume will limit/eliminate vibration. I am 99% going Squad at this point but keeping an open mind on options as I only want to make this purchase once.

Sorry for any confusion
Sorry somehow I didn’t realize you were speaking about the pins as I was just skimming the thread and didn’t fully read your quote. I thought you were talking about securing the sides with a bracket.

I have already used heat shrink on the pins. They looked great but I have since removed it because it was such a tight fit and hard to get in and out as often as I pulled the pins it was an added hassle. I posted this in my build thread as I was installing the slip stream months ago. If you don’t plan to pull the pins much it works great.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry somehow I didn’t realize you were speaking about the pins as I was just skimming the thread and didn’t fully read your quote. I thought you were talking about securing the sides with a bracket.

I have already used heat shrink on the pins. They looked great but I have since removed it because it was such a tight fit and hard to get in and out as often as I pulled the pins it was an added hassle. I posted this in my build thread as I was installing the slip stream months ago. If you don’t plan to pull the pins much it works great.
The shrink tube I used on my slipstream pins must be slightly thinner. It made the pins snug and quiet but not much harder to remove/insert.

Cipher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU

No worries - the conversation has jumped around a bit.

You make a good point I hadn't considered when I originally started looking in to this (early, 2020). I will need to be able to remove the top and rear (behind rear seat) panels on a regular basis in order to fit my mountain bike and or other large objects. I just reviewed the Slipstream solution which looks very flexible and would meet this need.

Does anyone have experience with Squadbox and the removal of the top and rear (behind rear seat) panels for carrying larger objects? If so, do you find these quick/easy to remove?

sampjr

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
Ok so I’m new to Jeep 21 Rubicon. Silly question but the is there a front lock panel to the squad box ? If top and doors are off can’t someone just open swing gate to gain entry to squad box and items inside?
Sponsored